What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dogs accept compensation offer for SBW.

EEhhhh come on guys, what`s this `Sonny`s contract getting PAID OUT` supposed to mean???? Sonny`s contract salary for the remainder of his 5-year deal is, and has always been with the Bulldogs. I`m not sure what the normal payment period is in the NRL, I assume they`re paid weekly, like most other people. The Dogs have no right to claim the remainder of the contract value from Sonny, simply because they have never paid it to him.

However, 750k is still pocket money.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
For Canterbury, I think the deal is good.

For the NRL, it's a disaster. Canterbury didn't get the black eye - the NRL and the code did. So why didn't the NRL carry the fight? Sounds like they left the Dogs high and dry. Pissweak.

If it went to trial, could the courts actually stop SBW playing RU in France?

What happens then? The Bulldogs could try and bring a player back that doesn't want to be there.

Instead of talking about measures that can be taken to prevent this from happening again. People are talking about SBW being made an example of and for any consequences to be seen as a deterrent.

What an excellent thing to do. Make players feel like the clubs perceive them as a piece of meat.

Instead of trying to improve the situation for players and the game, the approach some are suggesting (based purely on the concept that the game is bigger than the player [which is true, no player is bigger than rugby league, but obviously some players are bigger than the NRL]) to deter other players from doing it is just going to make more players disillusioned with the NRL and their clubs.

Look at why SBW was leaving. Of course Khoder and Mundine were big influences. But he made the decision himself and he consulted his father. And some of the reasons he gave in the interview are legitimate reasons to be unhappy and to want out.

What f**king tripe! What was SBW's main gripe? Thios is the gist of what he said:

• The coach picked on his mate.
  • He, like all males, has testicles.
  • Bus drivers are allowed to drive another bus.
  • He sticks up for what he believes in - just like Adolph Hitler, Carl Williams, Osama Bin Ladin, Peter Hoare, or the Siberian nutters who lived in a cave because the world was about to blow up.
So I take it that if SBW was NRL CEO, he would introduce laws that ensure:

• Coaches don't say bad things about Mundine
  • That only bus drivers can become coaches
  • All players should have eligibility to play for NSW and the Bore Blacks,
  • Games can be cancelled suddenly so players can go to France if the feel like it just before a game.

Last edited:
For Canterbury, I think the deal is good.

For the NRL, it's a disaster. Canterbury didn't get the black eye - the NRL and the code did. So why didn't the NRL carry the fight? Sounds like they left the Dogs high and dry. Pissweak.

What f**king tripe! What was SBW's main gripe? Thios is the gist of what he said:

• The coach picked on his mate.
  • He, like all males, has testicles.
  • Bus drivers are allowed to drive another bus.
  • He sticks up for what he believes in - just like Adolph Hitler, Carl Williams, Osama Bin Ladin, Peter Hoare, or the Siberian nutters who lived in a cave because the world was about to blow up.
So I take it that if SBW was NRL CEO, he would introduce laws that ensure:

• Coaches don't say bad things about Mundine
  • That only bus drivers can become coaches
  • All players should have eligibility to play for NSW and the Bore Blacks,
  • Games can be cancelled suddenly so players can go to France if the feel like it just before a game.

mate, dont take what people who prefer RU over RL seriously.

Kiki

First Grade
hmmmm. i really wanted him to pay for what he did. this really has no consequences for him and i think thats a massive mistake.

Loudstrat

Coach
Might be because there is no contract between the NRL and SBW. So what would they argue?

Breach of contract conditions

Breach of court order.

Surely the NRL is involved in this, as SBW is a figurehead in the game.

Is the NRL washing it's hands of clubs in a contract crisis?

Patorick

Staff member
Wiedler bumming up to his buddies again:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/richo-to-the-rescue/2008/08/16/1218307316403.html

Richo to the rescue

Danny Wiedler | August 17, 2008

SONNY BILL WILLIAMS has never met or talked to the man who has freed him from the shackles of a contract with the Bulldogs to continue playing rugby union with French club Toulon, but Graham Richardson can expect a big thank you this week.
Williams hasn't been represented in court for any of the subpoena hearings, but his agent/friend Khoder Nasser wasn't leaving him high and dry.
Nasser scoured the city to find the best in the business. On the advice of some of his closest contacts including Hurstville solicitor Jack Jakova he chose Mark O'Brien. And Nasser took O'Brien's advice from the moment he was sure that Williams wouldn't be in town to finish the season.
After Williams played his first trial last week, O'Brien could sense the only solution to this situation was a settlement. Nasser and Williams were prepared to be in contempt of court and would have played against Toulouse if O'Brien hadn't called on his close friend and former Federal Government minister Richardson to broker a deal.
"He called me on Tuesday and said there was a situation he needed sorting and could I help," Richardson said.
"Mark is one of my best mates so I was happy to get involved and I also know Khoder and have always got on well with him."
Richardson is a big Dragons fan, was an admirer of Anthony Mundine and, as it happens, drinks coffee at Mundine's cafe in Hurstville, Boxa Bar, which is managed by Nasser.
"I'd have a coffee in there once or twice a month and always had a chat with Khoder," Richardson said.
"I was watching this situation and, to be honest, I could see merit in both sides.
"I could see that the NRL needed to uphold its contract system. But I could see where Sonny Bill was coming from. These blokes have a limited time to make top dollar - eight or nine years - and if you are looking at $400,000 to play with a club here or four times that in France it's not a hard decision.
"If it was your kid, you'd say 'take it up, son'. I've never met Sonny or talked to him, but that didn't mean I couldn't understand where he was coming from.
"I thought it was a situation which could be solved and I got involved."
So while Sonny Bill was dining on baguettes and green tea in Toulon, it was a Chinese meal in suburban Concord that has freed him to enjoy the spoils of his $1.5 million deal.
"I played a round of golf on Wednesday morning in Concord and had a Chinese lunch with George Peponis and his legal adviser," Richardson said.
"Initially we went in with the thought of settling the matter for $200,000, but the Dogs were very angry and I could see that wasn't going to happen.
"But the talks started then and George was very open to the idea of settling the matter.
"I had several phone conversations during the week with George and I want to make it clear, despite reports, I have never talked with Todd Greenberg about this matter.
"And from the other side, Mark O'Brien has been dealing with Khoder more than I have.
"Nor has Toulon been involved. Nor have I been in France. This was a conversation between myself, Khoder and the Bulldogs. All my dealings were with George.
"Toulon has nothing to do with any of this. This is about Sonny Bill making a payment to the Dogs not about his club in France bailing him out."
And, as Nine News revealed on Friday night, the payment is $750,000 - an unheard-of amount in Australian sport.
"We took $750,000 to them and I still think that we paid too much, but in the end it's a payment for the kid's freedom," he said.
"They were lining the battleships up and I know Sonny Bill was ready for war. He was going to play in the trial against Toulouse but Mark and I asked Khoder to call him off because we were in negotiations so they did. They weren't worried about the legal threat."
The Bulldogs board initially rejected the offer on Friday.
"They said they wanted $1million," Richardson said.
"I told them that was never going to happen and told them they were ready to fight. An hour later they called back and accepted it. In the end, a court case wasn't going to help anyone. Both sides got what they wanted. And everyone goes with their honour."
The NRL didn't really want Sonny Bill to leave with too much honour.
It's my understanding it wanted him to apologise to the game he deserted.
"That was mentioned to me but my concern has been doing the deal with the Bulldogs," Richardson said. "Nothing more than that."
And yesterday O'Brien was locked away in his office creating the settlement document. The Bulldogs stipulated that Williams be banned from playing for another NRL club until the end of the contract he broke, which was due to expire in 2012. The club also demanded that the compensation be paid in full by tomorrow.
Richardson, meanwhile, was left to cope with the half-truths and the headlines. "There was so much that was mis-reported," he said. "And I've had people asking me what I got for doing the deal. Nothing is the answer. And I paid for the Chinese lunch so I'm out of pocket."
Now that Williams is able to re-enter Australia he will be looking Richardson up on his return. And the dim sims will be on him.

Danny Weidler is a sports reporter for Channel Nine news and The Footy Show.

Ha.

$200,000?

Dreaming.

Kiki

First Grade
spot on. What are the consequences for SBW and/or Nasser? Nada.

yep. i mean whats the point of even having a contract if there are no consequences for breaking it?? im really dissapointed the dogs and the NRL arent trying to nail his ass to the wall.

bartman

Immortal
Weidler is the biggest waste of space. Agenda driven tripe.

I can't believe Channel 9 pay him money.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
I can't stand SBW, and really never liked him, but the fact is that he outmaneuvered the NRL and the Bulldogs, and was always going to wind up on top when the dust settled. As individuals, the NRL executives might want to 'get back' at SBW, but as businessmen they will have quickly realised that getting back would have simply cost the NRL more than it could afford.

The legal case against Williams was never clear cut. Whilst the imposition of the injunction against Williams was a positive step for the NRL and the Bulldogs, it is unclear what the Australian courts would have been able to do to Williams - besides seizing his assets in Australia - had he chosen to defy the courts. Moreover, the threat that the NRL and the Bulldogs would be sued by Toulon in the French courts for moral harrassment was very real - moreso because of Gallop's past actions during the Super League war.

Williams' threat against the salary cap was no idle threat, either. Nobody is really sure how it would have turned out, because there are compelling reasons for hypothetical success or failure. Whilst the survival of the NRL is predicated on the maintenence of the salary cap, there is a principle in law called fiat justicia, ruit caelum. This basically translates into 'let justice be done, even though the sky falls down' and indicates that if something is deemed to be 'unjust', it doesn't matter what impact its abolition will have on society. Justice must be done, and it must be abolished.

The effect of the abolition of the salary cap on the game has been discussed a lot, both here and elsewhere: the long and short of the situation is that if the salary cap did not exist, the game would not exist in its current form. SBW's message to the NRL was clear: try and ruin my plans, and I'll take aim at the very core of your game. No businessman in his right mind would take such a gamble.

What we see is that the NRL was faced with the prospect of fighting three protracted legal battles - to impose Williams' injunction, to fight off a lawsuit for moral harrassment, and to protect the salary cap. They knew Williams had a powerful, extremely rich backer in the owner of Toulon, and hence had the resources for the fight, and they also knew that the longer things dragged on, the more Williams would continue to bring the game into disrepute.

Williams' status within the game prior to his departure cannot be underestimated. As New Zealand's most prominent player, the NRL could not afford to have him undermining their initiatives in NZ - speaking out weekly about the game's problems and turning both spectators and potential players from the game. They could not afford to have him providing the Australian media with more ammunition to use against the NRL. They had to shut him up.

A settlement was really the only option they had which would have left them with anything at all.

Plumplechook

Juniors
F**k me. I should have become a lawyer like my mum told me. Bulldogs/NRL rack up legal bills of $300,000.00 in a couple of weeks over the SBW saga. And what does that buy you? A couple of 1 hour court appearances and a couple of Froggy process servers throwing injunctions in the general direction of SBW (plus sundry photocopying expenses).

No wonder the NRL were pressuring the Bulldogs to settle this out of court ASAP. Now comes the s**tfight over who's going to foot the legal bill.