What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't sell Souths: legends

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Joes Milk Bar said:
I agree with Piggins and the former players. $3 million is far too small a price to sell off a hundred year old club, when the club, just as one part of its income, gets a grant of that amount from the NRL every year.

If it was to a highly professional set of owners who could guarantee success, maybe you could stomach it. But to an actor who every year does one insane thing or another, and a guy whose biggest achievement was picking a rich father, they'd just be trading one circus for another, while losing their tradition as the "people's club" which has helped keep them in the competition up to now.

Never seemed to hurt the Roosters.

I am sure the business community would certainly rather back the club and be associated with these 2 guys than a band of former footballers with limited business sense. If these guys have such a grand vision for the club, why not table it, put thier business plan into action , attract higher calibre players and return Souths to a more respectable outfit. (I certainly do respect and consider the guys mantioned RL legends so don't think for a minute I am bagging them, but that does not make them good business men or administrators)

However common sense has to prevail, these 2 guy's have very large pockets, a strong desire to see the club succeed and wanting to invest thier own hard earned seems to ensure they aim to see thier investment succeed. Souths have IMO nothing to lose and everything to gain, as I think a couple more seasons of residing at the bottom of the ladder might have the NRL questioning the viability of the club and I think if they get the arse again they will be lost for good! :?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Steelers4eva said:
Never seemed to hurt the Roosters.

I am sure the business community would certainly rather back the club and be associated with these 2 guys than a band of former footballers with limited business sense. If these guys have such a grand vision for the club, why not table it, put thier business plan into action , attract higher calibre players and return Souths to a more respectable outfit. (I certainly do respect and consider the guys mantioned RL legends so don't think for a minute I am bagging them, but that does not make them good business men or administrators)

However common sense has to prevail, these 2 guy's have very large pockets, a strong desire to see the club succeed and wanting to invest thier own hard earned seems to ensure they aim to see thier investment succeed. Souths have IMO nothing to lose and everything to gain, as I think a couple more seasons of residing at the bottom of the ladder might have the NRL questioning the viability of the club and I think if they get the arse again they will be lost for good! :?

you'll find that Piggins, Sattler and a few other have been very succesful in business outside the game, they know their stuff, however I agree, they shouldn't pass up this opportunity to be in the hands of those 2 blokes.

hrundi99

First Grade
There are plenty of "administrators" in league who don't have a lot of business sense.

If the business community (via PHaC) wants to get involved in a reasonable fashion, I'm all for it.

hrundi99

First Grade
eelavation said:
you'll find that Piggins, Sattler and a few other have been very succesful in business outside the game, they know their stuff, however I agree, they shouldn't pass up this opportunity to be in the hands of those 2 blokes.

They have, but they still see a football club as a football club, and not as a business as well. If you want it to be successful, you have to broaden your perspective, and it's something he's seemingly unwilling to do.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
eelavation said:

Yes I know as Eeelavation says 'George is successful' and has a fair whack of cash behind him, but $3 million just won't do the job. The 3 million purchase price is just the tip of the iceberg. If thats all it was going to take to return souths to the 'glory days' I am sure these guys (Piggins, Sattler etc) would have no trouble at all raising it. . IMO the estimated figures would more than likely be $10-20 million over a slightly longer term . It is going to take considerable amounts to attract the quality of player that will turn the club into a force. Its starting to look as if George is dirty he can't afford to do it himself and knows if these guy's step in and pour in the required $$$$ then George might be the 'forgotten hero'. One things for sure, they never know if they don't have a go!

Stagger eel

Staff member
hrundi99 said:
They have, but they still see a football club as a football club, and not as a business as well. If you want it to be successful, you have to broaden your perspective, and it's something he's seemingly unwilling to do.

no arguements about that...I think they still believe they're back in 1970-71.

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
eelavation said:
yes, on the surface it seems like a small price however the overall benefits will far outweigh the negatives in the long term, it wouldn't matter if the club was sold for $2 the fact remains it'll be in the hands of a couple of people who will assure that the club will not only be around forever but will also assure that success on and off the field will be an absolute priority.

Think about it? Russell Crowe and Peter Holme-a-court 2 of the richest and most succesful people in this country, could it seriously be in better hands? seriously?
Holmes a Court is not that rich or successful. He is reported to have got $35 million from the family company, though maybe there is more available to him in other ways. As for success, look at his role at AAC - http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/eddesk.nsf/All/FCECEEA124D6C329CA256E4C000B9774!open

Crowe has made plenty of money as a great actor. I don't know how much he's made from running a business though. None of the films he has directed have been very successful. And every time Crowe is involved in a scandal, Souths would be dragged down with him.

Obviously both are nothing to be scoffed at, but I also don't believe they are the messiahs some make them out to be.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Joes Milk Bar said:
Holmes a Court is not that rich or successful. He is reported to have got $35 million from the family company, though maybe there is more available to him in other ways. As for success, look at his role at AAC - http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/eddesk.nsf/All/FCECEEA124D6C329CA256E4C000B9774!open

Crowe has made plenty of money as a great actor. I don't know how much he's made from running a business though. None of the films he has directed have been very successful. And every time Crowe is involved in a scandal, Souths would be dragged down with him.

Obviously both are nothing to be scoffed at, but I also don't believe they are the messiahs some make them out to be.

ok, point taken, but would you agree that they are without a better option than their current situation, a club runned by political factions with an ongoing question mark on their financial position.

they need a clean out from that crap, start fresh with these blokes they have nothing to lose. and alot to gain from it.

Seano

Juniors
I dont think the $3 million one off value is all that important. I think its more the fact that for a change the money will be in the hands of people who actually know how to create revenue from this money.

PHAC has said that the value of the money is not that important, more that the club should be able to generate decent revenue from this cash if invested properly!

Rather than pumping it into some failed white elephant of a leagues club!

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
eelavation said:
ok, point taken, but would you agree that they are without a better option than their current situation, a club runned by political factions with an ongoing question mark on their financial position.

they need a clean out from that crap, start fresh with these blokes they have nothing to lose. and alot to gain from it.
You might well be right, but 20 years ago this year Cronulla nearly sold themselves off to a high-flying type in Edelsten. Obviously Crowe etc have conducted themselves with more decorum than Edelsten, and have more finances and experience. But it was a case where the board got carried away, thinking there was only one option (and we were in a far worse state than Souths). I imagine some of the club stalwarts at the time would have been derided as traditionalists for opposing the move. 20 years on and we are still kicking, yes with no premiership success, but the team has had the opportunities, and we still belong to the community. We can look back at the Edelsten episode and laugh, I hope the Rabbitohs can do the same in 20 years.

Anyway I better agree to disagree and get back to work :)

I really feel for Souths fans. It's been a long time since they last were truly competitive (89), they were kicked out of the comp, then get back into the comp - only to look like (stealing a line from Days of Thunder) "a monkey f#cking a football" ever since. Its dead-set embarrassing.

I was listening to 2GB last night and a souths fan called up and was getting stuck into Piggins, but said that Since George started running the club (1990) souths have done nothing ever since. I wasn't aware of the timing of George's involvement, but that's gotta speak volumes for the management skill of the man. Yes, he got the club back in the comp and well done to him for it. But its obvious nothing else he has done has worked. Being a club stalwart doesn't make you a great manager. He's the prime example.

Souths deserve better than this. Piggins is an anchor.

macavity

Referee
Will Souths ever be successful owned by the community of Redfern and playing games in the community of Homebush...?

Under Piggins' thumb?

With the current in-fighting?

wittyfan

Referee
Joes Milk Bar said:
You might well be right, but 20 years ago this year Cronulla nearly sold themselves off to a high-flying type in Edelsten.

Hopefully the club won't sell it's soul off to a sugar daddy ever!

forward pass

Coach
Souths have always and will always be the most political football club in the comp. Everything that club does revolves around politics. I get sick of hearing about it so I can only imagine what Souths fans think.

It is a real shame - they are (should be) a great club with a proud history and large supporter base and the fans deserve better.

hadey

Juniors
I know who i want to see running Souths and its certainly not George.

Peter and Russell are in for the long haul IMO.

They have been putting some of their dollars into Souths already via the
young bucks program.

They are successful people who have good people working for them. I cant see them making this proposal if they didnt think it viable and if they werent committed to working hard to make Souths a force again.

Peter has made himself available by phone and email to the members. Any questions we have are being answered by him. He has openly admitted that he would like to eventually make a profit but knows it wont happen overnight. Souths are still marketable and if the $$$ are invested wisely and the right people running the football club we will be a force again.

Eventually all teams will be privatised and i would like to see them owned by someone who is a passionate supporter and not someone who is only in it for the $$$$.

buster bunny

Juniors
Anytime Sattler opens his mouth on whats best for Souths I cringe. This is the same guy who said Souths had to move to the Central Coast at the same the time he was trying to push the Gold Coast bid. Now that the Gold Coast have been selected he all of a sudden thinks Souths should not be privatised and play at Redfern oval. :roll: