What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't sell Souths: legends

nqboy

First Grade
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18019929-23214,00.html

LEGENDARY South Sydney icons last night formed a united push to dump the controversial $3 million bid by Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe to buy the Rabbitohs.

In a move spearheaded by Souths saviour George Piggins, a cast of red and green greats and life members have signed a petition demanding the football club board call an extraordinary general meeting.

The extreme move has the support of retired stars John Sattler, Bob McCarthy and Ron Coote and is designed to quash the Holmes a Court takeover bid before the board can even vote on it.

"We didn't march down George St to be taken over by two people who should be private sponsors - not the owners of South Sydney football club," Piggins said. "Sport belongs to the people. Our football club has always belonged to the members and in the eyes of all these players from the Rabbitohs' greatest era, this is not the best thing for South Sydney football club."

Having learned of the resistance by the Rabbitohs icons, Holmes a Court's legal team Middletons put the multi-million-dollar bid on hold yesterday.

Middletons lawyer partner David Morris said in light of a push by Piggins to topple the football club board, the privatisation proposal was on hold.

In a whirlwind day for the Rabbitohs, chairman Nicholas Pappas cancelled a South Sydney board meeting scheduled last night as plans were made for a meeting with Holmes a Court today.

"It's disappointing there's been uninformed and premature comment about the proposal from sections of our supporters and stakeholders who really have little grasp of the proposal," Pappas said. "The reason I say uninformed is because the proposal hasn't even been made public yet." Rabbitohs icons are leading a push for the club to remain in the hands of members, as it has since 1908, and return to Redfern Oval.

Souths legends Sattler, McCarthy and Coote last night said they were supporting Piggins, including a bid by former Souths Juniors boss Henry Morris to oust chairman Pappas.

"I'm simply supporting George. He's a great Souths stalwart and I signed [the petition] for him," Coote said.

McCarthy added: "I don't believe in two people owning the club. I am supporting George 100 per cent."

To call an extraordinary general meeting the Rabbitohs must give members three weeks' notice.

Souths' AGM meeting is due in March but with an extraordinary general meeting it may be delayed further.

Holmes a Court's legal team yesterday claimed Piggins' comments in the past 24 hours in relation to the leadership of the South Sydney board had forced their proposal onto hold.
Holmes a Court and Pappas will meet this morning before Holmes a Court holds another press conference.

The legends' loyalty to their mate and tradition is laudable but it would be worth something if they could detail how they were going to keep Souths afloat, let alone return them to the glory days, in the future without going down the takeover path.

Once again, emotion getting in the way of common sense.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
on Skynews this morning, it was reported that Homes/Crowe have put their bid on hold indefinatley

they stopped short of saying it was withdrawn

Southernsaint

Staff member
LMAO - Souths and Saints are two clubs that really suffer from the "wheel out the legends" syndrome.

The players on the back page of today's Tele were great servants of South Sydney but the Rugby League they knew is not administered in the same way it is today. Their hearts might be in the right place but, IMO, their judgement is clouded by their freindship with / respect for George Piggins...

sheet_ed

Juniors
George is the man who brought Souths from the dead and will happily bury them again.

No wonder the team is losing and can't attract players.

Legends are great footballers, but like all "has beens" they think anyone gives a crap abount their opinion in commercial matters.

George, go away before you kill the last chance Souths ever had. It is about the team NOT YOU.

The Colonel

Immortal
If they looked at it outside of being a Souths man through and through they would see the sense in it. They whinge the don''t have money and when performances aren't mirroring what happened in the past but see an option to fix it and they bury their heads........

Good luck Bunnies, you may need it....

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
George believes he is South Sydeny and would kill them again before letting them go forward without him. The guy's deluded and I always thought of him as a hypocrite even back when he ws trying to get Souths back into the comp. Can't stand him and wish he'd leave our game for good.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bill Mordey said it best about Don King...."Don would rather rob you of a dollar than have you make 1000 for him"

This resembles Georgie boy. He would rather see the club sit in the bottom 3 than have the team compete in the top 3.

This club is going nowhere unless they wake up and realise it is 2006 and not 1966. League (sport in general) is all about business 1st 2nd and 3rd.

innsaneink

Referee
Well said Saab.....I like what Mcrae I think it was said several weeks ago, may have been Richardson.

Something along the lines of, "The tradition and history line at Souths gets trotted out too often, we have to create our own history with todays players, they werent even born when Souths last had a golden era."

Actually Im surprised George hasnt been bumped off by now.

Tom Shines

First Grade
I agree.
The sooner the Bunnies can get rid of this stoic no-merge, no-move, no-sell attitude and run a business and (hopefully) a successful football club, the better.

hadey

Juniors
Souths legends hahahaha.

Piggins yes men more like it. They are trotted out for interviews when George needs them.

As much as I loved Satts as a player i dont see him helping out the club in any way.

Didnt Coote leave Souths and isnt he on the board of the Roosters.

Bobby McCarthy also left Souths.

What do these "legends" do for Souths except give an interview when George wants them to.

Maybe if these so called "legends" had stayed and supported Souths in the past they would not be in the position they are today.

Dont come preaching to the supporters when you left the club for more money when Souths were going through rough times.

These are the supporters who marched and gave money and/or time for the cause when it was needed. The same supporters who George doesnt want to see the proposal. The supporters like me who have supported to club through the good times and the bad times.

Maybe it is time for Souths supporters to take a stand. Enough is enough George. Is a march the only way that we can show George that we the supporters have enough of the crap.

Retire to the farm George. Leave the running of the football club to Nick Pappas who has the respect and support of most of the members.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mr Saab said:
Bill Mordey said it best about Don King...."Don would rather rob you of a dollar than have you make 1000 for him"

This resembles Georgie boy. He would rather see the club sit in the bottom 3 than have the team compete in the top 3.

This club is going nowhere unless they wake up and realise it is 2006 and not 1966. League (sport in general) is all about business 1st 2nd and 3rd.

but than again "break even Bill" still made a decent living out of it himself.

Dakink

Bench
Poor Bunnies will never regain the old glory with the current approach.

It may not be until Piggins passes away that they can finally move forward (and No one wants that before time) - if there is still a club then.

I like the line "The tradition and history line at Souths gets trotted out too often, we have to create our own history with todays players, they werent even born when Souths last had a golden era."

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
I agree with Piggins and the former players. $3 million is far too small a price to sell off a hundred year old club, when the club, just as one part of its income, gets a grant of that amount from the NRL every year.

If it was to a highly professional set of owners who could guarantee success, maybe you could stomach it. But to an actor who every year does one insane thing or another, and a guy whose biggest achievement was picking a rich father, they'd just be trading one circus for another, while losing their tradition as the "people's club" which has helped keep them in the competition up to now.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Joes Milk Bar said:
I agree with Piggins and the former players. $3 million is far too small a price to sell off a hundred year old club, when the club, just as one part of its income, gets a grant of that amount from the NRL every year.

If it was to a highly professional set of owners who could guarantee success, maybe you could stomach it. But to an actor who every year does one insane thing or another, and a guy whose biggest achievement was picking a rich father, they'd just be trading one circus for another, while losing their tradition as the "people's club" which has helped keep them in the competition up to now.

yes, on the surface it seems like a small price however the overall benefits will far outweigh the negatives in the long term, it wouldn't matter if the club was sold for $2 the fact remains it'll be in the hands of a couple of people who will assure that the club will not only be around forever but will also assure that success on and off the field will be an absolute priority.

Think about it? Russell Crowe and Peter Holme-a-court 2 of the richest and most succesful people in this country, could it seriously be in better hands? seriously?