What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you support your local team?

panthersballboy

Juniors
My parents were panther fans before I was born so I have never considered following another team. Always lived in western sydney and Penrith stadium is definitely the closest to my house. There is definitley something about supporting your local team, you feel like you are part of the culture of the team. I also see a few of the players out and about in the area and most are good enough to stop for a chat. If and when I have kids I will not tolerate anything but supporting the panthers.

eelandia

Juniors
I don't understand how people can switch teams. How can you change 'passion'..?? Are you also onto your 5th marriage..??

I have a soft spot for the Knights but will never have the same 'nervous energy' when watching them - as I do with the Eels. I may become disenchanted when the eels lose, but could never go for another team because they merely 'win' more often or are more successful.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah, kind of I guess. The Warriors are essentially an Auckland team, and I wasn't brought up in Auckland or anywhere near it, but its the countries team so I supported them.

I used to... shudder.... support Manly. There, I got it out, maybe I won't need anymore therapy now that I've admitted it.

macavity

Referee
Canterbury supporter (family allegience) until 7yo... then the mighty Knights came in. Maintained C-B as a 'second team' until 95.... since then 100% Knights.

They are the local team. I was lucky enough to have been born here.

And yes, I wish we could kick supporters of other teams out of God's Country (The Hunter) - traitorous pigs.... ;-)

They could play in Brown, Pink and Green and be called the ScragWhores - they are still NEWCASTLE, and thats why we love em.

ledzep

Bench
always lived on the lower north shore
used to support the bears, then when they moved, started supporting the roosters

Illawarra born and bred. There was no decision to be made, I was a passionate Steelers fan. I grew up with them at the Wollongong Showground and then had them taken away from me.

I agree with comments against people who are born/grow up in an area but cheer against the local team (yet manage to go through several 'favourite' clubs). Reflects the type of person they are, weak and superficial.

girvie

Staff member
roosterbooster1 said:
always lived on the lower north shore
used to support the bears, then when they moved, started supporting the roosters
Do you still come to any Premier League matches at NSO?
You should become a member of the football club.

Booyah

Bench
Born and bred Eastern Suburbs boy, but always loved ET when I was a little kid so I went for Cronulla.

Still attend both Roosters and Souths home games every now and then though.

innsaneink

Referee
Even though I was born in Captains Flat (canberra) and have since lived near Penrith, Maroubra (Souths) and now near Parra...when we moved into a house opposite Wests Leagues @ Ashfield when I was 5 or 6, I became a Maggies fan then, and natural evolution and forced circumstances has lead me to be a Wests Tigers man now.

Ghoulies

Bench
I was born in Brisbane and supported the Saints 'til 91(due to my parents influence), but I eventually gave in to the Broncos bandwagon, and haven't looked back since.

ledzep

Bench
girvie said:
Do you still come to any Premier League matches at NSO?
You should become a member of the football club.
na i'm a rooster supporter through and through now
i'm assuming you would have to be 18 to become a member of the football club, that would rule me out
i might when i am though

*edit* i did go to the roosters bears match a couple of weeks ago
the food was a major rip-off

brooksy19

Bench
Born in Blacktown.. (Whats the closest club? Parra ?) moved to the Central Coast, started playing for the Entrance Tigers when i was 5 , so, i guess i just started following Balmain because of that.

Glen

Bench
Actually born in NZ but raised here in North Rocks, the next suburb along from North Parramatta, and I'm an Eels fan. My Dad and older brother were Balmain fans (dad was since he ws a kid) so I think I wanted a different team to my brother. When Dad took me to see the Eels upset Great Britain in 1992 I was a big fan ever since.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well Tweed Heads dont have a team in the NRL, but I do support the Eels where I was born and raised

lotti

Bench
eelandia said:
I don't understand how people can switch teams. How can you change 'passion'..?? Are you also onto your 5th marriage..??

I have a soft spot for the Knights but will never have the same 'nervous energy' when watching them - as I do with the Eels. I may become disenchanted when the eels lose, but could never go for another team because they merely 'win' more often or are more successful.
I've not switched I'm still a Manly supporter it's just that I didn't want Victoria's NRL team to be any different to their other teams so as soon as Melbourne entered the comp I became a very passionate supporter of 2 teams. The sharks not so passionate I tend to forget I'm a fan of them when they play Melbourne or Manly.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Grew up in Manly. Family is very traditional Manly ie. Hate Parra
Went to the school across the road from brookie oval, Des Hasler was my teacher.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Illawarra born and bred. There was no decision to be made, I was a passionate Steelers fan. I grew up with them at the Wollongong Showground and then had them taken away from me.

I agree with comments against people who are born/grow up in an area but cheer against the local team (yet manage to go through several 'favourite' clubs). Reflects the type of person they are, weak and superficial.

Calm down, when all's said and done it's just a game.

Latest posts