What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

JokerEel

Coach
BA’s biggest flaw as a coach has been his recruiting/retention and being too loyal to the immature misfits.
\

I am not sure you can put all the blame on him... Came in in 2014 after Sticky destroyed our cap for the next few seasons by letting players go...

Then he had the Celary cap debacle had to let players go due to that...

2017 was a good year consistent finished in fourth spot...

This year Injuries have really hit hard i believe..
Next season is his make o break year..

I wonder how many coaches from established clubs would jump at caching our side in 2018 with the facilities we have and support staff compared to what they have now....

Gronk

Staff member
\

I am not sure you can put all the blame on him... Came in in 2014 after Sticky destroyed our cap for the next few seasons by letting players go...

Then he had the Celary cap debacle had to let players go due to that...

2017 was a good year consistent finished in fourth spot...

This year Injuries have really hit hard i believe..
Next season is his make o break year..

I wonder how many coaches from established clubs would jump at caching our side in 2018 with the facilities we have and support staff compared to what they have now....

Was listening to the ABC NRL podcast this morning and they were talking about the demise of STG. The consensus was their success early in the year was lack of injuries. The reason for them free-falling was injuries (both players having to sit out and the rest of the team playing busted).

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Was listening to the ABC NRL podcast this morning and they were talking about the demise of STG. The consensus was their success early in the year was lack of injuries. The reason for them free-falling was injuries (both players having to sit out and the rest of the team playing busted).

T-Boon

Coach
I think we were awful well before the injuries set in. Maybe we get to say we could have mounted a come back mid season. I doubt it.

T-Boon

Coach
Arthur has to change completely how we play. It’s not working. We have been held to zero in 40 halves of football. In his tenure have we ever had a healthy for and against? Ever?

Thats the problem, his leopard spots are not going to change. Next year we will be a dour team because that is how he coaches. We need to inject a Semi into our outfit and there just aren't any. Except maybe Hayne.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Thats the problem, his leopard spots are not going to change. Next year we will be a dour team because that is how he coaches. We need to inject a Semi into our outfit and there just aren't any. Except maybe Hayne.

Why won’t he change our attack? He has before, just search the forum for middle half and paulo, our attack is different from then.

He has recruited Paulo and Ferguson, who will change our attack. Paulo gives a big body in the middle with ball playing ability, Ferguson gives us the best metre maker in the game.

Additionally we should have an off-season with both Gutho / Hayne / Moses and Mahoney all available (they were either injured, on rep duties or not considered last year).

Gronk

Staff member
I think we were awful well before the injuries set in. Maybe we get to say we could have mounted a come back mid season. I doubt it.

Agree with this. Other than Gutho we had a full squad a the start. Injuries have hindered our recovery from the disaster start however and we have never recovered.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree with this. Other than Gutho we had a full squad a the start. Injuries have hindered our recovery from the disaster start however and we have never recovered.

Apart from the Manly game where we were horrible, we were pretty competitive during the first 10 rounds or so (where our season was lost) however it was our attack (just couldn’t score and sweeping play wasn’t working) that was terrible!! And during that period we never had Hayne / Gutho together.

WouId have been interesting if we had started the year with a fit Hayne / Gutho and Mahoney at hooker.

JokerEel

Coach
Apart from the Manly game where we were horrible, we were pretty competitive during the first 10 rounds or so (where our season was lost) however it was our attack (just couldn’t score and sweeping play wasn’t working) that was terrible!! And during that period we never had Hayne / Gutho together.

WouId have been interesting if we had started the year with a fit Hayne / Gutho and Mahoney at hooker.

Our best attacking game was still against the Cowboys in Darwin where both Norman & Moses ran to the line then passed the ball.. Not sure why we didnt attack like that again all season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Our best attacking game was still against the Cowboys in Darwin where both Norman & Moses ran to the line then passed the ball.. Not sure why we didnt attack like that again all season.

Moses didn’t play in that game and French played fullback

Last Week

Bench
I don't think it's been entirely on BA for our results this year. The football department has been short staffed all year. Our preparation has been shit.

Two flaws I've heard about Arthur is that he doesn't hire assistants who could be better than him (that was before we picked up Kidwell), and his injury management is poor. That makes me think of Bevan French against Canberra.

I don't think it would be entirely fair for the club to punt him based on this year when they haven't given him the support that is pretty basic for a football club, such as a football manager.

Our squad next year is strong. What we need is support staff for BA. If the club pulls its finger out and gives him that, with the squad we have, he should have 6-12 weeks to prove himself next season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Two flaws I've heard about Arthur is that he doesn't hire assistants who could be better than him (that was before we picked up Kidwell), and his injury management is poor. That makes me think of Bevan French against Canberra.

Where did you hear that? French may think you are wrong:

“Having not travelled with the team to Melbourne while nursing another hamstring injury, French called the club's medical staff to let them know he would be playing in week two of the Telstra Premiership finals against the North Queensland Cowboys.

"I said 'I'm ready to go'," French recalled of the phone conversation. "I was excited. I was pumped. I couldn't wait."

But that excitement was short-lived. Given it was a recurring injury, the Eels medical staff didn't have the same faith in his body.

He broke down in tears.

"I came into training Monday morning and they had a chat with me and said just because of the recurrence, we don't want to take that risk," French told NRL.com.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/10...-left-out-of-Parramatta-Eels-finals-campaign/

Sounds like BA trusts he medical staff.....

Latest posts