What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doust wants JMoz in the Red V

Slippery Morris

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-morris-back-in-the-red-v-20130516-2jpdo.html

Doust wants Morris back in the Red V

Date - May 16, 2013 SIN BIN

_20130516195405666507-620x349.jpg
Proposed reunion: Brett and Josh Morris after the Dragons' grand final win in 2010. Photo: David Tease

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust has confirmed the club still hopes to reunite the Morris twins and revealed the reason Josh left was because Wayne Bennett didn’t think he would become a regular first-grader.
Morris, whose brother Brett plays for St George Illawarra, joined the Bulldogs in 2009 – the season Bennett arrived at the club – and Doust said he believed the NSW Origin centre’s career would be confined to the wing.
‘‘At that particular time Wayne was the coach and he believed that Josh wasn’t going to be a regular first-grader,’’ Doust told Fairfax Media’s John Stanley in an interview on dragons.com.au.
‘‘That was just his determination at the time, based on the price that management of that player wanted and what we wanted to fit into a very complicated cap at the time – because we were bringing in players to give ourselves the best chance of on-field performance.
Advertisement
There was argument about whether he would play centre or not. Wayne just reckoned he was a winger and wouldn’t pay that sort of money for him.’’
Doust stressed he was talking as a fan rather than the CEO but the fact he discussed the possibility of Morris returning in an interview posted on the club’s website leaves little doubt the Dragons will make a big play for him when he comes off contract next season.
‘‘I don’t like to speculate but I am a traditionalist when it comes to the values of the Dragons and why wouldn’t one as a supporter and a fan and a member like me want to see something like that as an outcome for us in the longer term?’’ he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...n-the-red-v-20130516-2jpdo.html#ixzz2TVyo7wiE

Twenty10

Juniors
A bit of a fluffy story, as in Doust did not declare anything but rather responded to questioning.
It would complete our story though.

This story has been plucked out of the Dragons website and is not a new piece of news.
I watched the same Doust video earlier in the week or late last week.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
C'Mon Dousty make it happen. Can't believe that Wayne Bennett didn't want him?

Goes to show that even the best coaches can make bad judgements.

Minh

First Grade
At no point in time in that interview did Doust say that we are making a play for Josh.

Mr Red

First Grade
Nothing story.

Bennett also said Matt Ballin wouldn't make first grade. Now he's Queensland number 2 hooker.

if you had cooper and gasnier as your centre combination in 2009 then yes it would be correct to say that you didnt think Josh would play regular first grade..
so he went elsewhere looking for an opportunity....

any coach would have said the same thing..

Mr Red

First Grade
C'Mon Dousty make it happen. Can't believe that Wayne Bennett didn't want him?

Goes to show that even the best coaches can make bad judgements.

he didnt say he didnt want him, he said he didnt think he would play much first grade.. and thus from a salary cap point of view wasnt prepared to match the bulldogs offer. there's a big difference.

if you had to pick 2 centres from Cooper, Morris and Gasnier back in 2009 i think Morris would be third choice at the time for most coaches..

From memory Beau Scott and Cooper were our centres in 2009, then Gasnier returned from France in mid 2010.....

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
From memory Beau Scott and Cooper were our centres in 2009, then Gasnier returned from France in mid 2010.....

Morris signed with the Bulldogs in 2008 for the 2009 season, before Gas announced he was moving on.

Edit: beat me to it watatank!

Last edited:
Ah yes sorry guys
So if Gaz had shown his hand earlier our centres for 09 would have been JMoz and Coops?
JMoz was untried in the centres for us but had played some wing and fullback I think....

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
Great in theory, but if we re-sign Dugan (you would think we would) then where does he fit into the team for next year?

1. Dugan 2. B. Morris 3. Beale 4. Farell 5. Nightingale 6. Widdop 7. Drinkwater.

I would've like to have seen him back to but I think both parties have moved on.

Mr Red

First Grade
Surely there's some way for Slippery and Mr Red to bag Price for this.

LOL... no... not even the chinless one could get blame here.
no one is to blame, its the salary cap doing what it was designed to do, and share the player talent across all teams..simple as that..

dwight12

Juniors
Great in theory, but if we re-sign Dugan (you would think we would) then where does he fit into the team for next year?

1. Dugan 2. B. Morris 3. Beale 4. Farell 5. Nightingale 6. Widdop 7. Drinkwater.

I would've like to have seen him back to but I think both parties have moved on.

He would slot straight into the centres.

1. Dugan 2. B. Morris 3. J.Morris 4. Farell/Beale 5. Nightingale 6. Farell/Beale 7. Widdop.

Or, Farell is kept as injury cover, and you can still play Widdop and Drinkwater in the Halves. That's even if Drinkwater is ready.

Latest posts