What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do your kids play footy?

Pig Champion

Juniors
I ask this as someone who has both boys playing and loving footy. Phil Gould rants yet I've heard his son plays soccer. People complain about the cost to go to NRL games, some say let kids in free and they'll drag a parent or two along. Well if they are a RL junior they are free in the Shire.

Who has kids playing the greatest game and why?

Who has them playing soccer, flogball or union and why?

innsaneink

Referee
My sons nearly 12, been playing league for 8 seasons and union for 4.
He was going to try soccer one season instead of union, but changed his mind at the last moment....probably more of his mates at school play soccer than RL/RU...just the area were in it seems.
His sisters teacher was coaching the local 6's at the time, saw some info in the school newsletter, had never thought of him playing until that stage.
I think all players, and committee members of JRL clubs get the free passes

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
I ask this as someone who has both boys playing and loving footy. Phil Gould rants yet I've heard his son plays soccer. People complain about the cost to go to NRL games, some say let kids in free and they'll drag a parent or two along. Well if they are a RL junior they are free in the Shire.

Who has kids playing the greatest game and why?

Who has them playing soccer, flogball or union and why?
Both my boys play netball. We got a free pass to the grand final the other day.

Razor

Coach
My oldest daughter played League until she was 14. She plays soccer now. My middle daughter played League for one year but didn't enjoy it.

macavity

Referee
my dog plays football

the football is flat after the first play, but still, she has a go.

she doesnt get in to games free though :(

Pig Champion

Juniors
Thanks for the replies except for that savethechildren w*nker. I know sbw is all over everything at the moment but I want to know why people here don't have their kids playing the greatest game? Obviously girls will gravitate to netball and soccer generally.

My kids love it. Teamwork, tackling, passing, running, stepping, backing up. We truly are wrapped up in the cult of celebrity and not the fundamentals.

Kiki

First Grade
when i have kids i would love them to play league. in fact i wouldnt allow them to play anything else. ill be a nazi mama.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Both my boys play football (soccer). I find it amazing how everyone talks about RL but the junior areas is where you have major problems. I grew up in the Canada Bay area and we had teams like Concord United, Burwood United, Holman, Enfield Federals. The latter is the only RL team left and they only have one age group. I know demographics have changed but this is true all over Sydney.
Now my kids play football for a club that has 10 U6's, 12 U7's and even 12 Over 35's.
Believe me people, if football takes hold in this country, then you will have something to worry about.
Hell, Harry Kewell earns 10 times SOnny Bill's supposed wage (although he isnt even signed yet).

innsaneink

Referee
Wayne pearces nephews mum abused my kid and his mates, who were cheering on their union teammates in their RL game against him on Sunday...tuff mum, you get that?

innsaneink

Referee
Both my boys play football (soccer). I find it amazing how everyone talks about RL but the junior areas is where you have major problems. I grew up in the Canada Bay area and we had teams like Concord United, Burwood United, Holman, Enfield Federals. The latter is the only RL team left and they only have one age group. I know demographics have changed but this is true all over Sydney.
Now my kids play football for a club that has 10 U6's, 12 U7's and even 12 Over 35's.
Believe me people, if football takes hold in this country, then you will have something to worry about.
Hell, Harry Kewell earns 10 times SOnny Bill's supposed wage (although he isnt even signed yet).

Think you mean the former...Feds and Holman are long gone, I played for Holman Jnrs.
Concord & Burwood mergerd

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Wayne pearces nephews mum abused my kid and his mates, who were cheering on their union teammates in their RL game against him on Sunday...tuff mum, you get that?

Kevin Hardwick's sister's second cousin twice removed tripped over and skinned her knee at a junior rugby league match.

interesting...........

My little boy had a go at soccer in under 6's as a 4 year old. Had no interest. Took up gymnastics instead. Told me he wanted to play league next year, then 2 weeks into the season said he wanted to this year.

He now plays for the Asquith Magpies in the Northern Sydney comp against The Berowra Wallabies, the Pennant Hills Stags, The Willoughby Kangaroos the Hills Hawks and the North Sydney Brothers.

It's fantastic. Really well organised, safe and fair. They focus much more on participation than competition, but it's still competitive. They don't have positions. At the play the ball, there has to be two passes before the defence line moves up.

He's in the bottom few players as far as skills and effect on the game. However, he's learning to work as part of a team, helping his mates out, not letting them down, developing gross motor skills, hand eye co-ordination, dedication, self control, the list goes on.

The gymnastics has helped him with balance and co-ordination. He's never going to be a great gymnast, or a great league player, but he's putting heaps into it and getting heaps out of it. (Never say never . . . .)

From 12 matches he's got 2 tries, 1 goal from 6 attempts, 6 offloads, made 3 genuine tackles and had a hand in 6 others. He gets 2 or 3 runs a game, and plays a bit of dummy half.

According to the medicare website it's the 9th or 10th safest kids sport, judged on injuries and hospitalisations. Safer than soccer, Aussie Rules, NETBALL!!! (REALLY bad for knees and ankles) and Union.

I can't say enough good things about it. He's loving it. It's been great for his self esteem, even though he's no star.

I played union as a kid but was hopeless and found it demoralising. I wish they had mod league and mini league when I was a kid. I would still have been hopeless, but I would have had more opportunity to contribute and feel a part of it.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
yeh i played netball until i was about 13 and it was absolutely murder on my joints, stuffed up my knees so bad. i had to have physio to repair them during most of highschool.

adamkungl

Immortal
whenever i end up having kids theyl play league. theyl br brought up to despise soccer and aerial pingpong.

Latest posts