What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Andrew Voss back

Do you want Andrew Voss back

• Yes

Votes: 426 83.5%
  • No

Votes: 84 16.5%

• Total voters

undertaker

Coach
Vossy lives around Hunters Hill or so I think?

They just had the replay of Sharks Knights from 95 on this morning but didn't see it all; was Voss definitely on the call of that game? Blocker was on the sideline but don't know if Voss was. Thought Voss was only on Qld games at that time?

Vossy did the post-game interviews.

Regarding Voss's career at Ch9 Sydney, his first call was in 1994 (calling the Parramatta/Wests game I think), he only filled in as caller when Rabs was unable to (Rabs called nearly every game back in those days) and as sideline commentator when Blocker was unable to. He became sideline commentator permanently in 2000 after Blocker got sacked during the off-season the previous year for a fight he got into (can't remember the exact details, maybe someone else on here knows more about it).

Regarding your point on QLD games, yes I remember he called Broncos games for Ch9 Brisbane (mainly on Sunday arvo) when Ch9 Sydney didn't cover their match. This was from at least 1995 (as Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas were calling them in '94) until Chris Bombalas took over around 1999/2000. I believe Vossy also called some Gold Coast Seagulls matches as well, as I found some videos on YouTube of him doing them (this is one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUlUB4OF_Yk&feature=relmfu). Dunno if he ever called Sth QLD Crushers matches.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
He subpoenaed private emails from Gyngell to Hadley?

If anyone here actually thinks Voss has any future whatsover at 9, give yourself an uppercut.

Voss was gone the moment he brought this suit. Surely he must know that.

Now that I've come to think about it, this may've been one of the driving forces why Hadley would've been very keen to settle the lawsuit ASAP before it made the courtroom (which he did, the day before it would've went to trial). Although Hadley did acknowledge he was in the wrong on radio after the settlement (I don't think he would've just thrown away $100-315k if he genuinely believed he didn't do something wrong. $315k is the maximum claim on a defamation lawsuit in Australia), the public disclosure of those private emails by the court could've been even more damaging for Hadley, as well as Gyngell had Hadley decided to fight the charges.

Unless there was a wikileaks type of incident in this situation, we will never know what EXACTLY was exchanged in those emails between Hadley and Gyngell but if I was Vossy, I can completely understand why this particular incident(s) would've caught my attention and why it is definitely relevant to the lawsuit he was planning to bring forward.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Vossy did the post-game interviews.

Regarding Voss's career at Ch9 Sydney, his first call was in 1994 (calling the Parramatta/Wests game I think), he only filled in as caller when Rabs was unable to (Rabs called nearly every game back in those days) and as sideline commentator when Blocker was unable to. He became sideline commentator permanently in 2000 after Blocker got sacked during the off-season the previous year for a fight he got into (can't remember the exact details, maybe someone else on here knows more about it).

Regarding your point on QLD games, yes I remember he called Broncos games for Ch9 Brisbane (mainly on Sunday arvo) when Ch9 Sydney didn't cover their match. This was from at least 1995 (as Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas were calling them in '94) until Chris Bombalas took over around 1999/2000. I believe Vossy also called some Gold Coast Seagulls matches as well, as I found some videos on YouTube of him doing them (this is one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUlUB4OF_Yk&feature=relmfu). Dunno if he ever called Sth QLD Crushers matches.

I think he may have as I remember when Parra played up there and they replayed the game on Ch 9 late at night. Vossy and Belcher were commentators.

undertaker

Coach
I think he may have as I remember when Parra played up there and they replayed the game on Ch 9 late at night. Vossy and Belcher were commentators.

Oh ok. I didn't know that.

What I definitely know is that Warriors have had SkyNZ covering their matches since 1995, Ch9/10 Brisbane covered Broncos matches not televised on FTA in Sydney up until as recently as the end of the previous tv rights deal in 2006, NBN showed non-FTA Knights matches until early 2003 (at one stage they broadcasted themselves, but for the most part took the broadcast from Fox/Optus), WIN covered Cowboys matches in their first couple of years of the comp, Gold Coast Seagulls had their matches covered...I don't know if Canberra or Illawarra ever had their matches covered by WIN (maybe Raiders/Steelers fans might be able to shed some light on this)

I don't know if this was a one-off or not (as I had only been a league supporter for a couple of years or so at the time), but I do remember when I was growing up in the Hunter that NBN did cover the Canterbury/Gold Coast Chargers match at Belmore in rd 19 1996. I distinctly remember this, as I was very shocked to see a non-Knights game covered by NBN on a Sunday arvo at 4pm (especially after Ch9 scrapped their Sunday game in favour of Monday night mid-season). Mike Rabbitt, who called the Knights games for NBN, was the main caller of that match.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the WA Reds (in 1995/96) and Adelaide Rams also had matches covered by Ch9 Perth and Ch9 Adelaide respectively. David Morrow (from ABC radio) called Reds matches IIRC.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Very good article here:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/sometimes-it-takes-a-troll-to-know-one-20120913-25v40.html

How blessed we are The Daily Telegraph has launched a campaign to protect us from beastly comments on Twitter.
That such a rational Murdoch organ is on the warpath against abusive negativity is a huge comfort.
Others are also concerned, including 2GB personality Ray Hadley. He says there ought to be regulations against it.
art-353-671918069-300x0.jpg
illustration: Simon Letch

Interestingly, Ray only in the past week or so settled a defamation case against him brought by Channel Nine NRL caller Andrew Voss.
Advertisement
Voss had the temerity to criticise a statue of yet another sports commentator, Ray Warren, whereupon Hadley on air called him a ''grub of the highest order''.
''Raining on Rabbits' parade'' is something unforgivable.
It's not easy to work out precisely where the #StopTheTrolls campaign is heading. The main objective is to dig up minor celebs about whom rotten remarks have been posted and to have public figures pat the paper on the back for such a ''worthwhile initiative''.
Meanwhile Ray and the Tele don't want to be regulated in what they say.
It's important for Hadley to call Julia Gillard an ''imbecile'' and a ''vitriolic, bitter, condescending, arrogant facade of a Prime Minister''.
As for his stablemate Alan Jones, his contribution to elevated public debate has been inestimable, what with the PM in the chaff bag and being ''a horrible mouth on legs'' and so on and so on, ad nauseam.
Free speech and all that.
Just the other day we had the delicious discovery that trolled NRL star Robbie Farah was himself once a troll. There's a sort of inevitability about this.
Farah wants tougher laws to stop trolls after some awful comments about his dead mother were posted on Twitter.
As if we needed reminding about the long reach of the electronic fingerprint some clever person dug up a Tweet of Farah's a year ago in which he suggested the Prime Minister should be given ''a noose'' for her birthday.
Those who objected at the time were told to ''lighten up''. Now he is full of ''sincere apologies''.
Meantime, in other provinces of the Murdoch kingdom the campaign goes on unabated against a takeovers and mergers public interest test for the media and the Finkelstein proposals for protecting journalistic standards.
The local satrap, Kim Williams, says Finkelstein is a threat to press freedom and having fit and proper people in charge would threaten ''the economic value of our media assets''.
That's the trouble. It's now not only the people in possession of the old world megaphones who can make self-interested pronouncements, but opinions and abuse are now democratised.
Everyone can be or is now a publisher, including moronic people and the emotionally vulnerable.
The zeitgeist was captured perfectly by one of Mitt Romney's operatives who said: ''We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers.''
What we are seeing is a magnificent tension between the old information world and the new.
The old wants to impose restraints on the chaotic new entrant while continuing unrestrained itself.
It is a caprice that fools no one.
All of this comes after a few days of contemplation about Malcolm Turnbull's lecture on the lack of civility in public life.
Appropriately, his sentiments were largely endorsed by former treasurer Peter Costello.
For those who have been on the receiving end of one of the younger Turnbull's telephonic, expletive-laden tirades, this was indeed an amusing moment.
What we are discovering is that some of the people with blue ribbon awards for abuse are ideally placed to issue edicts about the need for new laws and for everyone to pull up their socks when it comes to public discourse.
Possibly the real issue is that the quality of insults has declined. Churchill and Lady Astor ('' … at least I'll be sober in the morning'' and ''if I were your husband I'd drink it''), Gladstone and Disraeli (''it depends whether I embrace your principles or your mistress''), Dorothy Parker and Clare Booth Luce (''pearls before swine''), and Paul Keating (''unrepresentative swill'') showed that at least put downs could be stylish or funny.
There's also a cultural component. Ten minutes listening to a debate in the House of Commons shows up the quality of the drones that populate our parliamentary system.
The nasty edge is still there, but so much better expressed than, ''The bloody stupid dangerous women in the top job'' (Hadley).
Part of it is ratings driven. This inflammatory language fulfils the dual function of simultaneously dividing and building audiences.
No matter how repellant the low-grade insults of Kyle Sandilands (''fat bag''), the more listeners he manages to attract, at least according to the latest radio ratings.
Why wouldn't these characters be vile when that is the pathway to economic triumph?
One of the reasons it got so nasty is that people can be anonymous on (un)social media platforms. There's nothing quite like the posturing incentive of anonymity.
The Twitter and Facebook people in California seem unconcerned about this and show no inclination to make it easy to peel off the masks.
It's a mystery why people just don't filter out what they don't find worthwhile. Turning off the noise is relatively easy. Or as Ray Hadley would put it: ''Wake up to yourself, you grub.''

alien

Referee
I agree but Michael Cole is an act,. He is supposed to be an annoying douche. That's his gimmick. The real person (Sean Coulthard) is probably a normal decent guy.

Andrew Voss is real.

exactly, although i think i must have been in a bit of a bad mood when i wrote that. vossy is ok

undertaker

Coach
Bring back Vossy FFS....

Reckon he can replace Laurie on Fox?

Is Laurie Daley definitely leaving Fox? If he is, Brandy will replace him as the lead colour-commentator to accompany Warren Smith on the main Saturday night game and Monday night football

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
he article above says it all.

Interestingly, Ray only in the past week or so settled a defamation case against him brought by Channel Nine NRL caller Andrew Voss.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Is Laurie Daley definitely leaving Fox? If he is, Brandy will replace him as the lead colour-commentator to accompany Warren Smith on the main Saturday night game and Monday night football

I dont think he is leaving Fox completely but would probably have minor roles as a panelist on some shows.

Also it would be interesting to see Voss head to Fox. Given the opportunity as No 1 caller at Ch 9 is very unlikely, but going to Fox would mean he would be the leading callers, along with Smith and Russell.

Speaking of Fox, does anyone remember the 1998 season? Im sure Vossy was calling games on Fox, given the amount of matches played each week.

undertaker

Coach
Speaking of Fox, does anyone remember the 1998 season? Im sure Vossy was calling games on Fox, given the amount of matches played each week.

PARRA_FAN, I remember the 1998 season very well and incase you were suspecting that he did, yes I remember that Voss did call some games for both Fox Sports and Optus Vision/Sports Australia, whilst primarily calling Broncos matches on Ch9 Brisbane (that Ch9 Sydney didn't cover). He only got a start on Ch9 Sydney when either Rabs couldn't call or Blocker couldn't do the sideline commentator role.

Regarding your question, the two games I distinctly remember Vossy calling was the Newcastle vs Adelaide Saturday arvo game in the last round for Optus (which I watched a few hrs later on NBN that night, as NBN showed all Knights matches because PayTV wasn't available in the Hunter back then), as that was the only time in our clubs history we ever played Adelaide and unbelievably, we were trailing by 20-4 at one stage in the first half to the Rams:lol:, before coming from behind to win 34-20. The other game I remember was for Fox: Illawarra vs Brisbane at WIN Stadium - the game where Wendell Sailor got sent off for a brawl and I remember him being extremely remorseful and apologetic to the media afterwards

Here's some more highlights of Vossy calling a game for PayTV that year, calling the Illawarra vs Balmain match at WIN Stadium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTspracNVk&feature=plcp

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Watching NRL Insight at the moment on Fox and guess who's on the panel.

Friggin Gorden Tallis!!! The guy speaks like a caveman yet he keeps getting gig after gig after gig.

Get rid of Tallis and put Vossy on there.

pcpp

Juniors
At the end of today's QLD Cup coverage...

Voss - "we'll see you next year for the Intrust Super Cup"

Does it mean anything in regards to Vossy's future at Nine? Or is it just a usual sign off at the end of the season's coverage?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd say it was a general channel nine sign off. He called well but he does have the habit of going on tangents that are totally unfunny and pointless. And even when his fellow commentators ignore him he keeps pushing.

A balloon came on the field today and all of a sudden it was the funniest moment in the history of the world.

Still he does have some wit ,which puts him about a trazillion miles ahead of Rayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Today after 4 Redcliffe players were down & the clock stopped for about 5 mins,Vossy says "If they stayed down any longer Redcliffe would have had to pull out the Medicare card".

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty much AG.

I like Vossy, don't like what 9 did to him but he was never this popular when he was calling. Perhaps it's a case of 'don't know what you've got till it's gone'?

I remember members used to bitch about his calls being contrived and demeanor arrogant.