What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

lingard

Coach
Is that because “locks” are now expected to do some “ball/play” making now…
Traditionally, lock forwards were cover-defenders and ball-players. The generally had very good running games and were fairly fast and agile (think: Ray Price, Malcolm Reilly, Ron Coote, Graeme O'Grady, etc.) Five-eights were traditionally of two general types: the one who was more like a second half-back (Paul Morris, Cody Walker, Benji Marshall, Anthony Milford, etc) and the one who was more like a traditional lock (Brad Fittler, Brett Kenny, Adam Douhie, etc).
And it was never the case that five-eights started playing like second fullbacks. The fullback role evolved so that many (not all) fullbacks played like a second five-eight.

TheRam

Coach
I keep telling you guys, but there are to many chicken little's out there, but we are a stable and well run club with a great roster. Don't fall for all the media click bait and hype.

The managers will try to pull crap, but if our management team are strong and know what they are doing and are quality negotiators, then we should have very little trouble if any resigning everyone we want short of an over the top massive offer by a lesser club desperate to sign some quality. But even then if it is a Tigers type, they will still struggle to sign anyone that wants to be at a strong club.

All we need to do is be up front with all the players and tell them that we won't be making any immediate decisions on the coach till later on like August, September next year. It doesn't mean that he will not be resigned but just that we want to see how next season goes and we want all our options open. The preferred option is to keep him and the odds are very high that he will continue on, but due to him being here for 8+ years now we need to see results and everyone's performance is being assessed including the coaching staff.

They are big boys and they know that it is a professional game and that things can change very quickly. I think as long as we are up front and treat the players like adults, even accounting for their lowlife managers, the message should be clear. Business as usual at a very well run club that has a strong roster that will allow you to play your best football and be very happy doing it.

TheRam

Coach
I thought the correct answer was just agree to whatever because if it doesn’t suit later, it’s not worth the paper it’s written on anyway?

I don't like wasting money by paying out coaches if we don't have to. That money could be well spent somewhere else in the football department that can make a difference to our success.

Paying out coaches isn't cheap.

The Predictor

Juniors
I’m glad that they don’t place as much wait on whinging fans as they used to. We were a basket case club when that was happening.
The fans that keep the club viable? is that who you are talking about, from what I’ve read , you and a couple of your mates are the most opinionated on here, and shoot people down when they disagree with you, you are your classic hypocrite, it’s a footy forum, deal with the whinging!!!!

84 Baby

Referee
The fans that keep the club viable? is that who you are talking about, from what I’ve read , you and a couple of your mates are the most opinionated on here, and shoot people down when they disagree with you, you are your classic hypocrite, it’s a footy forum, deal with the whinging!!!!
You must be new here otherwise you’d be aware that noone is mates with Gary.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Something the CEO mentioned (in the Thornett medal live stream last night)

We have increased our membership every year for the last 3-4yrs Made a note of how we are making finals as well

Wonder how much of that comes into retaining BA? Particularly keeping the squad together as well?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Perhaps you should read more, because with respect your characterisation is inaccurate.

People whinge and often I agree with what they have raised. Where I don’t agree I clearly state why. Often it’s because I feel that they don’t have perspective or are oversimplifying an issue because they aren’t considering the relevant context.

If you go back and re-read the post you have quoted I am not for a second suggesting that people can’t whinge on a forum. I’m merely suggesting that it is good that the club isn’t obsessing over trying to please fans.

If you’ve read all of my posts over the years you’ll know that I was also once very critical of the club. Back when we had well intentioned fans forming factions, we had a revolving door of board members and fans on here that appeared to support their faction ahead of the club.

During that period the club seemed heavily influenced by this. We had a lot of coaches in a short period of time, constant media leaks, poor performances and the ultimate embarrassment of having a club taken away from us and run by the state government because of our own incompetence.

Im not suggesting that fans aren’t important but they should be at arms length and shouldn’t be a major factor in any decision as they are notoriously inconsistent and unreliable (which isn’t a criticism by the way. As @Avenger has often pointed out, many of us are passionate and occassionally that results in us being irrational).

In recent years we have built a strong administration that is less susceptible to outside influence. It has resulted in much better on field perfornances and the media leaks have virtually stopped.

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want to go back to those dark old days.

eels_fan

First Grade
It took Bennett a 4th go to get the bunnies past the prelim and into the GF. That’s with a superior roster and himself being arguable the greatest coach in the history of RL. Didn’t hear a single rabbit supporter calling for him to be sacked last year after the 3rd prelim failure….

Gazzamatta

Coach
Traditionally, lock forwards were cover-defenders and ball-players. The generally had very good running games and were fairly fast and agile (think: Ray Price, Malcolm Reilly, Ron Coote, Graeme O'Grady, etc.) Five-eights were traditionally of two general types: the one who was more like a second half-back (Paul Morris, Cody Walker, Benji Marshall, Anthony Milford, etc) and the one who was more like a traditional lock (Brad Fittler, Brett Kenny, Adam Douhie, etc).
And it was never the case that five-eights started playing like second fullbacks. The fullback role evolved so that many (not all) fullbacks played like a second five-eight.
*Raper, Clyde, Pearce

Noise

Coach
It took Bennett a 4th go to get the bunnies past the prelim and into the GF. That’s with a superior roster and himself being arguable the greatest coach in the history of RL. Didn’t hear a single rabbit supporter calling for him to be sacked last year after the 3rd prelim failure….
At least get your facts right before throwing out stats. It only took Bennett a 3rd go to get them to a grand final, not 4. He lost 2 prelims with them, not 3.

Meanwhile BA has been here for 8 and never got past week 2. Never been in 1 prelim. He did collect a wooden spoon though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This latter statement may be true but for a long time both halves were halfbacks split left/right, with the fullback floating wide on both sides. This has fairly recently changed (I believe it started with the Cowboys) to the fullback staying on one edge with the five-eighth on the other.

Avenger

Immortal
Damn my Croatian heritage - I changed my vote back to "yes".

I was super impressed with our Final against Penrith - you know, the game where we were robbed.

I'm starting to believe that Arthur has what it takes.
And people call me flip flop.

Nothing wrong with a woman or a Parra tragic changing their minds. But if you get it wrong we will be onto you.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Damn my Croatian heritage - I changed my vote back to "yes".

I was super impressed with our Final against Penrith - you know, the game where we were robbed.

I'm starting to believe that Arthur has what it takes.
Oprah Winfrey Reaction GIF

TheParraboy

Staff member
At least get your facts right before throwing out stats. It only took Bennett a 3rd go to get them to a grand final, not 4. He lost 2 prelims with them, not 3.

Meanwhile BA has been here for 8 and never got past week 2. Never been in 1 prelim. He did collect a wooden spoon though.

To be fair BA took over a dogs breakfast front and back office. Let alone not a great squad

Bennett (said so himself) walked into a professional environment, made life easy for him. Souths were already a top 4 side

Noise

Coach
To be fair BA took over a dogs breakfast front and back office. Let alone not a great squad

Bennett (said so himself) walked into a professional environment, made life easy for him. Souths were already a top 4 side
Still doesn’t change the fact that old mate from the post before is making up stats.

Maybe in his 11th year BA can get us to a prelim. Is that enough time? In his 8th year people are still referencing what happened from 2011-2013 as an excuse for our mediocrity.

Would you give the next coach 11 years if he won a wooden spoon and couldn’t get past week 2 of the finals? Would you give him 8?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Still doesn’t change the fact that old mate from the post before is making up stats.

Maybe in his 11th year BA can get us to a prelim. Is that enough time? In his 8th year people are still referencing what happened from 2011-2013 as an excuse for our mediocrity.

Would you give the next coach 11 years if he won a wooden spoon and couldn’t get past week 2 of the finals? Would you give him 8?

Why would we give the next coach 11 years when it is chalk and cheese compared to what BA took on. on and off the paddock? LOL

Latest posts