What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Canberra Raiders fans miss Mark McLinden?

dubby

Bench
I'll never forget watching him play at Suncorp in 04. He pretty much won the game for us that day, that one on one steal to win the game was nothing short of sensational. I'll never forget that big chinned thug Toni Carroll chasing Marty all game,and clobbering him with a late high shot. The Raiders fans went totally ape.

THanks for the memories Marty...

Paullyboy

Coach
That was one of my happier days. I still remember it clear as day waving our big arse flags. Good times.

ed bbay

Juniors
glad his gone too small a body 4 that big head of his , yes he had talent but never stepped up to the plate he & gaffa are like peas in a pod . ?

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
ed bbay said:
glad his gone too small a body 4 that big head of his , yes he had talent but never stepped up to the plate he & gaffa are like peas in a pod . ?

Anyone else agree with that unique opinion?

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Players and Support Staff

This sections of the website gives you biographies of the Quins RL squad, coaching staff, Academy players and office staff.

Quins1squad1.jpg

Mark McLinden

Originally a junior at West Belconnen Warriors, Mark represented Australian Schoolboys in 1996-97, prior to signing for his hometown club, Canberra Raiders in 1998. Such was Mark's impact on the big stage that he was named NRL Rookie of the Year after his first season.

Additionally in 1998 Mark was selected for the Australian Junior Kangaroos squad. After six years and over 160 NRL appearances at the Raiders, Mark signed for London Broncos in November 2004.

Mark is lightening quick on his feet and he has the reputation of being able to turn a game in an instant. Agile and supremely athletic, Mark has been described by Australia Test coach Ricky Stuart as "a player who can score tries out of nowhere."

Mark has vast experience in the game, including having played on five occasions in the NRL play-off series. Originally a scrum-half, Mark showed his versatility during 2005 by playing firstly at hooker and later in exciting fashion at full-back.

Appointed team captain in his first season in the Capital, Mark is a fine ambassador for Quins RL. Musically Mark likes Jack Johnson and Ben Harper, while also enjoying travelling and reading.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Awesome on his day but too inconsistent. There were too many games where he just looked disinterested imo. I wouldn't complain if he came back though, he deserves a bench spot.

Chips

Juniors
he was a centre/fullback playing in a pivot role for us. Great turn of speed but too many errors

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Not sure if I really agree with that Chips. Infact I think Macca suffered a little by his stints in the three quarters with Mal at the helm. To me the guy was born to play in the 6 jersey- had he been given the luxury of playing with a halfback who could take on the organising responsibilities I'm sure Mac would have excelled. In that way I would compare him to players like Preston Campbell and Benji Marshall.

on a different note, is that shirt Macca has on the London jersey? It's one of the ugliest items of clothing I've seen...

Chips

Juniors
he went to London and played Fullback and carved them up.....as a pivot he had his moments...some games he was awe inspiring.

As for Mal's attempt...Mal had good intentions as a coach but he is the worst coach we have had easily in my opinion, i dont think his attempt should count.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
twistedbydesign said:
on a different note, is that shirt Macca has on the London jersey? It's one of the ugliest items of clothing I've seen...

It is the new Harlequins Rugby League jersey. The former London Broncos have formed a partnership with the Harlequins rugby union club, and that is their new jersey.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
You should start seeing him soon playing for Harlequins on the Super League broadcasts on Foxtel Sports.

Pity Saturday's opening round against St Helens, who have a crash hot side, will not be televised. It will be a huge challenge for Marty up against the Premiership favorites.

legend

Coach
Macca does well in brokern play where he can use his uniqie ad-lib style of play to run oppositions ragged but in structured play, he is no good at all.

He'd make an excellent fullback IMO and was dicked around by Elliott for way too long, especially when you consider he lost out to Brad Drew.:x

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
legend said:
Macca does well in brokern play where he can use his uniqie ad-lib style of play to run oppositions ragged but in structured play, he is no good at all.

He'd make an excellent fullback IMO and was dicked around by Elliott for way too long, especially when you consider he lost out to Brad Drew.:x

That is an interesting point about Macca's style of play and the situations that suit him.

If Tommy Leuluai and Luke Dorn are not injured then Marty McLinden will be full back for the Harlequins. If either is injured he will be moved to the halves.

Incidentally there is a person "Ozzie", a moderator on the Rooster's site, who claims that Macca cannot tackle. (I suggested on a thread, criticising the Rooster's recruitment and retention policy that the Roosters would have been much better buying McLinden than Brett Finch). Do you agree with him about Marty's tackling?

"Ozzie" seems to so defensive of any criticism, that he might well be a paid Sydney Roosters team administrator.

I cannot understand Mark McLinden losing out to Brad Drew at the Raiders. He is a much better player than Drew. Plus he is a great person to have in the team. Very intelligent and articulate.

Check his Harlequins bio above. I like his choice of music, which also shows some sophistication. Plus, how many rugby league players would list as their hobbies reading and travelling?

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
AlbertRosenfeld said:
Mark McLinden is a wonderful performer for the London team, formerly the London Broncos, newly renamed Harlequins Rugby League. He is club captain.

Marty, as the fans know him, is a brilliant attacking player. He now plays full back mostly, and in the halves when Tommy Leuleuai or Luke Dorn are injured.

Do Raiders fans miss him? Do they wish he were still playing for the Raiders?

He strikes me as very intelligent for a rugby league player. Does anyone know if he went to university?

dunno? did you Mark?

jed

First Grade
AlbertRosenfeld said:
Check his Harlequins bio above. I like his choice of music, which also shows some sophistication. Plus, how many rugby league players would list as their hobbies reading and travelling?
Marty wanted to travel when his previous contract was up at the Raiders, and was all set to head overseas, however after learning how much the fans wanted him to stay, he signed another contract with us, although he got management to include an "out-clause" that allowed him to head off when he wanted.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
One thing that struck me in talking to a lot of the London players last year, at a fans' reception after a game. All the others were nervous talking to us strangers. A bit like the proverbial deer frozen in the headlights. But Marty was extremely relaxed and confident, and very easy to talk to. He could keep the discussion going. And he had something interesting to say.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Harlequins were thrashed by St Helens 40-16 in the opening round of this season's Super League. It was held at their new London ground --- the Stoop at Twickenham. But Marty was not playing. He injured a hamstring at training.

Chips

Juniors
legend said:

i generally cut Elliott more slack than most Raiders supporters but Brad Drew's purchase was a poor choice. But i prefer us looking toward Carney and Zillman than Macca

Latest posts