What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

DaveMc

Juniors
I think flanno would be a good option , I know he comes with baggage but I think he would be able to get the team up every week mentally and close the gap between our best and our worst
I agree. If nothing else, it couldn’t be any worse. Hell, the current club coach was the coach during the greatest ethical scandal our club has ever had. Flanno would carry more baggage, but who gives a f**k.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Welcome aboard!

You’ll find that Pou’s “lack of resources” is a strawman, bad faith, trolling argument. It’s a fairly new one, but he’s pushing it hard. I’m sure he doesn’t believe it, but he comes here to be contrarian.

As it is, you’re right - resourcing is absolutely no excuse for the short and long-term lack of success at the club. It is poor management, poor coaching, poor recruitment, and comfort with mediocrity.
It’s getting very frustrating following this team, I been a commercial partner for 7 years and came through the bad years happy that we were improving, but to see the team going backwards without the premiership and the coach saying the same shit at the press conference every week who clearly doesn’t know how to solve the problems that we have , it’s time for a change!

DaveMc

Juniors
It’s getting very frustrating following this team, I been a commercial partner for 7 years and came through the bad years happy that we were improving, but to see the team going backwards without the premiership and the coach saying the same shit at the press conference every week who clearly doesn’t know how to solve the problems that we have , it’s time for a change!
I’m with you mate! As a commercial partner, you’ll have more bang for your buck than I do. If I were you, I’d be seriously thinking about venting your spleen as a commercial sponsor and withdrawing your funding to make a point about your displeasure.

As it is, I’m just a member, but one who is intending to sever their continuity next year if Arthur remains coach, because I’ve had enough. But my couple of hundred bucks for the year will speak a lot less than your commercial amount.

the phantom menace

First Grade
If Arthur stays on an his contract is honoured (or he honours his contract) and we don't make week 3 of the finals, I think it would be very smart for the club to appoint for 2023:

- a Coaching Director (or similar title) - not the Mark O'Neill role, although it could possibly include and take over those responsibilities too
- new assistants - it sounds like we still have a Kidwell vacancy, and I'm not sure what the status is of McGregor, Ennis, this Murphy bloke I'm just reading about
- a NSW Cup Coach - a non-playing coach just to put that sense of pressure under BA, that there's someone else in the joint who might have a clue and be available to take over if he doesn't perform.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In the NRL era sharks and Manly outperform us and it’s hard to argue they are better resourced than us.
Why is it hard to argue? Both are privately owned. Scott Penn can tip as much money as he likes into the incinerator because he doesn't have to answer to anyone. Meanwhile a stated goal of our football operation is to become self sufficient. That’s code for not requiring investment from the PLC.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Welcome aboard!

You’ll find that Pou’s “lack of resources” is a strawman, bad faith, trolling argument. It’s a fairly new one, but he’s pushing it hard. I’m sure he doesn’t believe it, but he comes here to be contrarian.

As it is, you’re right - resourcing is absolutely no excuse for the short and long-term lack of success at the club. It is poor management, poor coaching, poor recruitment, and comfort with mediocrity.
All that stuff you claim we lack is directly related to resources. You pay for it with money ffs

Frank Burge

Juniors
I’m with you mate! As a commercial partner, you’ll have more bang for your buck than I do. If I were you, I’d be seriously thinking about venting your spleen as a commercial sponsor and withdrawing your funding to make a point about your displeasure.

As it is, I’m just a member, but one who is intending to sever their continuity next year if Arthur remains coach, because I’ve had enough. But my couple of hundred bucks for the year will speak a lot less than your commercial amount.
I don’t believe I have that much clout unfortunately. I did threaten to pull the sponsorship if we signed Lodge for personal reasons even though I do think he would of helped our forward rotation.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Why is it hard to argue? Both are privately owned. Scott Penn can tip as much money as he likes into the incinerator because he doesn't have to answer to anyone. Meanwhile a stated goal of our football operation is to become self sufficient. That’s code for not requiring investment from the PLC.
I was unaware the Sharks had a private owner? Scott Penn could tip money in but it is well known he is a tight arse. If the leagues club wants us to be self sufficient then they should put us up for private ownership as what is the benefit of having an association with a pokie den that bleeds the community dry

T-Boon

Coach
it is also code for my membership money really going to the leagues club and also the deplorable ads on the jersey funding the leagues club.

emjaycee

Coach
The main resource we are missing and what the teams that perform week in, week out regardless of the opposition and irrespective of their ladder position, is 'passion'.

Passion for the jersey, the emblem, the club, the fanbase.

Mercenary players like any employee in any industry, dont have passion for who they work for and what they do. They just want the paycheck and of they dont perform and still get paid, so be it.

Souths have it.
Penrith have it.
Melbourne have it.
We dont.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Just looking at the first 10 minutes again and naming names:
Matterson was incompetent in the middle. Is he one of the guys who when we beat the Panthers or Melbourne he is more switched on at marker and A defender. How do you motivate a guy like that. He should be singled out.
Mahoney is dreadful but I don't think that is about effort. He is just small and slow.
Matto played like a bloke who usually has 4 games off after a head knock but was forced to play similar to his time at Tigertown. Maybe eh?

Frank Burge

Juniors
The main resource we are missing and what the teams that perform week in, week out regardless of the opposition and irrespective of their ladder position, is 'passion'.

Mercenary players like any employee in any industry, dont have passion for who they work for and what they do. They just want the paycheck and of they dont perform and still get paid, so be it.

Souths have it.
Penrith have it.
Melbourne have it.
We dont.
Personally I think that mentality starts with the coach , except for Penrith as most are local juniors. But you are kidding yourself if you don’t think To’o and luai wouldn’t leverage another offer to get more money or leave altogether for the right amount

DaveMc

Juniors

Souths have it.
Penrith have it.
Melbourne have it.
We dont.
But why? We’re a longer-standing, prouder club than any of them other than Souths. Is it a lack of junior Eels in the first grade team? If I were a footballer from anywhere, the idea of winning a title with the Eels would eclipse any other club, because such a premiership-starved team means you’d be greeted as a hero for the rest of your career if you jagged one. Is it something inherent to Parra? I genuinely don’t get it.

Souths have it.
Penrith have it.
Melbourne have it.
We dont.
Remember that show called Passions? It was so bad it was kinda funny. A bit like our team.

Incorrect

Coach

Is there any other club in the NRL that doesn't have a head coach or a senior assistant who has extensive NRL level playing experience?

It's amateur hour local club footy mentality and it's holding the club back.

This is a good point. At a guess, the Roosters took a punt on Robinson who had limited coaching experience and even less as a player but going back to 2012/13 or whenever he took over, I'm not sure who his assistant coaches were...

This is a good point. At a guess, the Roosters took a punt on Robinson who had limited coaching experience and even less as a player but going back to 2012/13 or whenever he took over, I'm not sure who his assistant coaches were...
And the Chooks have money coming out their cloacas yet they took a rookie NRL coach.

Incorrect

Coach

Souths have it.
Penrith have it.
Melbourne have it.
We dont.
12 months ago, I would have said Mahoney was that guy and who should have been our long term leader. A bloke who seemed to really buy in to the club, what it means to the faithful and who was always there at the end of each game to engage with the fans.... But then Bulldogs money happened and yeah, we need to start from scratch in that regard.... Barlow is as Eels as they come but outside of these 2, one of which is f**king off, I think you have highlighted a definite issue....