What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Brad Arthur deserve the hype?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Actually as emotional as we all right now you must admit it actually does make sense...

I blame the coach for the capitulation, he should of done something about our right side when it became painfully obvious that we were going to get run down and the lack of use for player 16 and 17 was just abysmal...

Serious question, would you have put them on when the gap closed to 12?

I remember thinking 'please don't put Pauli and Alvaro on now' - poor blokes, neither one is a polished FG defender, and if Pauli gets exposed, then we are all criticising Arthur and saying 'he should've stuck with the blokes who had brought him to the dance in the first place'. I'm not a coach, but I definitely said to myself 'I wouldn't have used them' after the game. [ok, so maybe giving them a go in the first half might have worked? Hindsight is everything, and the plan was to keep Pauli fresh for the second I am sure of that]

In the end, the Cowboys rolled forward ok, but then each set they scored of consisted of going left, carving up our edge to make long meters, and then kicking right behind Sandow (could he at least bump Coops on the way through??). No doubt their gameplan was to isolate him defensively, all they needed to do was wait until he switched off.

I feel sorry for Morgs to be honest. I'm not high on him as a defender. But he gets made to look an imbecile standing next to Chrissy.

Positive stuff: Norman is on fire. Our left edge was magnificent, and if we had Kelly (isn't he Arthurs preference?) on the right edge defensively, we probably win by 20. There are past issues preventing him from picking the team he wants. Arthur shouldn't have let us know that, because if we know it, the players know it, that can't be great for morale and resilience in tough spots I guess?

Noise

Coach
Gower needs to play right edge and Hoppa right centre in defence. Hoppa can still drop back on the last for kick returns.

Unless BA thinks the tepai sandow Morgan combo is going great guns.

Chipmunk

Coach
Perhaps if a 19 year old didn't have to play 80 minutes he might have been in a position to do his job and protect the Sandclown when it was really needed.

Alvaro should have been put on after 30 minutes in the first half and taken off 10 minutes into the second half. If he can't do that then he shouldn't be anywhere near this team.

I suggest we should also have considered playing Pauli Pauli in the same way.

At least if Seph Paulo sits on the bench instead of Alvaro you can take the Sandclown off after 55 minutes and put him in there to defend.

Are we also seriously playing Watmough $600k plus a year to play for 43 minutes? I believe he was put back on the field when the score was 30-6 and removed when it was 30-all... And some people on this forum think he will suddenly start playing for 80 minutes next season. Seriously???

We're only effectively using 3 front-rowers on rotation the last two weeks and our illustrious leader and supposed front row enforcer is still playing well less than 50 minutes each week.

Gronk

Staff member
Perhaps if a 19 year old didn't have to play 80 minutes he might have been in a position to do his job and protect the Sandclown when it was really needed.

Alvaro should have been put on after 30 minutes in the first half and taken off 10 minutes into the second half. If he can't do that then he shouldn't be anywhere near this team.

I suggest we should also have considered playing Pauli Pauli in the same way.

At least if Seph Paulo sits on the bench instead of Alvaro you can take the Sandclown off after 55 minutes and put him in there to defend.

Are we also seriously playing Watmough $600k plus a year to play for 43 minutes? I believe he was put back on the field when the score was 30-6 and removed when it was 30-all... And some people on this forum think he will suddenly start playing for 80 minutes next season. Seriously???

We're only effectively using 3 front-rowers on rotation the last two weeks and our illustrious leader and supposed front row enforcer is still playing well less than 50 minutes each week.

Watmerkin has been playing with a busted shoulder for weeks.

Chipmunk

Coach
Positive stuff: Norman is on fire. Our left edge was magnificent, and if we had Kelly (isn't he Arthurs preference?) on the right edge defensively, we probably win by 20. There are past issues preventing him from picking the team he wants. Arthur shouldn't have let us know that, because if we know it, the players know it, that can't be great for morale and resilience in tough spots I guess?

Fair points on the team selection issues.

I'm interested to see who we play on the right next year out of Foran and Norman. I think we've got to put Foran there.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Arthur's game-plan in the first half was fantastic, was definitely the reason we scored 30 points. It wasn't until we went away from that game-plan that saw the Cowboys score all of their points. Arthur has said he wants the boys playing whats in front of them, he should now take this away and tell them they must stick to the game-plan for 80 minutes.

If you are in the 17 then it should be assumed ur there to do a job.

The job shouldn't mean you need to stay on the bench and be protected if the other team is making a comeback. Every one of the 17 is a professional and should be called upon to do their job or not be named at all. Using 15 players is stupidity.

I do think he shows signs of being a good coach. Sill, he stuffed up on this one.

Incorrect

Coach
Arthur's game-plan in the first half was fantastic, was definitely the reason we scored 30 points. It wasn't until we went away from that game-plan that saw the Cowboys score all of their points. Arthur has said he wants the boys playing whats in front of them, he should now take this away and tell them they must stick to the game-plan for 80 minutes.

Agreed. If that ride edge defence of ours keeps getting slaughtered the way it did in the 2nd half last night, he should tell them to play what's behind them, cause that's where the opposition will be!!!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Fair points on the team selection issues.

I'm interested to see who we play on the right next year out of Foran and Norman. I think we've got to put Foran there.

Just quietly i would be putting the 4 nations winning half on the side he wants (left), and letting Norman adapt his game.

Cannot see Foran being less productive than Norman on that left edge with Ma'u, Taka and Semi.

Chipmunk

Coach
Just quietly i would be putting the 4 nations winning half on the side he wants (left), and letting Norman adapt his game.

Cannot see Foran being less productive than Norman on that left edge with Ma'u, Taka and Semi.

So you would play someone who kicks right footed on the left side of the field and someone who kicks left footed on the right side of the field?

I can see Norman being less productive on the right. I can also see Norman, a noted arm grabbing poor defender, becoming a real defensive liability on the right side when Sandow is no longer in the team to be the defensive target in the team.

Noise

Coach
We aren't? Lets look at the past couple of weeks:

1) All sides of the election for control of the club were fighting, backstabbing, breaking the rules and running to the paper to get their name out there
2) Our star halfback crashes a car he is test driving and flees the scene
3) Our $550K star halfback gets dropped to Wenty and replaced by a plodder of epic proportions
4) 2 players are revealed to be involved in a drug testing scandal and suspended
5) We have the worst defence in the league
6) We are favourites for the spoon.
7) After today we will be coming last

How are we not a basket case?

8) We are salary cap cheats

9) We blew a 30-6 lead in 12 minutes
10) Our star halfback bags the coach's game plan

What a month. Nope. Not a basket case :crazy:

strider

Post Whore
9) We blew a 30-6 lead in 12 minutes
10) Our star halfback bags the coach's game plan

What a month. Nope. Not a basket case :crazy:

if we had made the finals regularly in recent times then all that would only be a mole hill .... but all that ontop of the last 5 years is f**kin everest!!

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I can see Norman being less productive on the right. I can also see Norman, a noted arm grabbing poor defender, becoming a real defensive liability on the right side when Sandow is no longer in the team to be the defensive target in the team.

Probably why we signed Beau Scott. Norman at least attempts to get in front of players to tackle them, Sandow's defensive problems is that often he doesn't do that, he'll hide behind Tep and Morgan instead.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Brad arthur needs to have a day where the team reads the secret and then watches the movie. Much more productive than his social central coast gatherings or an overhead projector. The team needs to realise results are not coming there way because they dont believe they will. Its the law of attraction, you get what you think about negative and positive.

In the 2nd half against the cowboys they were probably thinking that no lead is ever safe with the eels. How else do you explain five length of the field tries? No coach can save us. The secret can.

Last edited:

Latest posts