What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 108 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 112 50.9%

• Total voters

T-Boon

Coach
You are one of the ones who used to complain that we could only beat the beatable teams consistently enough to make the finals but couldn’t beat the top teams. But we now play a style where if we have some luck (high possession early) we can beat anyone. Unfortunately what it means is that if we have a lot of possession against us early the game can get away from us.

But this team is absolutely capable of winning the comp, with some luck. If we get some early possession against Souths we can beat them too. There’s nothing about them that says we should start poorly every time. Don’t forget we got a good lead against them in a finals match. But we do need more speed in our middle defence. Hodgson and Hopgood will help.
But they started with equal possession.
The first sign that we somehow didn't turn up somehow against a bogey team was in the second Souths set when Matterson had a snooze at marker and RCG had a snooze at A defender and Souths hit the ball up for about 20 metres and a fast play the ball. The second f**king set. Then Brown drops the ball next set due to some lack of focus. Then the usual dreadful defense happens.
That is not about luck. That is a team with an obvious flaw that the coach cannot fix.

JokerEel

Coach
If we go out meekly I think they will make the call. I don’t think they will sack him immediately but they’ll let him know that 2023 will be his last. Which I think is stupid. Todd Payten would be nice but why would he leave a club he has built and a serious chance at a premiership. They are in a proper premiership window not a play school one like ours.

I’d be giving the gig to Shane Flanagan. He is the only viable alternative. The rest are either inexperienced or under contract.

I agree with them not being smart enough to sack him if we go out in straight sets.

Flanno would be bad choice though he has a bad past that some players and coaches will probably want to stay away from.

DaveMc

Juniors
He probs wont have acceleration he had before the injuries. It would take a toll on your knee.

Watching us this year if he stays injury free he will be a good signing and a massive upgrade on what we currently have.

There is no way Hodgson would have tossed up the rubbish last night that our Belmore bound hooker served up.
I agree with this. Even allowing for his age and bung knee, the bloke is a competitor. He’s got good footy nous, and I reckon he’ll bring actual on-field leadership and be a good mentor for the young hookers coming through the ranks. He sure as hell is an upgrade on Reed in his current form.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Btw are some of the fans are starting to send a message to the club about how the direction the club is heading by not going to games anymore.

I thought 22k was disappointing considering we had the 2 most popular Sydney teams playing on a friday night with Top 4 spot still in play.

There was potential for rain forecast but most of the ground is covered anyway.

Last night should have been at least 25k.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I agree with this. Even allowing for his age and bung knee, the bloke is a competitor. He’s got good footy nous, and I reckon he’ll bring actual on-field leadership and be a good mentor for the young hookers coming through the ranks. He sure as hell is an upgrade on Reed in his current form.
Yes onfield leadership is what we really lack.

Gutho and Moses both don't have a calm enough temperament to get things back on track when things start spiralling.

T-Boon

Coach
Just looking at the first 10 minutes again and naming names:
Matterson was incompetent in the middle. Is he one of the guys who when we beat the Panthers or Melbourne he is more switched on at marker and A defender. How do you motivate a guy like that. He should be singled out.
Mahoney is dreadful but I don't think that is about effort. He is just small and slow.

Noise

Coach
Just looking at the first 10 minutes again and naming names:
Matterson was incompetent in the middle. Is he one of the guys who when we beat the Panthers or Melbourne he is more switched on at marker and A defender. How do you motivate a guy like that. He should be singled out.
Mahoney is dreadful but I don't think that is about effort. He is just small and slow.
And very dumb

T-Boon

Coach
No chance we will punt Guth.

I think under a new coach he could be even better. He was everywhere last night.
He had a good safety game. Pass break ups and saved several tries.
But he is not a good fullback anymore compared to the rest in the NRL he is below average. He is slow now even the half breaks he made he was just too slow.

Chipmunk

Coach
Why would Billy Slater, who probably already has sufficient money to never work again, earn less, work more and live in a place he doesnt want to?

NRL coaches tend to come from assistants because they want to earn more money doing a similar job. They're already working the hours.

Slater won't bother with the NRL coaching anywhere other than the Storm, and even that is a very remote chance.

I've never heard of anything more ridiculous to be honest.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd get rid of him at the end of his contract. Don't give a shit about what happens in the next 4 weeks. If he jags a few games he hasn't suddenly become a brilliant coach. If anyone wants him gone now and changes their mind based on a few games then they are flip flopping idiots.

What another 2 seasons? No
I'd say bye end of year mate. We seem inept and unable to defend the edge.

Noise

Coach
I'd get rid of him at the end of his contract. Don't give a shit about what happens in the next 4 weeks. If he jags a few games he hasn't suddenly become a brilliant coach. If anyone wants him gone now and changes their mind based on a few games then they are flip flopping idiots.
2 more years of him? That would be 11 years all up, with likely only a wooden spoon to show for it.

hindy111

Post Whore
You are one of the ones who used to complain that we could only beat the beatable teams consistently enough to make the finals but couldn’t beat the top teams. But we now play a style where if we have some luck (high possession early) we can beat anyone. Unfortunately what it means is that if we have a lot of possession against us early the game can get away from us.

But this team is absolutely capable of winning the comp, with some luck. If we get some early possession against Souths we can beat them too. There’s nothing about them that says we should start poorly every time. Don’t forget we got a good lead against them in a finals match. But we do need more speed in our middle defence. Hodgson and Hopgood will help.

Our defense is not good enough to win the comp.
By luck do you mean playing against 12 men? Have we won a game in the finals against a good side? We flogged Brisbane who where gash and have beaten Knights also big average. It's different beating someone in a regular game imo. Anyhows I agree we can beat anyone but I don't like what I see now. Our edges are exposed anytime a side gets inside our 20.

What another 2 seasons? No
I'd say bye end of year mate. We seem inept and unable to defend the edge.
And we've heard that he probably wouldn't have to be paid out in full if he was terminated early. And Barry's always saying that contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on anyway.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2 more years of him? That would be 11 years all up, with likely only a wooden spoon to show for it.
We could replace him and still not win a comp, and the spoon won't be going anywhere when he leaves. Just like the spoons we won under all the other coaches.

Noise

Coach
We could replace him and still not win a comp, and the spoon won't be going anywhere when he leaves. Just like the spoons we won under all the other coaches.
I know you would happy for him to be here forever but we peaked under him years ago. Fortunately those other spoon winning coaches only got a year or two, not eleven. It’s time for a change. His voice is tired.

hindy111

Post Whore

Yeah of course we understand that. I mean with our current roster I'd expect us to go worse wouldn't you?

JokerEel

Coach
Why would Billy Slater, who probably already has sufficient money to never work again, earn less, work more and live in a place he doesnt want to?

NRL coaches tend to come from assistants because they want to earn more money doing a similar job. They're already working the hours.

Slater won't bother with the NRL coaching anywhere other than the Storm, and even that is a very remote chance.

I've never heard of anything more ridiculous to be honest.

Because it's a forum 🤷

We know the club won't punt BA and if they do they will go after a cheap safe option in Flanno or another ex first grade coach

Slater is a dream thats all it's the same reason Sterlo didn't go into coaching commentary paid more and was less stressful.

We do need a coach who can bring in good resources and develop the club for the next 10-20 years.