What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you support your local team?

bluenwhite

Juniors
well i live in homebush, and that's right near our home ground so i guess so? i lived in canterbury until i was 2 though, haha.

c_eagle

Juniors
Born and bred in the Eastern Suburbs but had no inkling to support them, basically because they were so pathetic in the early 90's and kids just don't like losing teams. I remember watching the world 7's tournament in 1994, Manly (particularly Cliff Lyons,) played such an attractive brand of football. I'd always been partial to Manly but seeing them smash St. George in the final sealed the deal.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I'm a Kiwi born and bred, and saw my first GF in 1985 (the first time they showed a Winfield cup final on NZ TV). I was 12 at the time, and liked the look of the Dragons jersey, as my family crest is a red v on a white background. Started following Saints more regularly from '89 onwards when they started showing games on tv every weekend, and it grew from there. By the time the Warriors entered the comp in '95 I was well and truly entrenched in the red and white, though I do cheer for the Warriors when they play anyone else.

Garts

Bench
Born at RNS St Leonards, lived in Balgowlah near Manly till I was 3 then we moved up the coast. Parents did not follow league and therefore I did not take a great interest, then I started playing at 9 as a mate did and then I started taking an interest.

Used to come stay with friends of the familys in the Manly area during school holidays so I decided I would follow Manly as I originally come from the area. But it was not until I went to my first games I became hooked on Manly. I went to a game in 89/90 when I was about 10 and Manly beat the dogs. I remember running onto the ground and standing next to all the players at Brookie, I loved it.

When I moved back to Sydney at 19ish I made sure I moved close to Brookie Oval so I could attend all the games.

c_eagle

Juniors
I don't have much respect for people who change teams. I'm a firm believer in staying with 1 team through thick and thin, if you chose badly the first time, too bad.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yep, for me, I have red and blue blood in me thats for sure. I have even been told on numerous occasions that I have one red and one blue eye :lol: But the Knights were the team I grew up around, and have supported them ever since. First game I went to was apparently when I was two and mum threw me over the turnstyles to dad at halftime in the main game. Normally two year old kids wouldn't be able to sit still for forty minutes, but thats exactly what I did and nothing has changed :D

I can't understand how people cannot support the team and area they grew up around. I have a mate who lives down the road from me in Newy and he supports the Sharks (poor soul), then I have another who supports Melbourne and another who supports Canberra and another who supports Brisbane. It doesn't make sense to me if u cant support the local team, unless u hav moved from a particular area.

Jedda

Juniors
I'm a born and bred Kiwi and a first generation footy fan. Started following the Raiders in the late 80's Winfield Cup era. Watched Mal Meninga progress from Captain to Coach but became disillusioned with the club once the likes of Clyde, Stuart, Daley etc moved on.

Used to love watching the Chief play SOO so started taking an interest in Newcastle and have continued to support them ever since.

Couldn't give a toss about the Warriors, their only advantage is that I can at least attend one Knights game per season actually in my own country.

Carbz

Juniors
Born in Fairfield and basically lived all my life in an area squashed bt parra,penrith, and ctown. However never even thought about following these teams. Dad has always been a Dragon, and i was born wearing a red V.

Alba

Coach
i grew up in Surry Hills which is the Rabbitohs territory and i have followed them my whole life .. as for Newcastle i dont kno why i started likin them tbth ..

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont think its all that hard to understand those who dont follow the local team
it comes down to attitude, i think you'll find most in that situation including myself are the types that hate to having things forced apon them.

Try and shove pumpkin down their throat and watch them throw it up. As said in my original post, growing up in a glory period for penrith, i had the panthers pushed apon me at every turn, and that in effect served only as making my go else where to spite them.

InsaneShark

Juniors
Born: Liverpool, NSW
Follow: Cronulla Sharks

Why?

Because my brother played for a local junior team that had the cronulla colours and i was probley only 3 or 4 at the time when i was ball boy. So as I become older and understood league more I followed the team with the colours I grew up with.

Lucky my brother didnt play for Green Vally or I may have been a souths supporter (oddley enough i ended up playing for Green Vally) at the same time Anthony Minocello was playing for Green Vally just in a older age group.

No one in my family went for Cronulla, but i converted my long term girl friend from AFL to a Sharks supporter.

Pantherjim.

Referee
My Motto is simple: Grow up and live in the area... support the local team. I fully appreciate the fact that You don't necessarily have to come from an area to support the N.R.L. club that represents that area. And while I fully realise that it's everyone's personal choice to follow which ever club they choose, I will never understand why people who were born, bred and live in an area represented by an N.R.L. club choose to follow another club that represents an area tens and sometimes even hundreds of kilometres away. My mate was born and bred in Penrith and has lived here all his life yet he follows Souths. He's never even been to a Souths home game, yet he is adamant that the Rabbithos are his team. While I realise that it's his perrogative to follow the Bunnies, I will never understand his choice and it personally sh*ts me to tears!

I was born in Auburn, we moved to Canberra when I was 1 year old for the next 7 years of my life. I never followed a Rugby League team seriously during the early stages of my childhood. My Dad was a Manly supporter as it was the first place he settled when he came out on the boat from England, so being the stupid kid I was, I kind of followed the Eagles as well. In 1982 we moved back to Sydney so I narrowly missed becoming a Raiders supporter as they entered the competition that year. In 1984 when I was 10 My parents bought a brand new house in the Penrith district. Werrington to be exact. We've lived in the Penrith area for 21 years now, and I've spent the vast majority of my life and childhood here. As such, Dad and I stopped following the Eagles and started following Penrith. I've been a Penrith Supporter ever since, Attended countless number of home and away games, been to two Grand Finals with them, seen them win two premierships, Attended Ben Alexander's funeral and watched in disbelief as we were one of the first clubs to jump on the Super League bandwagon. Nonetheless I've stuck with the club through thick and thin and will be a Penrith Supporter till the day I die.

Pantherjim.

WestsRobbo

Juniors
Lived 5 mins from Orana Park now living in Narellan...Magpies fan used to wave the big flags.

now Wests Tigers fan...and will be until I die or they merge again and becaome the Wests TigerDogs or something like that.

lotti

Bench
WestsRobbo you should be safe in the knowledge that there will never be a merger between West Tigers and the Bulldogs due to the fact the name Western Bulldogs is already taken it's an AFL team.

lotti

Bench
c_eagle said:
I don't have much respect for people who change teams. I'm a firm believer in staying with 1 team through thick and thin, if you chose badly the first time, too bad.
Which is why when Melbourne entered the comp I became the supporter of 3 teams, I wasn't going to drop the Sea Eagles or the Sharks just because the place of my birth now has a team.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Eyah, Pantherjim is a werrington fella aye, i lived in werro for a good 4 years. Nice little place actually. Wouldnt mind buying a house out there latter in life :)

lil ripsta

I was born in Auckland, New Zealand.
I've lived here all my life and I used to be a hard core North Sydney Bears supporter.
When they merged with Manly I started supporting the Roosters coz they were always my second favourite team.
I hate the Warriors.

Latest posts