What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs on the take?

Paullyboy

Coach
Wow! I didn't actually watch the highlights before I made my previous comments. After re-watching it, it looks incredibly dodgy. He is surely in some hot water over that, it's not like it's hard to work out who the #1 suspect would be so they could go straight to the source.

Paullyboy

Coach
Exactly, nothing is a guarantee, but he could easily increased the odds in the punters favour dramatically - and when those odds are paying double figures (wound in to 8's), that's an excellent proposition for someone who is into that sort of business.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Some posts have been moderated. We wish to keep the thread open so I ask that people think about any potential defamation before posting.

In the interest of free speech, the thread is open for discussion. The majority of members understand this.

But if unfounded conclusions and accusations continue to be made, the thread will have to be closed.

It'll be a minority that might cause this, and those members may face suspension. But we don't want to go there, so please post responsibly people.

Cheers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Channel 9's Danny Weidler has accused Ryan Tandy of being the player responsible.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Further to that - Tandy denies it all, Greenberg says the club is aware and cooperating.

RufusRex

Post Whore
agree .. the video by itself is nothing .. the betting plunge on cowboys goal makes it worthy of investigation though

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I warched the game live and then the replay after hearing the allegations, and it is very hard for your judgement to stay uncoluded on the second viewing.

How many people watched it live, and said hang on Ryan Tandy looks suss here.. Not many..

In the words of hansie cronjie " Its only a rort if your not in it" and " oh f**k is that a mountain"

ironhorse

Juniors
nah , just conspiracy theorists ... you often see the same person involved in those situations, they are slowing the play the ball because they were responsible for the fact they are there . So its an forced error to make up for a unforced error . See it all the time ,it's just people would be trying to link it all due to someone punting . meh .

Azkatro

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/im-not-involved-tandy-hits-back-20100827-13vw1.html

I'm not involved: Tandy hits back

Chris Barrett, Glenn Jackson and Brad Walter

August 28, 2010
TANDY-420x0.jpg
Hurt ... Bulldogs forward Ryan Tandy has denied any involvement in a betting plunge against the Cowboys last week. Photo: Ben Rushton

BULLDOGS prop Ryan Tandy has vehemently denied deliberately conceding the penalty that has become the focus of an NRL betting investigation.
Tandy conceded a penalty in the second minute of last Saturday night's match against North Queensland in Townsville - at a time when punters stood to win almost $250,000 if the Cowboys had opened the scoring with a penalty goal.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH FOOTAGE OF THE INCIDENT

The fact that a penalty goal - normally a low-interest option - was so heavily backed convinced bookmakers to cease betting on the option hours before kick-off.
Tandy turned the ball over to the Cowboys after the first hit-up of the match and, barely a minute later, conceded a penalty in front of his own posts after lying on North Queensland halfback Grant Rovelli.
Instead of opting for the penalty kick, Cowboys hooker Anthony Watts took a quick tap and the Cowboys scored a try through Ty Williams.
Tandy yesterday denied any involvement, saying he had ''nothing to hide''.
''I'm not involved 100 per cent, no way,'' he told the Herald. ''You're not allowed to bet on rugby league for a start, being a rugby league player, so there is no way I'd do that. Second, I'd never jeopardise my team like that.''
Asked if he had deliberately given away a penalty, the 29-year-old, who joined the Bulldogs mid-season from Melbourne, said: ''That wasn't the case. And if it was, why didn't they take the two points, you know what I mean? I don't think there is anything suspicious in it other than someone has had a plunge on it, I guess.''
Tandy claimed the Bulldogs should have been awarded a penalty after he lost control of the ball from his first hit-up.
''I had a look at the play-the-ball because I do that in my individuals [video session],'' he said. ''His [the defender's] hand is actually on the ball so that's a penalty to us.''
Tandy said he was alerted to allegations of a rort by teammates after the Herald's story yesterday. ''The boys were talking about it,'' he said. ''We got told this morning, mate. I know absolutely nothing about it. All the boys had a go at me about it … 'It could have been you because you gave the penalty away.' What can you do?''
And he said it ''hurt'' having his name linked to a betting sting.
''It's not an allegation but to be saying I was involved in something like that is ridiculous,'' he said. ''To be honest, I haven't looked at the vision [of the contentious penalty]. That's how much I was unaware of it.
''All I knew was that I cost the team a try at the start of the game, and that's the most disappointing thing.''
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said he had spoken to Tandy, and the front-rower had denied any wrongdoing. ''I know Ryan has been stuck with the innuendo based on that penalty in front [of the posts] … but he has denied it this morning when he was quizzed about it, certainly to me personally and to the media,'' Greenberg said.
''I remember the game well … so I know exactly what they are talking about but there are a few things I am struggling to understand. First of all, the bookies are complaining but no one got a collect so I am not sure how that stacks up - not that that makes it right.
''Why someone on an opposition team would back someone taking a penalty [goal] … there are so many things that don't add up … it's a weird one but I am not a punter so I don't have the mindset that a punter might.''
It is the second match in as many seasons involving teams out of finals contention to come under scrutiny, following last year's Sydney Roosters-North Queensland clash. Greenberg said the NRL might need an independent investigator for such matters.
''The innuendo and stain on it sticks quite often even if something doesn't come of it,'' he said. ''So to have someone independent just going and doing the investigation and basically just getting access to all of the bets can't be that hard. There wouldn't be that many bets on that option, you wouldn't think, so go and find all the bets on it and have a look at each one.
''If there are any links there, fire up, and if there isn't, clear it and move on. We will do everything we can to help the NRL investigate it but … there isn't much I can do it at the moment. I have said to [NRL director of media and communications] John Brady … that what they have to do is get to the bottom of it quickly.''
Something else I find interesting is that somebody rang up Triple M on Monday morning - they have some conspiracy theory segment - and said he had heard that in this match, there was a betting plunge .. not on the penalty goal as the first scoring play, but on the Cowboys/Dogs half/full double.

Last edited:

Latest posts