What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we rate melbourne?

Snoop

Coach
If only fooltime had been running the AFL 10 years ago. The he would have pulled the plug on the Swans and we wouldn't have to put up with them.

fulltime

Juniors
meltiger said:
Congratulations, you can use a calculator ...

But you have thrown out yet another flawed argument, I asked you to compare the Swans average crowds against the AFL average, not the RL average.

It's a commonly known fact that the AFL is able to attract much larger crowds to their games.

For the record, it was a lot warmer yesterday than it was on Saturday night.

Carlton and Essendon, two of our most famous and largest supported clubs managed to draw a crowd of 32,000 yesterday to the MCG, our sporting cathedral.

Drop that into support for each club and you get 16,000 per team ... The Storm's crowd on Saturday night when it was absoloutely f**king freezing was 10k, that doesn't stack up too bad comparitively.

Personally, I don't really mind the cold and even I chose to go watch the Warratahs in a nice warm pub than brave Olympic Park in that weather. I go to most of the Storm's games.

I have searched and can only find recent swans average crowd figures which now is 35,000 but that would be unfair to use as it is off figures in a premiership year and the year after.

meltiger

First Grade
fulltime said:
I have searched and can only find recent swans average crowd figures which now is 35,000 but that would be unfair to use as it is off figures in a premiership year and the year after.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/swans.html

Note the years where they drew 9k :lol: :lol:

Go on, tell me that stacks up against the competition average :lol:

The Storm are travelling much better than some of you short sighted Northerners think they are...

fulltime

Juniors
A question about brand awareness.

If I was to ask 100 people on Collins street to identify the sport given the name of a player.
out of 100 how many would know Andrew Johns.
out of 100 how many would know Billy Slater.

If the local star doesn't win you have a problem and I think Slater would be outpolled by Johns.

In sydney if you were to ask the same question re AFL on Pitt st in sydney and use Barry Hall and Chris Judd/James Hird or any of the AFL superstars Hall would win everytime.

Local Brand Awareness is a Key.

LESStar58

Referee
fulltime said:
A question about brand awareness.

If I was to ask 100 people on Collins street to identify the sport given the name of a player.
out of 100 how many would know Andrew Johns.
out of 100 how many would know Billy Slater.

If the local star doesn't win you have a problem and I think Slater would be outpolled by Johns.

In sydney if you were to ask the same question re AFL on Pitt st in sydney and use Barry Hall and Chris Judd/James Hird or any of the AFL superstars Hall would win everytime.

Local Brand Awareness is a Key.

Haven't you been paying attention, mate?

Of course they wouldn't know who Billy Slater is! Why?

BECAUSE THE GAME IS NOT PROMOTED OR GIVEN MEDIA COVERAGE DOWN HERE!

The Swans get a decent slice of the TV pie up there, of course they know who barry Hall is because the AFL has the balls to promote the game. The NRL doesn't do the same for Melbourne and I'm in tune enough to admit that is the truth!

meltiger

First Grade
Yes they do Les,

Every single person I know who is an AFL fan knows who Billy Slater is.

I do agree with you though on sh!thouse promotion being the sole reason for all the alleged problems.

Well that and also the fact that people don't like going to Olympic Park.

LESStar58

Referee
meltiger said:
Yes they do Les,

Every single person I know who is an AFL fan knows who Billy Slater is.

I do agree with you though on sh!thouse promotion being the sole reason for all the alleged problems.

Well that and also the fact that people don't like going to Olympic Park.

Meltiger, i noticed you are from Altona. Is it possible that everyone who is an AFL fan knows Billy cos they are league man to begin with...I mean the Altona Roosters do field 2 first grade sides that play AGAINST each other!

:lol:

But seriously, thats good that they know and yes Olympic Park is archaic to say the best!

meltiger

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
Meltiger, i noticed you are from Altona. Is it possible that everyone who is an AFL fan knows Billy cos they are league man to begin with...I mean the Altona Roosters do field 2 first grade sides that play AGAINST each other!

:lol:

But seriously, thats good that they know and yes Olympic Park is archaic to say the best!

hahaha

Mate I've never had anything at all to do with the Roosters, except playing against them ... Go the Panthers ;-)

I was mainly talking about AFL people who aren't Rugby League fans.

LESStar58

Referee
Ah, a Waverly-Oakley man huh? I almost went to play for Maroondah last season but I had to stop kidding myself. Hadn't played any rugby code for years and i was in no shape.

joel caine number 1 fan said:
storm have always had a great team but could never get past the prem finals but now orford is gone im sure they will be in the grand final hopefully up against the tigers ;-)

Orford...who ???...never heard of him ???;-)

Tigers in the final...:lol:

Balmain_Boy

Craig, the worry with Melbourne is that there is no growth. Even if they were to win the premiership, I can't see their crowd figures increasing dramatically. Maybe an extra couple of thousand. That is a worry.

Having said that, the NRL simply must persist with the storm, for as long as it takes. If they scrap Melbourne, there is absolutely no going back. Those criticisng the Storm don't realise how little exposure the Storm get. Combine a poor effort by the NRL and a crippling lack of media coverage and it's always going to be a battle. Thankfully that is being adressed with the $20 million dollars over 3 years. I say we see how this committed effort goes before heaping sh*t on the storm. It's the first time the NRL have taken the aim of capturing the hearts of Melbourne seriously. If there is no progress in 3 years time and after 20 million has been pumped in, it's time to worry and criticise.

meltiger

First Grade
Ahh I can understand that, what you have to consider though is that there is no history of RL in Melbourne.

The Tigers have been able to achieve fantastic crowds, because they have generations of fans who are able to jump on when winning.

With the Storm down here, how can we expect Melbourne to grow the game, when they are given zero support in promoting the game?

The only promotion we've had 4 Origin games down here, the 5th this year (Am proud to say I have attended all 4 :D) and 2 tests in the last 20 years. Prior to this year though, the last Origin down here was in 1997 (Last test 92 from memory?), the year of the split which obviously was not a great advertisement for the game.

I think back to the 70 point game, the only time they have graced the MCG, and the fact that there was 26,000 there that night (First game after winning the premiership). Now anyone who attended can tell you, that was a miserable, horrible wintery Melbourne night, yet they got 25k plus through the gates. All on the back of the premiership and Mundine's bagging of the club keeping the game in the media.

With a bit of promotion, I do wonder how successful they really could be.

meltiger

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
If there is no progress in 3 years time and after 20 million has been pumped in, it's time to worry and criticise.

Just on this, as much as you and others may hate the game. You have to admire the AFL for their persistence with the Swans.

It took them 20 years to get a decent, (to this day) smallish foothold up there, yet the AFL continue with them.

Do you think they would have got 780 mill for the rights without the Swans?

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
since joining the comp the storm have always been a dangerous team, if they win the comp i wouldnt be suprised since they play so damn well.

Surandy

Bench
fulltime said:
Rmember we are talking about a team who is a single team in a city that has a population of 3.5 million.

I always love this line pulled out by Sydney morons that do not have a clue.

So Melbourne only has one sporting team?!?