What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we actually need a Mongrel Prop?

TheRev

First Grade
We always love quality signings.. but do we even have room?

Props: Creagh | JDB | Prior | Stockwell | Merrin
2nd Rowers: Thompson | Frizzell | Harrison
Hookers: Can ignore these, obviously we have 4 very good ones

Every player above I think makes our Top 17 squad.. and thats not including guys like Hunt, Vidot, M.Cooper, Ah Mau, Vea, Matthews..

In a finals game against classy packs like Souths/Roosters/Cowboys/Raiders id say yeah maybe one absolute quality forward (genuine class, probably 2nd row tbh) would be fantastic, but.. only if we intend to give the boot to a couple of our blokes at end of 2013, because there are a lot of blokes who will be playing in the cutters if we dont (Hunt one of them).

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
The club would be looking for De Belin and Stockwell to continue to develop...
Yah this is the thing.. we have almost a full squad of forwards that I would not want to leave us.. JDB & Stockwell are nearly there, Thompson is a gun, Cooper could be a darkhorse, Vidot if he actually continues to grown into a 2nd rower, I mean hes an animal.. there is not a lot of room left without guys like Prior/Hunt/Harrison getting punted from the club.

Father Ted

First Grade
Hunt imo has'nt become the player we all hoped he'd be and we could swap him for an upgrade..And at some point we are going to lose a hooker because no one can keep four on the books... So we will have the money for a saliva ridden low mileage mongrel at least I hope..

Last edited:
Hunt imo has'nt become the player we all hoped he'd be and we could swap him for an upgrade..And at some point we are going to lose a hooker because no one can keep four on the books... So we will have the money for a saliva ridden low mileage mongrel at least I hope..

On Hunt... I agree.

Is this what the Job description should state for would be applicants? I like it.

dragondonar1

Juniors
I think 2 mongrel forwards are needed for intimidation factor. If the club can't sign anyone then sign up rose and work on his fittness.

Minh

First Grade
Agree about Hunt too, the problem is if Price is coach then Hunt is a certainty for selection possibly due to his connection with him in the lower grades. Price finds it hard to let go of these type of players and that's the thing that holds him back, the automatic selection policy.

Steelman

Juniors
Yah this is the thing.. we have almost a full squad of forwards that I would not want to leave us.. JDB & Stockwell are nearly there, Thompson is a gun, Cooper could be a darkhorse, Vidot if he actually continues to grown into a 2nd rower, I mean hes an animal.. there is not a lot of room left without guys like Prior/Hunt/Harrison getting punted from the club.

Doust will not punt Hunt he signed a 4 year upgrade last year the club rates him highly. The club also love Prior he's a hole hearted player who will fill any position asked of him he will be retained.
There will definitely be a couple of forwards from the cutters let go as they have had a poor season and were expected to have s dominant pack.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I'm sorry but our forward pack intimidates no-one. IMO we're missing two mongrel forwards that other packs fear. Who do they fear now?

Agree about Hunt too, the problem is if Price is coach then Hunt is a certainty for selection possibly due to his connection with him in the lower grades. Price finds it hard to let go of these type of players and that's the thing that holds him back, the automatic selection policy.

Damn that Price-Auto-Selection-Policy (PASP)! When will it strike next.

Minh

First Grade
Doust will not punt Hunt he signed a 4 year upgrade last year the club rates him highly. The club also love Prior he's a hole hearted player who will fill any position asked of him he will be retained.
There will definitely be a couple of forwards from the cutters let go as they have had a poor season and were expected to have s dominant pack.

I rate Prior very highly but unfortunately not so much Dan Hunt, he has no fire power IMO and would be good for depth only.

BennyV

Referee
I dont care if our pack doesnt 'intimidate' anyone, intimidation doesnt win games - metres, work and skill do, and our forward pack has that. We can get by without a 'big mongrel prop' with the following:

Props: Creagh, Merrin, JDB, Stockwell
Backrow: Friz, Harrison, Thompson Vidot (impact)

which would be the best pick IMO, although Vidot off the bench/Merrin to lock/Prior to prop rotation would work too.

HOWEVER, injuries do occur and that is where we are light. I would prefer Prior and Hunt to sit in Cutters as backup and Vidot to continue development next year while a new prop joining the rotation with Creagh, JDB and Stockwell.

In Summary - Do we need one? No. Would it be nice to have to complete our team? Yes.

There's a few players who seem to get favorable treatment at the selection table IMO, no matter what their form will be selected.

yeah I agree. It's one of the reasons that make Steve Price come across as a weak Coach. Like you, i don't rate Dan Hunt, (could be regarded as one who has benefited from the PASP), but I do rate Matt Prior. He's a damaging Forward - he's like a hammer or some other blunt object, totally wasted in that silly utility role.

individually, except for DH I wouldn't swap any, but as a pack, i have to agree with GoMarchin' ...they intimidate no one. i Don't know any answers to that one tho. :?

...see, I just read BennyV post which came up whilst I was typing. Others clearly have better insight and suggested solutions when it comes to footy on the field stuff : )

I dont care if our pack doesnt 'intimidate' anyone, intimidation doesnt win games - metres, work and skill do, and our forward pack has that. We can get by without a 'big mongrel prop' with the following:

which would be the best pick IMO, although Vidot off the bench/Merrin to lock/Prior to prop rotation would work too.

HOWEVER, injuries do occur and that is where we are light. I would prefer Prior and Hunt to sit in Cutters as backup and Vidot to continue development next year while a new prop joining the rotation with Creagh, JDB and Stockwell.

In Summary - Do we need one? No. Would it be nice to have to complete our team? Yes.

...'cept, you gotta make a place for Prior !

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep, the best intimidation is talent and hard work. See: Melbourne Storm forward pack.

I expect some new forwards to be recruited as there a few current ones off-contract, but we have a young, strong pack on our hands for next year. De Belin's progress this year has been stunning, if Stockwell can improve to the same extent next year we'll be in good shape for props

twinkletoes

Juniors

The forward pack you name is the same that we have this year except for Thomson. They are not winning us games and have the most metres gained by opposition teams against them. They are soft up the middle, error prone and switch off at vital stages of a game...and yet you seem to think they have all the skills required for next year. Very strange...unless we get a couple of more tough forwards we will still be languishing with the also rans..

TheRev

First Grade

This is the point of my thread, where are Prior & Hunt going to play? We have a really strong squad now, if they recruit 1 more and dont boot anybody, theres just not enough bench spots for them all (Note the other thread on prior looking @ parra too).

Yep, the best intimidation is talent and hard work. See: Melbourne Storm forward pack.

I expect some new forwards to be recruited as there a few current ones off-contract, but we have a young, strong pack on our hands for next year. De Belin's progress this year has been stunning, if Stockwell can improve to the same extent next year we'll be in good shape for props
Yep Stockwell & JDB give us hope.. first blokes since Merrin to look like theyre gonna make & stay in 1st grade. I wouldnt mind 1 'experienced' bloke, say like a Willie Mason (or whoever) to take them under his wing though, but we would have to make room for him in our squad.

Latest posts