What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

doogs angry at aku?

League_God

Juniors
i love the dog, but what the eff? sure he is trying to break a record, so is aku. its doogs' fault he didnt get there quicker. aku is also trying to break a tryscoring record.
what do ya'll have to say on the topic?

roopy

Referee
They should settle it with a footrace - the quickest gets to score the try.
Oh wait - they did that - and Aku gave him a head start.

perverse

Referee
Doogs would have been a bit sour probably. bit of a nothing event, though. i'm sure they've had a laugh about it since, and i'm sure Doogs has already copped a bit about it from teammates in jest already too.

Yosh

Coach
Maddog had a mad head start but the ball was always rolling away from him. Aku looked destined to score that hattrick try. I think we should give Maddog the assist for that try though because I swear it touched his fingers before Aku stole it from him!

Apey

Staff member
Doogs knew that his best chance of scoring again this year..

andrew057

First Grade
Saw Doogs on the news saying he was only angry because he was carrying a niggle(whats new) into the game and Aku reinjured it when they bumped scoring the try.

From the replays its an absolute cop out, the contact was minimal and Doogs was carrying on like a merkin.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Was Mad Dog really having a cry about it? He looked a bit put out when Uate 'stole' the try, but as others have said, it was always moving away from him and it's not Uate's fault that he's a more complete finisher.

Really, this kind of carry on isn't in Mad Dog's best interests. The club are never going to favor a guy on his way out over the in form winger and NRL top try scorer.

Serc

First Grade
'Best mates' did not fight over try

784141-akuila-uate.jpg

Don't mind me...Akuila Uate grabs the ball in front of teammate Adam MacDougall to score his third try of the night against Manly. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

VETERAN Newcastle centre Adam MacDougall has denied suggestions of a rift with wing sensation Aku Uate after the Fijian flyer snatched a try from his grasp during Monday night's win over Manly.

MacDougall reacted angrily after Uate swooped late to beat him to a Kurt Gidley kick into the Eagles' in-goal area late in the first half. The try gave the home side a 22-4 lead and Uate a first-half hat-trick.
As teammates swamped Uate in celebration, MacDougall appeared anything but happy.
Fox Sports commentators criticised MacDougall and yesterday some league fans labelled him greedy.
It was suggested MacDougall may have been furious with Uate for denying him a try that would have taken "Mad Dog" to within a four-pointer of equalling the club's record of 82, which is held by Eels centre Timana Tahu.
But MacDougall said he was reacting to an injury he picked up as the try was scored.
"I can't believe there are people bagging me over what happened when they don't know the true story," MacDougall said.
"Aku and me are best mates. The reason I wasn't happy after he scored was because I injured my hamstring as we fell over the line.
"I was blowing up at getting injured, not at him. It had nothing to do with him beating me to the ball and costing me a try.
"I couldn't care less about the try-scoring record."
Uate backed up MacDougall.
"It had nothing to do with me scoring ahead of him," Uate said. "Doogs has set me up for heaps of tries. He's one of my closest mates.
"He's always there for me and helping me.
"I said sorry to him because I thought I might have caused him to get hurt, not because I scored and he didn't.
"He was feeling his hammy and had it strapped when we went off for halftime."
Replays show MacDougall falling awkwardly over the top of Uate after the winger reached Gidley's kick first and touched down.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-fight-over-try/story-e6frexnr-1225900801406

shane1970

Juniors
Well if this 'injury' report is correct I guess it will give some 'weight' to 'Tampon' Macdougall missing this weeks game!

Johns Magic

Referee
Doogs would have been a bit sour probably. bit of a nothing event, though. i'm sure they've had a laugh about it since, and i'm sure Doogs has already copped a bit about it from teammates in jest already too.

Exactly what I was going to say, this stuff happens in a footy team in the heat of the moment.

Doogs would have apologised after the game, after he'd had a bit of time to think about it in perspective, and he probably would have made a bit of a joke about it.

gUt

Coach
He definitely looked cut, and Uate did shark him but that's tough titties. Doogs playing for a contract etc etc probably needed the try.

Johns Magic

Referee
nospam29: Trying times as Doogs and Aku close in on Tahu’s record hauls

BY BRETT KEEBLE
04 Aug, 2010 04:00 AM

THE old bull and young bull of the Newcastle backline are grazing together again in the same paddock.
Adam MacDougall, once described by former Knights coach Brian Smith as the Peter Pan of the NRL, turned grumpy old man on Monday night when right-edge wing man Aku Uate stole a try from under his nose in Newcastle’s 32-14 victory over Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Mad Dog was rabid; foaming at the mouth that the young whippersnapper – almost 13 years his junior – snaffled up a ‘‘meat pie’’ that would have taken him within one of Timana Tahu’s all-time Knights try-scoring record of 82.
In 11 seasons with the Knights, 35-year-old MacDougall has scored 80 tries – equal with Andrew Johns to be second behind Tahu, who took just six seasons to compile his high watermark.

Uate, 22, was blissfully unaware of that statistic when he beat MacDougall and the Manly defenders to touch down Kurt Gidley’s deft grubber kick four minutes before half-time.
That gave Uate his second first-half hat-trick, and third treble, this season, and took his NRL-best try-scoring tally to 20.
That took the Fijian flyer one short of Tahu’s single-season Knights record of 21 tries, set in 2002.

He side-stepped a hungry media pack after the team’s recovery session at Mayfield yesterday but coach Rick Stone said Uate and MacDougall laughed about the apparent disagreement at the team’s video review.

‘‘They’re all right. I think that was just a little bit of banter from Doogy,’’ Stone explained.
‘‘I think when the ball’s bouncing around in the in-goal, it’s anyone’s. Whoever gets there first gets the try. I don’t think it matters who scores the try; it’s a team thing.
‘‘I think Doogy said he was smoking a cigar waiting to put it down but it took a little off-break and Aku said, ‘Well, that’ll do me, that’s mine,’ and good luck to him.’’

MacDougall explained in a television interview that he aggravated a knee injury when Uate, who would ‘‘push his Mum out of the way to score a try’’, crashed past him to score.
‘‘He knew he hurt me as soon as he hit me ... he’s got a big backside, Aku – it’s nearly as big as Wendell Sailor’s,’’ MacDougall told Channel 10.

‘‘The last thing on my mind is that [Tahu’s record]. When you run out on the field, it’s all about winning and doing your best. At the end of the day as a centre, it’s my job to let my winger score tries, and I think I’m doing a pretty good job.
‘‘We’re great mates, and he’s feeling a little bit bad that he hurt me, but it’s not his fault.’’

But let’s not let that spoil the story.
‘‘He’s still filthy, Mad Dog. I think he’s only a couple of tries off holding the club record so I think that’s what he’s most filthy about,’’ playmaker Jarrod Mullen laughed.

Mullen reckons Uate’s best is yet to come.
‘‘The scary thing is he’s still learning, and he’s still got a lot of improvement in him and he’s going to get a lot bigger and stronger,’’ Mullen said.
Prop Dan Tolar, who has missed two games with a corked thigh, was included in an otherwise unchanged 19-man squad for the game against the Bulldogs at EAS on Sunday. Stone named Tolar to start, dropping Antonio Kaufusi to a six-man bench alongside Wes Naiqama, Joel Edwards, Richie Fa’aoso, Mark Taufua and Cameron Ciraldo.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...n-tahus-record-hauls/1903100.aspx?storypage=0

ClintDogg

Juniors
Aku was out of control. Doing too much.

It was Mad dogs try.

Aku over stepped the mark as a "rookie" and stole the try. I would of dropped him 2 reserve grade 4 a week or 2 4 this.

Yosh

Coach
Aku was out of control. Doing too much.

It was Mad dogs try.

Aku over stepped the mark as a "rookie" and stole the try. I would of dropped him 2 reserve grade 4 a week or 2 4 this.

Wah? Have you ever played rugby league mate? Infact any sport? What's all this rookie business and stealing. He stole nothing, his instincts scored that try. Could have been a tiger instead of Maddog and Aku still would have scored!

Your post is classic though, reminds me of my younger self, 3000 or so posts ago:)