What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Chris Sandow at Parra?

Do you want Chris Sandow at Parra?

• Total voters

barney gumble

Juniors
We need a half desperately, Sandow it seems will be available, there certainly are worse options. What's happened with Quade Cooper, is that deal dead and buried?

Eels Dude

Coach
We need a half desperately, Sandow it seems will be available, there certainly are worse options. What's happened with Quade Cooper, is that deal dead and buried?

According to Osborne we've moved on from that option... a far cry from his "He'll play for Parramatta one day" comments from last year.

BigErn

Juniors
more than a touch facile to list 5/8s and halfbacks together when talking about the halfback position.

If you think they're easily interchangeable, then you're not qualified comment further on whether or not we need Sandow!

No I totally agree,
I was trying to help you with your cause of listing top 10 and bottom 5.
You left yourself no room and I could only assume you included five-eighths, otherwise your post makes no sense.

I know they're not interchangeable, and there's probably only a select few who could play both.

If you want to rate pure no 7's independently, and assuming only one per team, I don't think Sandow would run it at 11. I'd think more closer to 7 or 8. It's hard to say. I think the top 3 sort themselves, followed by the two NSW in pearce and mullen, and then the rest is a tight battle (minus robson and orford).

Probably

Thurston
Cronk
Prince
Mullen
Pearce
Hodkinson
Sandow
Wallace
Moltzen
Cherry Evans
Maloney
Hornby
Graham
Orford
Robson

Avenger

Immortal
Assuming we cannot get Cronk or Maloney, I say yes. By the way I would go all out to get Albert Kelly back.

Suitman

Post Whore
According to Osborne we've moved on from that option... a far cry from his "He'll play for Parramatta one day" comments from last year.

I wouldn't be so sure mate. I don't know anything on this subject, but it's been all quiet on the Quade talk lately.
Don't forget, he doesn't yet officially have a contract anywhere next year. He only signed with the ARU for one season. This season.

Suity

Last edited:

Bow_rider

Juniors
IMO Sandow is a player with quite a bit of talent.Individual talent. I have watched him from a 13 year old and he has always been the same. He was the kid who could do amazing things, but individual things. He always had the scouts salivating and trying to get the signature. But as all of his coaches since then have found out Sandow is for Sandow and bugger the rest. He will do on a field what he wants to do. His cockyness is infuriating and makes you want to dislike him, although he probably is a nice bloke. Please Parra do not sign this guy. He leeks more points because of his defence than any half in the comp.

BigErn

Juniors
Souths wouldn't be stupid enough to let Sandow go, without having an alternative. Malcolm Webster? Matt Mundine? Adam Reynolds? Shaun Dowie?

Surely they're not good enough to step up to the big time.

BigErn

Juniors
They're interchangeable.

In most teams the only difference is who feeds the scrums. In some teams even that's not a difference.

Fair enough, the only ones on my original list who could definitely not play half would be anasta, sutton and mateo, and thats probably because they are more like ball playing backrowers than halves.

The rest I could see with the no7 on their back quite easily.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't anasta have a stint (ever so brief) with the 7 on his back? I know he wore the 1 for a couple of games.

EELICIT

Juniors
i quite like sandow hes a hard as nuts hitter and a semi keen playmaker ! So yes why not?

TheParraboy

Staff member
reported on ch9 sport news, we have thrown 1 million over 3 yrs for sandow ie 333.33k per year

souths say they are confident of keeping him

Suitman

Post Whore
I'd like for us to set the bar a little higher than Sandow.
Weidler just reported a million $ offer from the Eels for Sandow.
No thanks. Not at that price.

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fair enough, the only ones on my original list who could definitely not play half would be anasta, sutton and mateo, and thats probably because they are more like ball playing backrowers than halves.

The rest I could see with the no7 on their back quite easily.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't anasta have a stint (ever so brief) with the 7 on his back? I know he wore the 1 for a couple of games.

I don't think he has, but bear in mind, a lot of these five-eighths that are more like back-rowers than halfbacks are holdovers from several years ago when halfbacks still played both sides of the field. Back then it was the lock and the five-eighth who split, with the second-rowers playing more fluid roles.

Different teams adopted the new setup sooner than others, and it's interesting looking back at premiers of ye olden days to see how things change - Penrith played with split halves back in 2003 (Gower/Campbell), whereas the 2008 grand final featured two teams that still used a halfback playing both sides of the field (and a floating five-eighth - Orford/Lyon and Cronk/Inglis).

However the two grand finals since have been contested by four different teams each with split halves - Cronk/Finch, Robson/Mortimer, Hornby/Soward and Pearce/Carney.

It's interesting how things change.