What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you support your local team?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Nice to see Parra Panther is an ardent and loyal supporter of her fourth club,

My story....

Like most kids, I followed the winners initially. In 1975, that meant Easts. Parental influence suggested that I support my local side - who were the (then) perenial losers, Parramatta. I recall the decision to do so. When Parra signed John Peard from Easts, I reasoned that I wasn't a roosters fan, I was a JOHN PEARD fan. So I justified the swicth. I've been a Parra fan since Round 1, 1976.

Living in Panther territory for a decade gave me absolutely no reason to change that.

Now I live in the bush. Nearest side - Newcastle. I have a soft spot for 'em - forged over a barbie durng the '97 grand final. One of my bets mates is a manly fan, and it was his birthday. His misery was my joy!

I also have a soft spot for poor old Norths. My nan was a fanatic - never missed a game for something like 60 years. When she died, the club paid for her funeral. They were a great club, Norths.

re my kids, I have 2 sons who are Eels fans, even though they never lived in the district. I have a son who is a Knights fan, and I can live with that. If he ever supported Manly or Canterbury, he'd be written out of the will, though!

bazza

Immortal
Grew up near Parramatta and so have always supported them.
I have moved around a bit - but still support Parra. If I have nothing else to do I will see other teams play so saw plenty of St George at Kogarah in the 90s and get along to a few Roosters and Bunnies games over the past few years. I have also been to a few Newtown games this year.

brokendigit

Juniors
Grew up in the heart of 'The Shire', but I'd chew my own arm off before I supported the Sharks.

Dragons forever.

ibeme

First Grade
MightySharks said:
If you live in the Counrty how do you decide who to support?

I grew up in the country, and didn't move to Sydney until I was about 21. I've lived in the Shire for the ten years since. I've always supported the Bulldogs.

The first game of football I actually remember was the 1980 GF. The Bulldogs vs Roosters. Blue is my favourite colour, and I liked the Bulldogs jumpers, so I my support naturally drifted to the Bulldogs. I think my uncle might have supported them too. The fact that they won that day made it even better. I've supported them ever since, and I can't imagine it any other way.

Most kids supported Parra where I grew up, because our local club had Parra colours. Support started to grow for the Raiders and the Steelers as a few of our juniors started to make those sides.

budz

Juniors
Well i go for the Warriors cause i was living in NZ when they came into the comp. And i live in Canberra now, and as much as id like to support them, i find it very hard. Even though I kinda know Matt Elliot cause he comes into work and i know Troy Thompson and Mogg.

Munky

Coach
Supported Penrith from since I can remember and most people from out my way are Panther fans.

There are a few Parra fans and the odd Rooster bandwagoner out here but Penrith is the local team.

Big Mick

Referee
I was born in Balmain territory....When I was about 2-3 years old moved to St. George territory.

I have been a Panther since the day I was born, despite the fact that both my Cousin and brother played for the Dragons.

KFC

Juniors
I've lived in the Eastern Suburbs all my life and grew up a stones throw from the old Sydney Sports Ground.

I follow Easts because they represent where I come from.

MightySharks

Bench
brokendigit said:
Grew up in the heart of 'The Shire', but I'd chew my own arm off before I supported the Sharks.

Dragons forever.

Thank god for that. Imagine having you at Shark Park every week.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Born: Liverpool, NSW (Wests)
Lived: Campbelltown, NSW (Wests)
Reside: Perth, WA

Been a St George supporter (Dad brain washed me) till they merged with Illawarra, then jumped on the Raiders bandwagon untill 2 years ago when i re-started my St George Illawarra support.

So basically been a St George supporter for 21 years and a Canberra supporter for 4 or so, lived in Western Suburbs Magpies terriorty till i moved to WA.

I followed the Essendon Bombers in AFL until the AFL sold Waverly park in 1990's and knowing my Heritige coming from Widnes in the UK, I still had RL in my blood(but i did not it at the time). I heard about this new football code setting up a team in Melbourne in which i thought was Rugby Union.

Well the first home game on Fox Sports and i decided to sit down and Watch Storm's First home game(melbourne vs Norths Sydney,1998) and got hooked but i was not converted yet, I decided to Take my dad to the game to watch Melbourne vs Adelaide and as i finished watching the game, I said that i am a "StormTrooper till i die" and from then on, I watched or listen or been to every single game since then.

I am born and Bred a Victorian and proud of it!!!.I have never lived outside Victoria.

mightybears

Bench
dad came over the ditch just in time for ken irvine,
born at RNS, st leonards
lived at northbridge n chatswood
norths supporter given

now in brisbane, i'm about half way/equal distance from langlands [easts] and davies [souths]

jimmythehand

Juniors
I think the clubs colours play a big part for kids growing up in the country - also if someone they respect (eg Dad) goes for a team they're likely to follow suit.

Choppies

Coach
My Dad grew up in the Eastern Suburbs then moved to Drummoyne and yeh just going to games with him made me a Roosters supporter. I go to as many Wests Tigers games at Leichhardt as I can as well.

The_Coach

Juniors
Was a Canberra supporter when i was a kid. When they went to super league i decided to support Parramatta. Techinically they are not my local team as where i live is considered the Penrith district, but i was born at Westmead and i think Parramatta is actually closer to me then Penrith.

Striker

Juniors
I was born in Rockhampton, Central Queensland and have lived here all my life.. I played soccer from the age of 6 and loved the game. My Grandfather played a lot of Rugby League in Rockhampton and captained the Rockhampton Rep team. My Father follwed suit and was coached by the Great Cyril Connell. When I was 9 the Broncos entered the NSWRL and Dad filled me in on the story of Rugby League in Australia. Our whole family got behind the Broncos being a Queensland team and I have supported them all the way and will for the rest of my time. I continued to play soccer, and never actually played League but I still love the game and will always be a passionate supporter.

A few years back the Central Comets joined the Queensland Cup and I support them when I can. It helps when your boss is a major sponsor so I have access to free corporate tickets whenever i want them.

Jordan

Juniors
The Cowboys are my local team, and I support them.. Before they were in the comp, I was a Broncos supporter, and still am today. They are probably equally my favourite teams, but whenever they play eachother I always seem to go for the Cowboys. It's probably the whole underdog tag they have had over the years I guess.

The cowboys are a lot easier to support now, as the management isn't a joke anymore and we're not seen as a retirement home for players looking for a holiday.

Latest posts