What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dogs rule out moving games to belmore despite nrl push

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Too lazy to copy and paste?

Bulldogs games 'could move interstate'
By Steve Jancetic
July 03, 2008

BRISBANE and not Belmore is the likely destination should the Bulldogs be asked to move games away from ANZ Stadium, according to club chief executive Todd Greenberg.
Greenberg claimed the dilapidated Belmore Sports Ground - the longtime former base of the Bulldogs - was “not a viable option” in response to a push from the NRL for a return to boutique venues.

Rather Greenberg said the club would move low drawing home games away from ANZ and to interstate venues in a bid to cash in fan interest in less traditional areas.

“Being realistic, Belmore's not a viable option, it doesn't have anywhere near the facilities even for the general public let alone corporates so that's not an option for us,” Greenberg said.

“We don't have many other options for boutique grounds but there are ways of looking at opportunities for our interstate games - potentially against interstate teams that don't draw well in Sydney.

“We've got a long term deal in place (at ANZ Stadium) but we're happy to look at ways of playing the right games at the right stadiums.”

The Bulldogs will take a home game against North Queensland to Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium in round 22, having done the same thing last year, while they have previously taken games to the Gold Coast and New Zealand.

But while Greenberg said he was open to moving some fixtures, he said the focus should remain attracting more fans to ANZ Stadium.

The NRL and ANZ Stadium are at loggerheads over poorly-attended matches at the 83,000 seat Olympic venue, the banks of empty seats providing little atmosphere and creating a bad look on television screens.

The two parties have accused each other of initiating plans to shift less popular games away from the venue in exchange for blockbuster clashes.

Greenberg believes more energy should be spent on improving crowd numbers rather than playing the blame game.

“I understand it's not a good look, but what goes with it is the facilities of the people that are there - that's important, we can't take our eye off that ball,” Greenberg said.
“Being blunt, 15,000, we're still underperforming ... we've got to get more people to our games.

“ANZ Stadium are probably frustrated at the moment .. their prime purpose out of this is to drive more people to rugby league games.

“That's where the NRL, the stadium and clubs like ours, we're all very united, we have similar goals to get more people to games and we need to work collaboratively to make sure that happens.”

The Bulldogs, the original ANZ Stadium tenants, are one of five teams to use the ground as a home base this season with St George Illawarra, Wests Tigers, South Sydney and Parramatta also utilising the facility.

Timmah

Staff member
Fair enough. Just makes it easier for those less inclined to click.

Stupid idea if the 'Dogs move any extra games up to Brisbane - it's hard enough getting fans to ANZ let alone Suncorp or Skilled.

Moffo

Referee
stfu tim

ive spoken to people at the club about this and they could fix up belmore but there are bigger political issues at play. i won't name names but it has a lot to do with people that have been in the news lately

stfu tim

ive spoken to people at the club about this and they could fix up belmore but there are bigger political issues at play. i won't name names but it has a lot to do with people that have been in the news lately

thanks for that, crystal clear now.

a couple of games at belmore would be fantastic.

though taking the north queensland game to brisbane is a good idea.

maybe they could also look at robina

Dogs Of War

Coach
This is where the NRL needs to step in, and help co-ordinate where we take these games that are surplus to the requirements of Sydney.

Organise and promote the games in places like Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, NZ etc. Make it so we can have Rugby League carnivals around the nation, with say 2 games in each city every year, increasing the supporter base, and exposure of the code.

But it will only work with a top down approach, where the NRL is the master and ruler, leaving the clubs up to it, means you get decisions like the Bulldogs where they take there game to markets that have already been conquered.

roughyedspud

Coach
whats wrong with the sydney showground?

i know the dogs used to play there,and it's technically a baseball stadium but with a bit of rebuilding and mving about sydney would have the 25,000 - 30,000 stadium it desparately need..

ps, you lot have probably had the showgrounds debate many times?

rabbitohs

Juniors
This is where the NRL needs to step in, and help co-ordinate where we take these games that are surplus to the requirements of Sydney.

Organise and promote the games in places like Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, NZ etc. Make it so we can have Rugby League carnivals around the nation, with say 2 games in each city every year, increasing the supporter base, and exposure of the code.

But it will only work with a top down approach, where the NRL is the master and ruler, leaving the clubs up to it, means you get decisions like the Bulldogs where they take there game to markets that have already been conquered.

exactly....so many teams are hapy to play a couple of games away from home. Spread the game...come to Adelaide....and Perth, Darwin every frigging where! Guaranteed decent crowds and the state governments would probably chip in for the fares and accomodation.

Timmah

Staff member

That last section... spot on. Suncorp Stadium is already RUGBY LEAGUE HEARTLAND FFS!

barney gumble

Juniors
Whilst not unhappy to see the Dogs getting flogged most weeks, it is clear to most semi-intelligent people that the best way to get the passion back is to go back to the heartland.

The cavernous ANZ just doesn't work for players or fans.

Dogs Of War

Coach
whats wrong with the sydney showground?

i know the dogs used to play there,and it's technically a baseball stadium but with a bit of rebuilding and mving about sydney would have the 25,000 - 30,000 stadium it desparately need..

ps, you lot have probably had the showgrounds debate many times?

Worst ground ever in the history of Rugby League. So many poor parts of the ground for viewing, which should be top notch.

As for rebuilding that ground, I just don't see the point. It has it purpose, really we should be looking at filling ANZ (well not capacity every game, but attracting 30-40K each game), and ways to make that happen. Many sports around the world do this including one in Australia.

Timbo

Staff member
Belmore would need a lot of work.

The corporate facilities have been basically gutted since the Dogs left and the grandstand has some structural issues.

I think it'd be great for the Dogs to take 3-5 of their lower drawing games there but it'll never happen.

Timbo

Staff member
Also was it the Dogs that took home games to Concord in the mid 90s? It's still a pretty good venue I wonder if it'd get consideration.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not even sure Concord has capacity for more than 10k...

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm not even sure Concord has capacity for more than 10k...

It takes approx 22K at capacity. I went to all 3 games the Dogs played there. In one, I think it was Greg Florimo who swung a punch at Jarrod McCrakken, Jarrod returned serve with what must be a record amount of punches ever in about 4 seconds.

I don't think it's a bad option, but I can't see it happening, and whether thats the best thing for the game as well is another thing. The problem is that we have too much product in Sydney, what needs to happen is either a conference style system to give the games between Sydney teams more meaning (as well as minimising interstate teams visiting) or moving games to new areas as I suggested previously.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
At the moment, Concord is the WT home base isn't it?

Latest posts