What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Gosford care about rugby league?

LESStar58

Referee
Okay, for the record: I want to see the Central Coast get a team and I honestly hope the Bears can be resurrected there in the near future.

I have sometimes very heated debates with a friend of mine, a Gosford-based union/A-League fan who HATES rugby league. He takes great pride in ribbing me and telling me the Storm will die in the arse as will league in Melbourne as "nobody cares".

I say the same thing about the mariners.

Now, I beleive all code can co-exist even though I may despise the like of union and AFL. I like soccer but don't bother my arse with the mickey mouse A-League.

However; my retort to him is that if the Bears hadn't been shafted by Manly and the NRL by going into the failed Northern Eagles venture and had gone to Gosford as a stand alone club, soccer wouldn't get a look in on the Central COast as it is a rugby leage heartland.

He claims that nobody cares about league in Gosford and are more passionate about the Mariners than any other code the CC could host.

My question: is he right? Does Gosford/Central Coast care about our game.

Comments welcome. Help me prove him wrong

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We might be in the grips of Mariner fever, but this is still very much an NRL loving region. We have just as much right to a team as the Gold Coast. The Mariners are nothing more than a fad that the media wants to wank over. No-one cared about them until the final weeks of the season.

In saying that - I would like to encourage everyone and anyone within earshot of Bluetongue Stadium to get out there and love or abuse the Roosters and Knights on Sunday 6 August. Get behind the game!

LESStar58

Referee
Timmah said:
We might be in the grips of Mariner fever, but this is still very much an NRL loving region. We have just as much right to a team as the Gold Coast. The Mariners are nothing more than a fad that the media wants to wank over. No-one cared about them until the final weeks of the season.

Are you a Central Coast resident Timmah?

If so...can i quote you verbatim on the statement in bold?

Timmah

Staff member
Absolutely, born and bred. You can quote me more than verbatim on it. I live 4km out of Gosford, I drive through the city every morning to get to work. I work in the visitors information centre and run the event calendar for the entire region. Nobody knew who they were until mid-late January this year. Radio and papers only jumped on them late in the season. This week, the local paper (Express Advocate) signed a media deal with them.

LESStar58

Referee
f**kin hell!

This gets better and better!

I can't wait to unload sh*t all this on my friend!

Any input from residents BESIDES Timmah is welcome! :D

Master Vippo

Juniors
Games at Express Advovcate (still called that?) stadium usually get very respective crowds when teams play there. And those teams aren't even Central coast teams (obviously since their isnt one).

Master Vippo

Juniors
(I live just north of the central coast, but have heaps of friends and family who ,lve their. League is much alive there.

LESStar58

Referee
General consensus.... who in Gosford wants their own team?

Is the general feeling they'll accept a relocated team or should it be a brand new franchise.

A stadium that good deserves its own team in the flagship code of the region!

Timmah

Staff member
It's a split between wanting the Bears here, or our own new separate entity. Either way, we don't want the Beagles debacle. We got MAJORLY shafted by it. Bluetongue (as the stadium is now known) always gets well in excess of 10k for NRL matches, even though the teams playing are nothing doing. City v Country when it was here always got 16 or 17k from memory.

I want a team here. They would be second in my heart obviously but I would cheer for them with every breath in my lungs after my Doggies.

LESStar58

Referee
I want the NRL to do the right thing and put the bears there like what shoulda have happened in 99/00.

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL doesn't give a f**k about what anyone wants ;-)

Timmah

Staff member
:|

I'm assuming sarcasm there - and I think you're stupid. Bluetongue is one of the best stadiums in the game.

Timmah

Staff member
FTR:

Mariners pre season cup first and only home game until September the other night. First game since the grand final.

Crowd?

Yeah, the Coast LOVES the Mariners :roll:

Timmah

Staff member
Have you actually been to the stadium? Apart from the lack of seating at one of the ends, what is so bad about it? Very sad assessment on your behalf.

Enoughsaid

Juniors
Yeah i've been there and it's a hole

why do u need a Gosford team? gosford is an hour from Sydney or newcastle
We have more than enuff teams in Sydney

We should be looking at reducing not increasin the number of teams in the comp..

Timmah

Staff member
That's an absolute bollocks argument and you know it. RL would thrive in this region, if given a local team. It's a well-neglected market and everyone knows it.

A hole? It's better to watch a game there than at many of the grounds in the NRL. Very easy viewing, no overly shocking seats.