What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Penrith need Jarome?

Should Penrith re-sign Luai

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Laurie returns next year and most likely will be playing five eighth in the NSW Cup, with Longi at fullback.

Now hypothetically, if Laurie kills it at NSW Cup and Penrith are struggling to replace Crichton, could a left field option occur with Luai moving to the centres and Laurie playing alongside N. Cleary at five eighth?

I remember Laurie played against the Dragons at five eighth for the Tigers and there were some good touches from him in that game.

I could imagine Laurie improving in a better system and surrounded with better players.
No

yobbo84

Coach
Maintaining whatever special sauce they've got going on there will be their biggest test.

They are a talent factory now but they need to ensure they keep the magic in the dressing room.

We lost some of that spark with Bennett and Reynolds leaving at the same time.

If Luai is key to that and is playing well enough, you keep him. Even if it means sacrificing more talented players.

nick87

Coach
I dont subscibe to the common theory that this bloke cant play
I understand he's very unlikable and everyone wants to pretend he cant play because it helps the copium if they can be like "who cares he's a f**kwit AND overrated!"

He can play. He's a damn good player. And they'll keep him if he they can.
But he's one of those players that the panthers will probably back themselves to be able to replace if the money cant work. I think he'll stay unless the dogs offer an significant amount of money.

Danish

Referee
He’s the turtle to Penrith’s entourage.

clearly useless and basically a vestigial organ hanging around since they were all kids. And yep he drops some embarrassing clangers at times.

but he’s ride or die for the boys and he keeps Nathan grounded

He’s the turtle to Penrith’s entourage.

clearly useless and basically a vestigial organ hanging around since they were all kids. And yep he drops some embarrassing clangers at times.

but he’s ride or die for the boys and he keeps Nathan grounded
And wins premierships. Re-watched the 2021 GF the other day and he was awesome, as well as being pretty good last year. Obviously had a shocker on Sunday but was injured.

Having said that, I liked on Sunday that Cogger did some first received stuff and allowed Cleary to play 5/8th; would love to see more of that from Cleary and Luai next year.

I dont subscibe to the common theory that this bloke cant play
I understand he's very unlikable and everyone wants to pretend he cant play because it helps the copium if they can be like "who cares he's a f**kwit AND overrated!"

He can play. He's a damn good player. And they'll keep him if he they can.
But he's one of those players that the panthers will probably back themselves to be able to replace if the money cant work. I think he'll stay unless the dogs offer an significant amount of money.

He’s a very good player, but in terms of importance to Penrith I think he’s well down the list. There was a thread earlier in the year debating Edwards vs Luai. If that’s the case Edwards is the one to keep, he’s run for 600m over the past 2 grand finals.

He’s a very good player, but in terms of importance to Penrith I think he’s well down the list. There was a thread earlier in the year debating Edwards vs Luai. If that’s the case Edwards is the one to keep, he’s run for 600m over the past 2 grand finals.
The question though is could Turuva or Iongi deliver the same performance Edwards did. Don’t get me wrong, he does his job phenomenally well, but having seen Turuva play this year and improve as he has, I think he could be a similar player (at lower cost).

The question though is could Turuva or Iongi deliver the same performance Edwards did. Don’t get me wrong, he does his job phenomenally well, but having seen Turuva play this year and improve as he has, I think he could be a similar player (at lower cost).
Part of what makes Penrith great is after a strong defensive set, an Edwards kick return followed by Turuva & To’o dummy half runs has them on the attack.

The Realist

Juniors
Laurie returns next year and most likely will be playing five eighth in the NSW Cup, with Longi at fullback.

Now hypothetically, if Laurie kills it at NSW Cup and Penrith are struggling to replace Crichton, could a left field option occur with Luai moving to the centres and Laurie playing alongside N. Cleary at five eighth?

I remember Laurie played against the Dragons at five eighth for the Tigers and there were some good touches from him in that game.

I could imagine Laurie improving in a better system and surrounded with better players.

No. Luai is not a centre. He is not the Jack Wighton, Greg Inglis type of player who could play Fullback, Centre or 5/8th and play them all well. Luai is a 5/8th or he is nothing. Interestingly he had 1/2 a game back in 2018? where he played fullback and it was ugly.

Apey

Staff member
He is actually a pretty swell guy - it is funny how the media can twist the perceptions of casuals and neutrals toward hating a player.
I can assure you it has literally nothing to do with the media. If anything, the way he treats the "journalists" is his most redeeming feature.

Anyway I doubt Panthers would lose a beat without him. Not really a dig on him either, but I think Luai needs Penrith much more than they need him. Plod with a capital P if he went to a struggling club.

Showtime

Juniors
Capewell. Burton. Kikau. Korisau. Leniu. Crichton. Luai? At some point letting players like these go is going to bite them. It's a wonder it hasn't yet.

Also Penrith's next half in the production queue was nicked by us, so it might not be the best time to let a player as good as Luai go.
Capewell is a plodder IMO

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He's a good player, but if it came to a push and shove over money, I don't think they'd suffer greatly from letting him go. Their system and the players around him are so good, they could sign Adam Pompey to play 6 and probably still win the next 3 titles as well.

MKCS

Juniors
I like Luai but the Panthers are so strong at this point that if Luai left tomorrow they'd just slot Jack Cogger into 6 or a suitable junior and they'd be fine.

If he left for a big money deal with the Bulldogs or Dragons like rumoured I don't think he'd necessarily change those teams either let alone being a player that a team could build around.

betcats

Referee
Capewell. Burton. Kikau. Korisau. Leniu. Crichton. Luai? At some point letting players like these go is going to bite them. It's a wonder it hasn't yet.

Also Penrith's next half in the production queue was nicked by us, so it might not be the best time to let a player as good as Luai go.

We've got a kid lined up for Luai's spot if he leaves. Jack Cole. Started 2022 partnered with your guy in SG ball and progressed very quickly that year to NSW cup and even got a taste FG when we rested guys. Another year and he will be ready to go if Luai does leave, he is a very good talent.

I like Luai but the Panthers are so strong at this point that if Luai left tomorrow they'd just slot Jack Cogger into 6 or a suitable junior and they'd be fine.

If he left for a big money deal with the Bulldogs or Dragons like rumoured I don't think he'd necessarily change those teams either let alone being a player that a team could build around.

Be a bit hard for the Panthers to slot Cogger into five eight possie in 2024 or 2025. He's off to the Newcastle Knights on a 3 year deal starting in 2024.