What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 108 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 115 51.6%

• Total voters

King-Gutho94

Coach
I hate the prick but Billy would actually be my choice. He is a winner, ruthless and methodical.

But I know Billy coming here is as realistic as BA winning a comp for us.

We would need to offer him the Rosehill racecourse for his stable of horses then shares in the leagues club to convince him to even consider coming to Parra.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
On field success vs coaching success is very different.

And talking about footy is very different to a nrl coaching career.

Sterlo was good at talking about footy, but he was realstic enough to know coaching would do him in (and why bother when you are on a shit hot pay packet anyway)

I have no opinion if Billy would translate to a good coach. Talking sense on tv doesnt make that happen .... agree he is smart and would command respect - and probably would go well tactically. But there is still a f**kload more to being a nrl coach.

Cam Smith was a great defacto coach while playing. But i think he might have a personality some players might struggle with. I reckon its a fine line between being their boss and their confidant - and still having footy and management nouse. Gibson, Wayne, Bellamy and Robo obviously are the types who manage that.

I actually suspect Cronk might be the pick of the Storm players as a coach.
Spot on. Just like people listening to post-game pressers and thinking a coach is shit because he cant speak properly. Bellamy is one of the dumbest sounding merkins you'll ever hear in a press conference but there's no denying he can coach.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don’t know why it’s that hard when we collectively have just achieved it here:

So all we do is sack BA. Try and get Todd Payten or Billy Slater and if that fails and we are desperate give Flanno a call.
I suggested Slater a few months ago and you told me I wasn't being realistic.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I've been saying for a long time the standards at this club are embarrassing.

I mean on what planet are efforts like lasts nights acceptable??? It's about the 5th or 6th time this season the side just hasn't shown up. The same dribble is trotted out by the coach and the it will be almost a cut paste job next tues. The team can't be at their best every week but these merkins just didn't turn up again. If Bea can't get a team up for game like last nights surely it's time for a coach who can.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd be okay with BA staying on into next season but whoever the powers that be are above him should chose his assistants for him. He is a disaster at picking assistants. Does anyone even know who our D coach is right now or if we have one?
The way he picks his halfbacks doesnt give me confidence that he is able to get the right help in as apposed to his family and friends.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’m glad such an important decision comes down to a few games. Awesome!

Sure does mate. Reason is we've had 9yrs and it's all a bit in the balance right now. What would you base it on? I mean if he happened to get us to top 4 and grand final do we still punt him?
If we are out week 1 do we extend?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Sure does mate. Reason is we've had 9yrs and it's all a bit in the balance right now. What would you base it on? I mean if he happened to get us to top 4 and grand final do we still punt him?
I'd get rid of him at the end of his contract. Don't give a shit about what happens in the next 4 weeks. If he jags a few games he hasn't suddenly become a brilliant coach. If anyone wants him gone now and changes their mind based on a few games then they are flip flopping idiots.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
One thing that shits me about BA is he does not see it as his job to have the team motivated. (He is a dull character without any personality so he couldn't motivate even if he thought it was his job).
But enthusiasm seems to be the biggest variable for the team. When we win against the big sides it is because we are playing hyped up, every time we lose we are out enthused.
So if BA cant motivate them at least get someone in (maybe Tony Robins or Henry Rollins) in the weeks motivation is going to be predicably down (which is every week we aren't playing Melbourne or Penrith).
BA is a passive aggressive type, I reckon he gives the silent treatment, when we need a coach that screams in the players faces.
Do you really think Robinson motivates players? I’m certain that’s what the team leaders are for. Then on top of that there are the players who don’t need external motivation. These are the ones who manage to get into Origin teams and stay there. I dunno if any merkin saw that stuff about how Penrith selects the juniors they want to keep. Motivation is a big part of that. I’m sure Cleary doesn’t scream in merkins’ faces either.

T-Boon

Coach
Exactly. Every coach that gets sacked it happens after a lose. So if they keep winning they can keep the sacking at bay. BA has had plenty of opportunity. The thing is this team can beat anyone if they are fired up so if they lose week 1 of the finals it will be because they are out enthused and BA should be kicked to the curb.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are one of the ones who used to complain that we could only beat the beatable teams consistently enough to make the finals but couldn’t beat the top teams. But we now play a style where if we have some luck (high possession early) we can beat anyone. Unfortunately what it means is that if we have a lot of possession against us early the game can get away from us.

But this team is absolutely capable of winning the comp, with some luck. If we get some early possession against Souths we can beat them too. There’s nothing about them that says we should start poorly every time. Don’t forget we got a good lead against them in a finals match. But we do need more speed in our middle defence. Hodgson and Hopgood will help.

T-Boon

Coach
Do you really think Robinson motivates players? I’m certain that’s what the team leaders are for. Then on top of that there are the players who don’t need external motivation. These are the ones who manage to get into Origin teams and stay there. I dunno if any merkin saw that stuff about how Penrith selects the juniors they want to keep. Motivation is a big part of that. I’m sure Cleary doesn’t scream in merkins’ faces either.
BA cant motive or get the players that should be motivating them to motive them (except for big games) or recruit the right players. So since it is obviously a key ingredient for Parra he should get someone in who can do it. Maybe an assistant coach. I dont think there are many clubs with our fluctuations in enthusiasm.

Avenger

Immortal
I'd get rid of him at the end of his contract. Don't give a shit about what happens in the next 4 weeks. If he jags a few games he hasn't suddenly become a brilliant coach. If anyone wants him gone now and changes their mind based on a few games then they are flip flopping idiots.
I’ve been staunch for at least a few days.