What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do your kids play footy?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
i have no particular problem with that. What I would have a problem with is having to watch sh*thouse sports because of them.

You should rejoice in the fact that your kids will play any sport at all. With the obesety epidemic in Aust. any activity should be encouraged, regardless of the flavour.

Like I said in a prior thread....When I have kids I will be steering them towards playing basketball. I want to be a rich daddy like the Williams sisters' old man. There's not enough money in league for me as a dad.

My little boy had a go at soccer in under 6's as a 4 year old. Had no interest. Took up gymnastics instead. Told me he wanted to play league next year, then 2 weeks into the season said he wanted to this year.

He now plays for the Asquith Magpies in the Northern Sydney comp against The Berowra Wallabies, the Pennant Hills Stags, The Willoughby Kangaroos the Hills Hawks and the North Sydney Brothers.

It's fantastic. Really well organised, safe and fair. They focus much more on participation than competition, but it's still competitive. They don't have positions. At the play the ball, there has to be two passes before the defence line moves up.

He's in the bottom few players as far as skills and effect on the game. However, he's learning to work as part of a team, helping his mates out, not letting them down, developing gross motor skills, hand eye co-ordination, dedication, self control, the list goes on.

The gymnastics has helped him with balance and co-ordination. He's never going to be a great gymnast, or a great league player, but he's putting heaps into it and getting heaps out of it. (Never say never . . . .)

From 12 matches he's got 2 tries, 1 goal from 6 attempts, 6 offloads, made 3 genuine tackles and had a hand in 6 others. He gets 2 or 3 runs a game, and plays a bit of dummy half.

According to the medicare website it's the 9th or 10th safest kids sport, judged on injuries and hospitalisations. Safer than soccer, Aussie Rules, NETBALL!!! (REALLY bad for knees and ankles) and Union.

I can't say enough good things about it. He's loving it. It's been great for his self esteem, even though he's no star.

I played union as a kid but was hopeless and found it demoralising. I wish they had mod league and mini league when I was a kid. I would still have been hopeless, but I would have had more opportunity to contribute and feel a part of it.

Best post I have seen on this forum since getting here some 1-2 years ago.

If someone else doesnt pass this on to Gus, I will.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Thanks guys, especially those that have kids playing the game. We live in Bundeena and unfortunately the rugby league club is on again off again due to limited population and soccer has had a long "stranglehold" here. Although we live in Sydney our two boys have to be driven 25 minutes to nearest club. Both have been playing 3 years, the youngest in the u/6s and the oldest in the u/8. They love it and definately benefit from learning the basics so young.

Sully if it's your sons first year then he's going to just shoot ahead next year. Just being out there is enough but it sounds as if he already alot of basics covered.

shiznit

Coach
my little girl goes bananas for netball... shes only 2 but her aunty plays it at the elite level so shes being groomed...

if i had a boy i would love to get him into rugby union... mainly because i played it when i was a young kid so im familiar with the people and the local set up. having said that though... if my son ever wanted to make a switch to another sport id support him 110%.

like someone said earlier... i think the most important thing these days is to get kids active and to enjoy playing sports.

*Sandy*

First Grade
My 13 yr old son plays RL. We tried the Soccer and AFL thing when he was 5,6 and 7 because that is what he wanted. Hated both and thank god he asked to play RL. I found Soccer money hungry compared to AFL and League.

My whole Winter Saturdays are spent running from Netball to League, I absolutely love it.

number8

Juniors
My young bloke is in his 3rd season this year. He's not great, but all my kids have to play a sport & I'm at the footy anyway so thats where he does his. He skipped the 8's & is playing up a division in the 9's this year & is doing a lot better than he was in his own age. Last week he backed up & played 10's for a 2nd game & played better again. With the mini/mod rules as they are, & the safeplay code. League is suprisingly one of the safer sports for the little kids to play. It is oly as they push into the 11/12 age divisions where the contact gets a bit heavier. By then though (had they played through mini/mod) they useally have the techniques to compete at that next level pretty safely also.

Those who think they will save their kids until later are doing them no favours. Fair enough if they (the kids) don't like it, but keeing them away to protect them may come back & bite you in the arse should they want to switch later on.

It's not the case with all kids, but developmentaly, mini/mod involvement gives them a good foundation of basic awarness & positioning.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My boy played under 12's through to under 18's.

I never asked him too, he is a boy in Brisbane. I tried to get him into golf.

Then at 17 he found parties and girls as most of his team mates did.

my kids play nothing except school sport, basically the sports here are very poorly organised and away games can a be upto 2 hours away. As i run a business it is near impossiable to get them to the games.
When they are old enough to play senior cricket (12) then I'll take them to play with the team I'm in, until then it backyard stuff.
If i didn't run a business and had the time I would offer to help out at the junior footy club. I think my boys would rather play soccer but, the 2nd boy wants to. The oldest isn't that keen on anything and I won't force him to be. They both like cricket but.

My boy played under 12's through to under 18's.

I never asked him too, he is a boy in Brisbane. I tried to get him into golf.

Then at 17 he found parties and girls as most of his team mates did.

So what do you attribute his good charcteristics to ? Partly to the good sporting Rugby Leaue influence I presume ?

Special K

Coach
Like I said in a prior thread....When I have kids I will be steering them towards playing basketball. I want to be a rich daddy like the Williams sisters' old man. There's not enough money in league for me as a dad.
your kid is going to be the next sean marks?:cool:

Latest posts