What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

King-Gutho94

Coach
Actually we got within 216 of St George in 2009. Otherwise yeah, in both 2007 and 2017 we were exactly 258 points behind the Storm. The only time we got within 200 was 195 points behind Penrith in 2020.

The worst performing premiers (for points differential relative to the best performing team) in the NRL era were:

TeamYearDifferenceBest performing team
Knights2001-290Eels
Cowboys2015-158Roosters
Panthers2003-151Bulldogs
Tigers2005-147Eels

Interesting that two of the best performing teams who failed to win the comp were Parramatta squads under Brian Smith. Merkins say he was a choker but I'm inclined to think he got teams to overachieve during the regular season but then were outclassed in the finals.
We werent Outclassed in 2005 we simply choked.

We played the cowboys once that season and rested 4 of our players Stringer, Grothe, Riddell, Tahu due to City/Country then flogged the cowboys 50-12.

Cowboys only had one change from the game to the preliminary final side that beat us 29-0.

hindy111

Post Whore

We played the cowboys once that season and rested 4 of our players Stringer, Grothe, Riddell, Tahu due to City/Country then flogged the cowboys 50-12.

Cowboys only had one change from the game to the preliminary final side that beat us 29-0.

I remember that day. With 20 to go half the crowd walked off. And about 200 cars including my Dad copped a parking ticket. merkin of a day. Mik was with us and laughing his head off.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I remember that day. With 20 to go half the crowd walked off. And about 200 cars including my Dad copped a parking ticket. merkin of a day. Mik was with us and laughing his head off.
Only game I have left early.

I was 11 years old my parents and grandmother saw enough we headed to the train back to seven Hills with 15 mins to go disgusted.

Thankfully I was 11 and able to get over it quickly i reckon I would need a week off from work if that exact same scenario happened now.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Parramatta as a city is by far the biggest Sydney club.
This is about as relevant as Canterbury or Balmain calling themselves the Sydney Bulldogs/Tigers. Just because we're called Parramatta doesn't mean we get sole benefit from whatever the city itself provides. Plenty of NRL clubs benefit from being close to Parramatta.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes I remember people saying he looks better then Latrell lol.
Guys like him are just too small. I wouldn't bother with wingers that small or fullbacks.

Our under 20s if finish the year strong could end up 6th. They have an ok for and against. Might be a few good ones I hope.
Is he any smaller than Papenhuyzen? French was awesome in his first two seasons, 28 tries in 29 games, and 62% win rate. Then he just died in the arse.

lucablight

First Grade

Shouldn’t have lost 29-0 but losing Hindmarsh and Fui at the back end of the season wrecked us. I wonder if their absence had an effect on the players. I saw Brian Smith being interviewed before the game and he was a trembling mess.

Is he any smaller than Papenhuyzen? French was awesome in his first two seasons, 28 tries in 29 games, and 62% win rate. Then he just died in the arse.
I think Papa was similar but seems bulkier now. Some reporter asked Bellamy about it I think and he responded by saying have you seen him with his shirt off.

strider

Post Whore
This is about as relevant as Canterbury or Balmain calling themselves the Sydney Bulldogs/Tigers. Just because we're called Parramatta doesn't mean we get sole benefit from whatever the city itself provides. Plenty of NRL clubs benefit from being close to Parramatta.
No no ... im putting money on the north sydney bears to win a premiership any day now ... so many big buildings, the corporate backing there is amazing

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think our problem isn't finding the juniors it's having them come into first grade and then go to the next level.

French was a superstar as a junior showed it when he first came in then went stale same with Tepia Moroea our first grade coaches just don't have the ability to improve players once they hit first grade.

I think some of it can be attributed to the way the youngsters are employed by the coaching staff.

For instance, Tepai was a wrecking ball on either side of the ball (with a handy offload) in the Holden Cup, and predominantly played wide.

When he came to First Grade, he shelved his offload, did not fit in defence as hard has he did in the Holden Cup, and was moved from edge forward, to tight forward, to bench forward, and kept rotating throughout his career.

If a player does something very well in the lower grades, I believe it would be best to keep sharpening that skill in First Grade, rather than putting it away until they are a 50-game player, and then bringing it out again.

Players like Bryce Cartwright made their careers on the back of ball skills that sometimes backfired, but as a coach, you put them in for what they can do.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Shouldn’t have lost 29-0 but losing Hindmarsh and Fui at the back end of the season wrecked us. I wonder if their absence had an effect on the players. I saw Brian Smith being interviewed before the game and he was a trembling mess.
I do recall my Dad saying to me and my younger brother that morning at breakfast we would get beat.

He normally is worried before every game tbh. But i recall he had this sick feeling in his stomach we would get ambushed similar to the Tigers ambushing the Dragons the night before. Something didn't feel right maybe it was the overcast day was a sign.

I don't know but i don't think he expected them too capitulate the way we did.

TheParraboy

Staff member

That was huge loss for our players and huge gain for theirs IMO. Remember the hype how everyone was going to do it for Hindy LOL

Hindy was the closest to Ray Price we have ever had. The confidence it gave the Cowboys cant be under played. Huge leg up physically and most importantly in the mind

Chipmunk

Coach
I think some of it can be attributed to the way the youngsters are employed by the coaching staff.

For instance, Tepai was a wrecking ball on either side of the ball (with a handy offload) in the Holden Cup, and predominantly played wide.

When he came to First Grade, he shelved his offload, did not fit in defence as hard has he did in the Holden Cup, and was moved from edge forward, to tight forward, to bench forward, and kept rotating throughout his career.

If a player does something very well in the lower grades, I believe it would be best to keep sharpening that skill in First Grade, rather than putting it away until they are a 50-game player, and then bringing it out again.

Players like Bryce Cartwright made their careers on the back of ball skills that sometimes backfired, but as a coach, you put them in for what they can do.
My view is the coaches are there to improve the players to play their natural style, rather than the players being there to suit the game plan of the coach.

Bennett has always seemed to be this kind of coach.

Bellamy has evolved the way his teams have played in recent seasons, to suit the players at his disposal, rather than have them play the way that suited the Storm in the past. This to me says that they had strategies, but they were based around the players they had at their disposal at the time, not the other way around.

I think the Roosters have a style they want to play and identify certain players that fit into that style (or develop that style into players from a young age) rather than just buying players to fit into their team for the sake of buying a player.

The Panthers I think have been working on their style for quite some time. Probably since Ivan was at the club previously, when most of their NRL squad were junior reps.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We quite obviously changed our style after 2018 to suit the new players we had recruited. There are even stats to prove it. There are valid criticisms of Brad Arthur but lack of adaptability isn't one of them.

hindy111

Post Whore
We quite obviously changed our style after 2018 to suit the new players we had recruited. There are even stats to prove it. There are valid criticisms of Brad Arthur but lack of adaptability isn't one of them.

We need a game breaker. We just don't have one. We also have no real juniors busting thru.
We can change coach but none of this is fixed not much changes. Could change coach and he gets lucky and a few young guns come thru who are already in pipeline so purely coincidence