What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Standards Hasler on Gallop

Drax

Juniors
I was thinking just earlier today that i thought Gallop handled Carney very well and with what Gallop has Carney working with sounds great to me.

And Gallop should bloody well slap a fine onto Hasler for coming out and making comments agaisnt the CEO.

Dutchy

Immortal
Does Des have to be reminded that Watmough was done for DUI and was not banned?

It wasn't DUI you sped.

This is seriously sad. Every time an incident happens, someone out Brookvale way is having a cry about the punishment and referring back to Stewart. Seriously... he's free, move on.

Because there is a double standard there, push bias aside dude, you're a self confessed Manly hater to the core.

Danish

Referee
Because there is a double standard there, push bias aside dude, you're a self confessed Manly hater to the core.

were you sooking about double standards when the NRL didnt suspend watmough after his 2009 season launch antics?

how bout when Tony Williams didnt get suspended for his DUI after Jake Friend got 2 weeks for his?

Last edited:

Garts

Bench
Des Hasler, Manly fans who agree with him.... SHUT THE f**k UP.

This is seriously sad. Every time an incident happens, someone out Brookvale way is having a cry about the punishment and referring back to Stewart. Seriously... he's free, move on.

Raiders fans, Carney had numerous chances at your club - this is his first major stuff up with the tricolours and it's still very minor by comparison to his indiscretions in Canberra. Bitter doesn't even begin to cover it.

I don't like the Roosters and I think Carney's a wanker, but I'm sick of the stupid reactions that come out of some parts.

If it was Patten or Hornby who are both clean skins in Stewarts shoes I can only imagine the reaction from you. When it comes to Manly you only see things one way.

Garts

Bench
were you sooking about double standards when the NRL didnt suspend watmough after his 2010 season launch antics?

how bout when Tony Williams didnt get suspended for his DUI after Jake Friend got 2 weeks for his?

The issue from my point of view is prior form. Carney has it. To be honest after our 09 launch Watmough deserved to be suspended before Stewart as he has a record of being a dick. Stewart didn't. Do I think Carney deserved a suspension after this last incident? No, but surely you can see how manly fans are a little miffed.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Looking at the bigger picture, imagine the headlines if the Dally M player of the year was suspended for 4 weeks.

Stewart's punishment was a knee jerk reaction, we all know it and in hindsight id say David Gallop knows it too. The fact that the game didn't make the same mistake twice is a good thing.

Try and keep things in perspective you idiots out there.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Go hard, Des.

Stewart copped the brunt of every other playing cocking up and nobody has copped the pasting he did from the NRL since, plenty of reason to whinge, and the whinges will keep coming until Gallop decides to get on high horse again, which he won't, because the Stewart case made him look like a silly merkin and he knows it.

Everyone has double standards, the media, the clubs, the NRL, the fans.

How do you fix it? An independent tribunal? No way that would happen.

The clubs would hate it because they couldn't favour their top players.

The NRL wouldn't want it, that would be openly admitting the game has stooped to a level where we need this sort of solution, brings more attention to something they would rather hide from. Imagine the media coverage, like the judiciary hearings magnified x100. No thank you, says Mr Gallop.

Now to Carney, sure this incident wasn't so huge if you look at it as a one off and magically forget every other f**k up, just because he changed clubs doesn't give him a clean slate. How long did he have his licence back for? The guy is an intellectual midget, lucky he can play footy, same can be said for Watmough.

Danish

Referee
The issue from my point of view is prior form. Carney has it. To be honest after our 09 launch Watmough deserved to be suspended before Stewart as he has a record of being a dick. Stewart didn't. Do I think Carney deserved a suspension after this last incident? No, but surely you can see how manly fans are a little miffed.

No, I cant.

We had a player suspended for a first offence DUI (jake friend) in 2009 as well - which was also the wrong decision. The NRL went haywire in those couple of months, threatening suspensions left right and centre, culminating in the forcing out of the game of Brett Seymour for, shock horror, being drunk in public (crime of the century you'll agree)

After that period of madness settled down we've had numerous incidents since, all low level drinking stuff, and the NRL has rightfully kept their noses out of it. the only player whose copped a stint on the sidelines since was Nate Myles.... but that was thoroughly, THOROUGHLY deserved.

Sure, our clubs and the sharks got stooged in 09 with a couple blokes being suspended and one being forced out, but personally I am happier that the NRL decided not to continue down the bullsh*t road of getting personally involved in any and all behavioural issues and are now rightfully leaving it for clubs to handle in house.

Garts

Bench
I agree 100% Danish but I also can see why others are pissed with the decision. Also with Friend, i forgot that was that his first. I remember him being in trouble a few times but can't recall the 1st time.

Eion

First Grade
No, I cant.

We had a player suspended for a first offence DUI (jake friend) in 2009 as well - which was also the wrong decision. The NRL went haywire in those couple of months, threatening suspensions left right and centre, culminating in the forcing out of the game of Brett Seymour for, shock horror, being drunk in public (crime of the century you'll agree)

After that period of madness settled down we've had numerous incidents since, all low level drinking stuff, and the NRL has rightfully kept their noses out of it. the only player whose copped a stint on the sidelines since was Nate Myles.... but that was thoroughly, THOROUGHLY deserved.

Sure, our clubs and the sharks got stooged in 09 with a couple blokes being suspended and one being forced out, but personally I am happier that the NRL decided not to continue down the bullsh*t road of getting personally involved in any and all behavioural issues and are now rightfully leaving it for clubs to handle in house.
Great post Danish. I have the sh*ts because no other club was held to account during the period of madness you refer to more than the sharks and we're still paying for it to a degree. I'll confess there is a miserable part of me that wants every club to suffer the same fate from a fairness point of view.

But if this is the new NRL 'consistent stance' then I suppose I'm OK with that. We'll see if it holds true when a club / player with less influence is on the line and media pressure is on.

Danish

Referee
I agree 100% Danish but I also can see why others are pissed with the decision. Also with Friend, i forgot that was that his first. I remember him being in trouble a few times but can't recall the 1st time.

He and Sandor Earl got into that fight in the city but were cleared by the police, and then he fell asleep drunk in a taxi at the start of 2010 and was sat out for 6 months by the Roosters.

But yeah the DUI was his first offence.

Raiders fans, Carney had numerous chances at your club - this is his first major stuff up with the tricolours and it's still very minor by comparison to his indiscretions in Canberra. Bitter doesn't even begin to cover it.

I don't like the Roosters and I think Carney's a wanker, but I'm sick of the stupid reactions that come out of some parts.

That's kind of the point you moron, he's already had numerous chances, just because he's now a rorter doesn't give him a get out of jail free card, his history of driving and alcohol related incidents and he gets a slap on the wrist, the sooner that numpty gallop is out the better.

Merdy33

Juniors
Lets compare apples to apples. Gallop has repeatedly claimed that Stewart was not suspended because of the sexual assault allegations. He was suspended for being drunk and bringing the game into disrepute. The facts are that he was accused of drinking too much. He was asked to leave, and did so without incident. He left in a cab. It was for these actions that Gallop claimed he was suspended. What happened after that (according to Gallop) had nothing to do with his punishment.
Now, do you all understand that? I'll repeat it for those who are slow on the uptake. Stewart (a cleanskin at the time) was suspended for being asked to leave a pub, which he did, and getting into a cab.
Now repeat offender Carney (who I actually don't mind) received a far lesser punishment for DUI. And people think this doesn't deserve to be challenged?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Lets compare apples to apples. Gallop has repeatedly claimed that Stewart was not suspended because of the sexual assault allegations. He was suspended for being drunk and bringing the game into disrepute. The facts are that he was accused of drinking too much. He was asked to leave, and did so without incident. He left in a cab. It was for these actions that Gallop claimed he was suspended. What happened after that (according to Gallop) had nothing to do with his punishment.
Now, do you all understand that? I'll repeat it for those who are slow on the uptake. Stewart (a cleanskin at the time) was suspended for being asked to leave a pub, which he did, and getting into a cab.
Now repeat offender Carney (who I actually don't mind) received a far lesser punishment for DUI. And people think this doesn't deserve to be challenged?

FFS. No one thinks what happened to Stewart was right. Get over it.

skeepe

Immortal

f**k off idiot. The only Raiders fan who had posted thus far in this thread was Dazraider, and he's a f**king numbskull.

I personally think the Carney thing's hilarious. It's actually his third or fourth with the Roosters, after 37 or so in Canberra. But you know what they say, 40th time's the charm...

Merdy33

Juniors
FFS. No one thinks what happened to Stewart was right. Get over it.

Me? Personally I am over it - the minute he was found not guilty of the sexual assault allegations I moved on.

However I'm more defending Hasler's comments as he has obviously been personally affected by the way an apparently decent person was crucified.

And I think you're wrong. There are a few ignorant tools on here who have no problem with Stewart's suspension and they need to be educated.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Me? Personally I am over it - the minute he was found not guilty of the sexual assault allegations I moved on.

However I'm more defending Hasler's comments as he has obviously been personally affected by the way an apparently decent person was crucified.

And I think you're wrong. There are a few ignorant tools on here who have no problem with Stewart's suspension and they need to be educated.

Hasler clearly doesn't have a grasp on things and has an axe to grind if thats the case.

And if your issue is for the few that think Stewart deserved his punishment, your taking it up with a small minority. Get used to it, this is going to happen again and again. Are you going to take offence the next player that doesn't get suspended or will you just let it go that the NRL made a mistake with Stewart?

My advice, get over it now because situations like this will happen again.

Latest posts