What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs on the take?

Loudstrat

Coach
So that's what happened to us in 1999? Betting plunge! Ladbrokes offered 250-1 against a winger suddenly forgetting the offside rule in the last 10 minutes of a prelim final... :lol::lol:

Cletus

First Grade
nah , just conspiracy theorists ... you often see the same person involved in those situations, they are slowing the play the ball because they were responsible for the fact they are there . So its an forced error to make up for a unforced error . See it all the time ,it's just people would be trying to link it all due to someone punting . meh .

The thing is it's early in the tackle count early in the game. It's not like they were tired and needed to slow down the ptb to get their line set. And there looks like a grapple as well just incase the refs are being slack on the ptb speed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
DT Tomorrow has a story on it and according to Rothfield the police have been called in by Ray Murrihy.

Last edited:

MightyBronco

Juniors
Link

THE NRL is poised to call on police to help with investigations into the betting plunge before the Bulldogs-North Queensland match. The allegations come amid claims Bulldogs forward Ryan Tandy was banned by a Central Coast leagues club 10 years ago over an unpaid TAB bet (see story right).
It is also alleged a player involved in the Cowboys-Bulldogs game owes a large amount of money to bookmakers. The NRL last night refused to identify any individuals who might be implicated in any alleged sting.
But a source confirmed yesterday that "as sure as night follows day" police will be called into investigate.

The NRL has called in Racing NSW chief steward Ray Murrihy to head the investigation, which centres around a big plunge on the first scoring play in the Cowboys-Bulldogs match. Punters stood to win more than $250,000 if the Cowboys kicked a penalty goal.
The Bulldogs conceded a penalty in front of their posts within the first two minutes, but the Cowboys took a tap.
The fact that a penalty goal - normally a low-interest wager - was so heavily backed convinced bookmakers to stop betting on the option hours before kick-off.
Tandy, who dropped the ball after the first hit-up before conceding the penalty, strongly denied any involvement.
They showed the footage on Offsiders. Looked pretty bad. If they were doing a sneaky they couldnt pull it off.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
Nothing will come of it. Read somewhere else that the brother of one of the players managers had some money down.

Will be swept under the carpet.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

interesting

if anything comes of this..surely it spells the end of the

rabs "line on parramatta just blew out by half a percentage point"
Gus "i wanna slice of that action!"
sterlo "bet responsibly LOL!"

im sick of the constant ingame betting stuff.

as for this incident....

whilst its not quite pakistan cricket....suss.

very. very suss

Loudstrat

Coach
Also suss - wasn't the Cowpats involved in a game with similar allegations at a similar time of the year last season???

And yes, Rusty's band, I agree. Voss crapped on about a bloke betting a years wage at $1.20 against anyone getting a 40/20 in the Warriors game. It was talking point for a few minutes. Then they insert the meek "bet responsibly" - like after commentating for ages on a totally irresponsible bet? If it's not that it's a story about a racehorse that someone part owns.....

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
Doesn't look good for Tandy at all. He's had a previous incident with gambling. Could find himself in some trouble. I'm surprised he's still playing and hasn't been sat down.

stormbati

Bench
I never thought of this kind of fix. I mean I've always heard of Winning or losing. I guess you wouldn't feel as guilty giving away a penalty.

gerg

Juniors
Also suss - wasn't the Cowpats involved in a game with similar allegations at a similar time of the year last season???

And yes, Rusty's band, I agree. Voss crapped on about a bloke betting a years wage at $1.20 against anyone getting a 40/20 in the Warriors game. It was talking point for a few minutes. Then they insert the meek "bet responsibly" - like after commentating for ages on a totally irresponsible bet? If it's not that it's a story about a racehorse that someone part owns.....

Yes, final game of the year against the Roosters.

Brutus

Referee
Can Randy play cricket?

He may get a start in Pakistan somewhere.

The ultimate journeyman.

ah.

yeah, but that was the allegation that the chooks threw the game when up by 16.

cowboys again though.

its a joke mate.

im not against gambling at all. but i dont believe that it should be so brazenly advertised on tv. and to have the commentators go on and on not only cheapens the event but its also f**king lame.

the NRL makes heaps of gambling advertsing. if this results in something criminal then the league need to have a serious look at who they take their money from.

Doomednow

Bench
I don't mind discussion on odds during the game because it gives an idea of where the public and bookies are thinking the game is heading, however advertising gambling is a bit of problem. If only there was some way of separating the two

Canard

Immortal

I think thats just cause there has been no team like the Cowboys who have played in so many meaningless late season games in the past 3 seasons.

If I was going to rig a game, a penalty goal conceded by a team down on confidence late season would be a sure bet.

Seems to be organised by an amateur if it was though, as too much money was bet and raised suspicion. (so it was either leaked or boasted about to many)

If only smart people turned to crime...

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I never thought of this kind of fix. I mean I've always heard of Winning or losing. I guess you wouldn't feel as guilty giving away a penalty.

Very similar to the Walker scandal that broke out a few years ago.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Yeah this annoys me as well. Don't care so much when they talk about the odds briefly, but to actually discuss a persons bet and then go on about gambling. Very annoying.

Having said that, in this instance the punter lost his 20k 5 minutes later so it turned out to be a good don't gamble advertisement, even if it wasn't mean to be.

Latest posts