What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we rate melbourne?

Balmain_Boy

meltiger said:
Just on this, as much as you and others may hate the game. You have to admire the AFL for their persistence with the Swans.

It took them 20 years to get a decent, (to this day) smallish foothold up there, yet the AFL continue with them.

Do you think they would have got 780 mill for the rights without the Swans?
Fair call.

I would however argue that the Swans have done it with some aid from media. Whilst the SWans weren't initially welcomed, at least the media wasn't actively hostile to opposition codes as those in Melbourne appear to be.

I'm also not advocating giving up in Melbourne after 3 years. Just noting that it will be a worry if we sink 20 million in and there is no improvement. I can't imagine the AFL put that much into the swans ever 3 years. We can't ever give up in Melbourne though.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Watching Melbourne play at home reminds me of Pink Floyd live at Pompeii. Great entertainment- f**k all crowd!

meltiger

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
Fair call.

I would however argue that the Swans have done it with some aid from media. Whilst the SWans weren't initially welcomed, at least the media wasn't actively hostile to opposition codes as those in Melbourne appear to be.

I'm also not advocating giving up in Melbourne after 3 years. Just noting that it will be a worry if we sink 20 million in and there is no improvement. I can't imagine the AFL put that much into the swans ever 3 years. We can't ever give up in Melbourne though.

They propped them up completely for at least 10. The Swans have received much more than 20 million to the club itself, let alone the squillions they are spending on the games development up there (Which is what I assume this 20 million will go towards?)

Just on the actively hostile comment ... Go have a read of TFC - I'd say there are plenty of people actively hostile to the Swans up there ;-)

Not all of the media is against them, just some of the more powerful ones.

I await with interest to see what time the game is on down here on Wednesday night.

MELROO

Juniors
Their defence is awesome, thats whats got them were they are, no weak link in their defensive line, except for over the "HILL". They love the fact everybody bags them and rights them off, they get no news down their so they just go about their business quietly and don't give a sh.t about the other teams.

Surandy

Bench
meltiger said:
They propped them up completely for at least 10. The Swans have received much more than 20 million to the club itself, let alone the squillions they are spending on the games development up there (Which is what I assume this 20 million will go towards?)

Just on the actively hostile comment ... Go have a read of TFC - I'd say there are plenty of people actively hostile to the Swans up there ;-)

Not all of the media is against them, just some of the more powerful ones.

I await with interest to see what time the game is on down here on Wednesday night.

Meltiger, State Of Origin 1 is listed to be shown at 9:30pm on Nein in Melbourne. That's a vast improvement on last year, I think from memory we got it at 11pm or 11:30pm.

As for the $23 million being spent over the next three years, yes that includes grass roots development, part of which includes an increase in Development Officers from the 4 Victoria had last year to 8 this year and I have heard talk that there will be between 9 and 12 next year. According to the VRL there has been increased interest in the under 7's and 9's this year compared to the last couple of years so the DO's appear to be helping already.

MELROO said:
Their defence is awesome, thats whats got them were they are, no weak link in their defensive line, except for over the "HILL". They love the fact everybody bags them and rights them off, they get no news down their so they just go about their business quietly and don't give a sh.t about the other teams.

Exactly right...I love it when we cop crap because it just makes our loyal fans more happy when the opposition go home with a loss...another victim of the graveyard.