What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dom Young

PhilGould

Bench
Hopefully we lock him down long-term before November 1. I'm sure he can see that he would be scoring twice as many tries and winning games playing with a half and centre that actually give him the ball in attacking positions. Have a feeling Melbourne will chase him hard if we allow them get a sniff.

He's a centre for mine.

PhilGould

Bench

Some of the stuff he can do as a centre, from the 4 or 5 reggies games total he played last season. You can still get the yardage play runs without him catching a cold on the wing the rest of the time.

He's a work in progress in defence at either position.

Yosh

Coach
I reckon if Best was playing in those games, he would look just as good. We have no idea how to get the best out of our centres at Newcastle.

Burwood

Bench
No one is kicking the ball to him and giving him the chance for kick returns, so don’t think he’ll lose too much by moving to centres.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Besides his obvious physical gifts Dom Young has something the majority of our squad dont - A will and drive to be the best.

Imagine the determination of a young fella to leave his family and country to come half the world away to test himself.

Young didnt come here to lose- the majority of the squad should be more like this kid.

perverse

Referee
Besides his obvious physical gifts Dom Young has something the majority of our squad dont - A will and drive to be the best.

Imagine the determination of a young fella to leave his family and country to come half the world away to test himself.

Young didnt come here to lose- the majority of the squad should be more like this kid.
This is 100% correct. I've spoken a lot in the past about player motivation, the fact that I think most players in our squad don't really have it and are happy just chilling in Newcastle, etc... but Dom is evidently not one of those. He has his own personal motivations to want to improve and be the best player he can be.

In short, we haven't ruined him yet.

Dom is playing for an England spot at the end of the year. Wing is where they have a bit of strength and depth so he has a fair bit of competition

He and McGillvary starting off sets will be scary

PhilGould

Bench
This is 100% correct. I've spoken a lot in the past about player motivation, the fact that I think most players in our squad don't really have it and are happy just chilling in Newcastle, etc... but Dom is evidently not one of those. He has his own personal motivations to want to improve and be the best player he can be.

In short, we haven't ruined him yet.
That's the reason I fear he'll leave. Clearly an ambitious and confident kid if you watch his interviews, doubt he'll be content getting smashed every week.

IMO he's as good if not better a prospect than Coates was when Melbourne signed him. I believe he'll be one of the best outside backs in the comp if given the opportunity to be.

Old dog

Juniors
Have been very impressed with him, seems to be getting better and better And his attitude is great.
Like to see him stay on wing, his carry backs are very strong and the further upfield he makes it the less the team has to drop back.
Sign him for 3 years plus option but play him on the wing for another year while we still have Gags to mentor him

Jono078

Referee
I think Centre is his future. You watch those highlights posted above - there aren't many who can do what he does in that position either.

But we can't do that until we get another strong kick returner in the squad because Ponga returns half his kicks these days and obviously Edrick is leaving and we all know kick returns is a weakness of Tuala.

Wouldn't mind Best switching it up with Dom. I reckon Best would be a beast kick returner.

PhilGould

Bench
Ran strong as always today but not a great day at the office. Bombed at least 1 try, maybe 2, and the missed tackle on Cotric was under 12’s level.

Apey

Staff member
Probably just about my favourite player on the team. He's still raw but he has a lot of upside.

How long do we have him for/what year is he going to replace Tupou at the Roosters?

newyboy

Juniors
As for Gaggy mentoring him. Dom can't play for QLD, that's the only time these QLD'ers turn it on.

His defence was fine. Playing outside Tuala would make any winger look bad

What pissed me off was the cold pill drop though. Thought he was passed the dick fingers stuff