What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we rest players?

Rest players final round?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JJ

Immortal
Webster should rest anyone that he believes needs it, simple as that

those with niggles where it would help, or where the miles on the clock are mounting up, they will have data

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Webster should rest anyone that he believes needs it, simple as that

those with niggles where it would help, or where the miles on the clock are mounting up, they will have data
This. Egan and Harris most likely I’d say.

Reactions: JJ
1 vs 4 is Friday night. 2 v 3 is Saturday (2nd game). I think with Luai injury and Wensters inside knowledge we prefer Panthers?

Broncos beat Storm we play Panthers.If If Storm beat Broncos and we win we play Panthers, if we lose to Dolphins we play Broncos.

Not sure if Broncos Storm result will change the approach?

GoSouths

Juniors
I think in the past if your last bye was RD 12, then maybe its a good time to rest, but when its only a few games ago and when the last 3 games have been extremely clunky, then they should play again.

Webby was happy that the D has clicked into place since halftime against Manly but the O hasnt.

Teams are onto that RHS play that served us so well early in the season and are cutting us off (illegally too in some cases - shit reffing) before it can get out to DWS (most of the time).
I hope we arent one trick ponies as the LHS hasnt been great for us this year though Metcalf did actually throw a pass that lead to a try (not his norm though).

Need another game to get a few more strings to the bow on offence to stand a chance especially if TMM is trying to get some combinations going (or Volkman).

sup42

Juniors
Are jazz and Barnett back now?
Both are projected to be ready for selection next week, but that is only a projection made quite a way out from the actual game, so I am looking for anymore updates there.

Barnett's issue was that the cut was not healing because every time he used the leg, it re opened.

In which case you could imagine them giving him complete rest with zero training until the tissue knitted, then into a game with maybe one captains run.

Jazz was a high hamstring strain and a fairly mild one on the continuum. There was no tear on the scans so it is the rest and time thing for him. He should be good to go or at least be available during the finals.

TheDMC

Bench
Wasn’t that pass to Pompey for the try actually by Curran, not Metcalf? I keep hearing people here say it was Metcalf…

sup42

Juniors
Wasn’t that pass to Pompey for the try actually by Curran, not Metcalf? I keep hearing people here say it was Metcalf…

You had me looking at the highlights vid, Metcalf passed to Pompey, Curran was there as the hole runner.

TheDMC

Bench
Seems Broncos, Panthers and Storm will all rest a bunch of key players. It’s a lottery who we will play out of Broncs and Panthers in week 1 so doesn’t really matter if we win or lose the game against the dolphins. Ideally we would rest player too. potentially (and that is the key word) being sluggish after a week off is way less a threat than losing AFB, SJ, Egan, or CNK or another key player to injury. Only reason not to rest the spine is develop combos with TMM. Pretty compelling reason, but….

On balance I think we need to cotton wool some players. Realistically We will likely lose week 1 anyway, but get another bite of the cherry.

JJ

Immortal
They shouldn't really be sluggish with a week off, they will still be training etc, and are professionals - just giving them the week off the physical and mental demands of a game - given how the table is, they really should

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Seems Broncos, Panthers and Storm will all rest a bunch of key players. It’s a lottery who we will play out of Broncs and Panthers in week 1 so doesn’t really matter if we win or lose the game against the dolphins. Ideally we would rest player too. potentially (and that is the key word) being sluggish after a week off is way less a threat than losing AFB, SJ, Egan, or CNK or another key player to injury. Only reason not to rest the spine is develop combos with TMM. Pretty compelling reason, but….

On balance I think we need to cotton wool some players. Realistically We will likely lose week 1 anyway, but get another bite of the cherry.
Broncos and Storm play Thursday so it’s likely we’ll know the recipe for week one.
if the Broncos win, our game against the phone is a dead rubber and we play the panthers regardless- might as well rest anyone who needs it because know the Panthers will do the same.
If the Storm win then it becomes a lottery because it’ll end up depending on both our result and the result of the Panthers vs Cowboys game.

hitro

Juniors
But..... we still want to beat the Dolphins.
if Broncos beat Storm on thursday, the result vs Dolphins has no effect, we are playing Panthers. It would be nice to win but surely there's more important things to consider. Such as keeping guys who seem to get knocked out a lot from getting knocked out this week and unable to play next week (Egan CNK), giving their replacements more experience for if and when they are needed

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
if Broncos beat Storm on thursday, the result vs Dolphins has no effect, we are playing Panthers. It would be nice to win but surely there's more important things to consider. Such as keeping guys who seem to get knocked out a lot from getting knocked out this week and unable to play next week (Egan CNK), giving their replacements more experience for if and when they are needed
We need to name an extended bench with the expectation of big changes if the Broncos get up. No point risking players in a dead rubber. Arguably little point even if they don’t win given that we’ll still be depending on the Panthers result.

GoSouths

Juniors
yeah nah.
They had a bloody rest in Rd 22!
Play the majority of the team. Their offense is stinking up the place.

JJ

Immortal
Widespread resting for us, Brisbane, Melbourne, but not Penrith…. 🤨

Widespread resting for us, Brisbane, Melbourne, but not Penrith…. 🤨
Yep, looks like resting players wins!

from team newsletter:
Harris and Metcalf, head coach Andrew Webster said Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Shaun Johnson, Addin Fonua-Blake and Wayde Egan will miss the game to enable them to recover from a range of niggling issues they’ve been playing with recently.

half the team getting a rest