What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you support your local team?

Evergreen

Juniors
I'm interested to see how many of us support the team representing the area we were born or grew up in.

I was born in Canberra, and have been a Raiders supporter all my life. It was probably made easier by the fact that by the time I understood what football was (about '85), the Raiders were on the fringe of huge success.

Maybe its because I'm too passionate, but I have a ton of mates born in Canberra who don't support the Raiders, and it sh!ts me right off! I'm sure a lot of people in here would empathise with me, and there will be others that don't.

So, do you wear the pride of your territory on your sleeve? If not, why?

tommytomlin

Bench
Live right near Parramatta, but I go for the Roosters. Mainly because my older brother went for the Eels, so I wanted a different team. Originally settled on Penrith (I picked 'my team' in about 1991), but when they went to Super League I followed Freddy to the Roosters.

It's great to support your local team (and I go to matches at Parra Stadium ocassionally), but if teams only had local supporters then they'd probably go bust.

smeghead

Bench
I was a Balmain supporter growing up on the Central Coast and now live on acreage right on the borderline between Panthers and Wests territory. Wests Tigers for life

I am one of those "turncoats" that changed to follow the local team when Wests moved to Campbelltown. Prior to that I was a Parramatta supporter but when the Magpies moved to Campbelltown I was (still am) 5 minutes from the ground. I started going regularly with my old man, a Wests supporter for decades, and over time became a Magpie.... then a Tiger.

eelandia

Juniors
Definitely yes. Go to Brookie sometimes but it just isn't the same as going to Parra stadium. I believe that if you grow up in an area you should support them, just like if you are born/ grow up in Australia you should go for Australia (and not revert to following England in Soccer world cups because your grandfather was from there!!!).

m0j0

Bench
I was born and grew up in Newcastle. Started following the Roosters in 1980 at the tender age of 6. By the time the Knights entered the comp, my allegiance was too strong to change.
I currently live right near Morrie Breen Oval and I'm a member and supporter of the Wyong Roos.

MightySharks

Bench
I was born in the Sutherland Shire and have always supported the Sharks and so do all of my mates that where born in the Shire.
But I know what you are saying Evergreen my brother was also born in the Shire and supports Manly, how bad is that! I believe you should support you local team and area if they have an NRL team.

thickos

First Grade
Me? Support St George? I could not think of anything worse.

I have family in Canberra and I began to follow football at the age of 6 when the Raiders were slowly building one of the great sides in the late 80's. The family down there were on the Raiders bandwagoon so it made sense. 17 years and still going strong - besides it's been so much fun heaping sh*t on my Dragons mates through school with the 0-5 grand final streak :lol:

I do have a soft spot for the Sharks however, as I like the Shire and being the natural enemies of the Dragons it too makes sense. I tagged along with a mate of mine to all the Sharks semis in 2002, good fun when your own team is out of the race.

choc_soldier

Coach
*breathes deeply*

To answer the question, not anymore. I have lived in Parramatta all my life.

My mum by default made me a Parra supporter as a kid - there are photos with me in Parra gear. When I beame old enough to know better, and actually liked and watched the game (I was about 8), I became a Tigers fan, and then became a Broncos supporter in the early nineties (it's a period I wish to not really discuss!).

When I was 15 (1994), I became a Panthers supporter, and have stuck with them since, and will be my team until the day I die.

MightySharks

Bench
thickos said:
Me? Support St George? I could not think of anything worse.

I do have a soft spot for the Sharks however, as I like the Shire and being the natural enemies of the Dragons it too makes sense. I tagged along with a mate of mine to all the Sharks semis in 2002, good fun when your own team is out of the race.

Yeah I did that with the Panthers in 2003 went to all three of their finals matches, good fun.

jimmythehand

Juniors
I was born in Canterbury hospital in Campsie, lived in the country from 1 year old through high school and also now. Had a soft spot for the Steelers while at Uni of Gong (definitely didn't transfer to the Dragons) but will always be a Doggies fan because of where I was born.

Evergreen

Juniors
MightySharks said:
If you live in the Counrty how do you decide who to support?

I'm guessing you'd go with family allegiances, team closest to you, favourite players etc etc.

Anyone in the bush who can answer that one?

girvie

Staff member
I've lived in the Northern Suburbs since i was two and always supported the North Sydney Bears since Primary school. I could never support another team.

Read my sig.

Evergreen

Juniors
eelandia said:
I believe that if you grow up in an area you should support them, just like if you are born/ grow up in Australia you should go for Australia.

My feelings exactly.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Definately a local team man here. Lived since I was born about 10 minute walk to Leichhardt Oval. So obviously Tigers.

Latest posts