What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons 16 Premierships .

Trifili13

Juniors
Cronulla Should be embarrassed only winning 1 comp, so the dogs of war means nothing, Sea Eagles means nothing, buzz rudderless is such an idiot, 11 in a Row, eat shit!
Would love to have seen the Penrith players try some of their stuff against the dogs of war in the 80s like the Penrith player that dragged the Raiders player in a couple of years ago after they scored in the corner. Cement Gillespie, Tunks, Robinson, Johnstone, Folkes and the Mortimer brothers would wipe the floor with them. And that's before Lamb stepped in. Different era and not advocating violence but players know these days they are fairly well protected so you can niggle and know you won't get fixed up at the next scrum or tackle.

56to66

Juniors
Would love to have seen the Penrith players try some of their stuff against the dogs of war in the 80s like the Penrith player that dragged the Raiders player in a couple of years ago after they scored in the corner. Cement Gillespie, Tunks, Robinson, Johnstone, Folkes and the Mortimer brothers would wipe the floor with them. And that's before Lamb stepped in. Different era and not advocating violence but players know these days they are fairly well protected so you can niggle and know you won't get fixed up at the next scrum or tackle.
Yes very protected, I would have made the NRL in today's game, Buzz would have lasted 2 seconds in my footy world, i don't understand where these guys have the audacity to judge when they would cry in the heat of the battle.
T Lamb smashing Ellery Hanley, Dogs win the 1988 GF, just imagine in todays game, with the bunker, T Lamb gets sent off, Dogs play with 12 men, the Tigers wins the 1988 GF.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Freddy said he was threatened to be hurt badly when he just made 1st grade for Panthers. Still at high school. Just a kid. It was against Balmain tiger's. Freddy side stepped a tiger's forward . But made accidental rough contact with the Forward. The tiger got in Freddy face and told. Shouted at him. Do that again and I will ffing kill you. His eyes were in a rage. That's when Freddy knew. You get what you expect
And expect what you get 😄

Walpole

Juniors
Freddy said he was threatened to be hurt badly when he just made 1st grade for Panthers. Still at high school. Just a kid. It was against Balmain tiger's. Freddy side stepped a tiger's forward . But made accidental rough contact with the Forward. The tiger got in Freddy face and told. Shouted at him. Do that again and I will ffing kill you. His eyes were in a rage. That's when Freddy knew. You get what you expect
And expect what you get 😄
Couldn't have been Blocker, he would have just punched Freddy in the head.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Different Eras. Buzz would say anything to overshadow any Saints success.

One huge advantage that Penrith have is they are fulltime footballers compared to the part timers of the other eras. That is a huge difference. Imagine the Rapers, Langlands, Sterlo, Kenny's training all week and not working? As for the great Saints team they had to change the rules to give the others a chance to win a comp. All sporting codes around the world marvel at how impressive that is except for the NRL unfortunately as per Buzz's quote.

I will give it to Penrith and Ivan Cleary for this, with Bennett and Bellamy being paraded as one of the best ever coaches in the modern game , those 2 never did a 3 peat. Robbo came closest and he is my 2nd best behind Cleary based on this logic. Robbo's team finished 4th in their 3rd year only to lose to Penrith in 2020 by a field goal in finals (Kyle Flanno was in that game mind you as Cronk retired). We all saw how Panthers have gone since then. They ended Robbo's great run at the end of the day not a team that won a comp and not one after that. .

I honestly think this Penrith team would beat any of Bennett's Bronco's teams that won 2 and Bellamy's Storm teams that had GF wins. The media really underestimate how good a job Cleary has done. He has built a system that will be dominant for years no matter how many players get taken off them each year. He lost a key spine player in Korosai and their best edge backrower in Kikau and still won a comp. Next year he loses his best centre.

RedVee_8

Juniors
At least big Gordie stood up and said you can't compare eras. I get that we now have a salary cap (in name only) but you can't just say that Penrith are a better team than the Eels of the early 80s or Dragon's of the 50s and 60s just because we now have a salary cap. Everyone had the same rules in the previous eras so why didn't they achieve what the Eels and Dragon's did?

Some of the older formites might know but wasn't there a residency criteria or import rule in the old days so you couldn't just buy a team, although I am sure there were ways to get around it like the current day salary cap.
Various schemes, but in the olden pre 70s days it was a residential rule. The players had to live in the district, with some sort of qualification period before being allowed to play with the new club.
I only know by reading, I’m not that old!

Also the club you played for had to approve you leaving to the new team even if your contract had expired. That’s what the Dennis Tutty case was about. Free agency for the players.

Trifili13

Juniors
Various schemes, but in the olden pre 70s days it was a residential rule. The players had to live in the district, with some sort of qualification period before being allowed to play with the new club.

Also the club you played for had to approve you leaving to the new team even if your contract had expired. That’s what the Dennis Tutty case was about. Free agency for the players.
Thanks for that. I knew there were some rules, which could be bent or gotten around "legally" like the salary cap today.

As Gordie said on NRL 360, you can't compare different eras when rules and diets were different, players had jobs. Just need to acknowledge that the Panthers are reaping the benefits of being an excellently run club and no need to compare them to teams that came 40 or 60 years before them like Buzz the 'insert expletive of your choice'.

blue bags

First Grade

Raper was playing for Newtown Bluebags before Dragons

saintzrule

Juniors
Interesting side take, Bayern Munich, a soccer team that plays in the Germany comp (not a Mickey Mouse comp like the A-League) have won 11 straight and are presently going for number 12 (they are running 3rd at the moment after six games).
They will not win it this year

getsmarty

Immortal

One huge advantage that Penrith have is they are fulltime footballers compared to the part timers of the other eras. That is a huge difference. Imagine the Rapers, Langlands, Sterlo, Kenny's training all week and not working? As for the great Saints team they had to change the rules to give the others a chance to win a comp. All sporting codes around the world marvel at how impressive that is except for the NRL unfortunately as per Buzz's quote.

I will give it to Penrith and Ivan Cleary for this, with Bennett and Bellamy being paraded as one of the best ever coaches in the modern game , those 2 never did a 3 peat. Robbo came closest and he is my 2nd best behind Cleary based on this logic. Robbo's team finished 4th in their 3rd year only to lose to Penrith in 2020 by a field goal in finals (Kyle Flanno was in that game mind you as Cronk retired). We all saw how Panthers have gone since then. They ended Robbo's great run at the end of the day not a team that won a comp and not one after that. .

I honestly think this Penrith team would beat any of Bennett's Bronco's teams that won 2 and Bellamy's Storm teams that had GF wins. The media really underestimate how good a job Cleary has done. He has built a system that will be dominant for years no matter how many players get taken off them each year. He lost a key spine player in Korosai and their best edge backrower in Kikau and still won a comp. Next year he loses his best centre.

Well said.

RedVee_8

Juniors
They were living in St George area ?
Were eligible for Dragons ?
Must have moved 😊

I don’t know sorry, but there were frequent complaints over this player or that player. EG. Frank Hyde was forced to change clubs when he was found to be living out of area.
When we came in for 1921 ‘Rickety’ Johnston had to come over to St George (from Newtown as it happens though I thought I had read that there was a debate with Souths) as he lived in the area. He became our first International player.

Mojo

Bench
I was fortunate to live in Kogarah through the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Everyone in the area at the time avidly supported the Dragons. The footy side genuinely represented the area. I’m seeing the same passionate community connection at Penrith now. That’s what makes them winners. If any ‘modern era’ footy side is going to challenge the Dragon’s record it will be Penrith. This is THE magic ingredient. RL is a local, representative competition. Penrith get it. Hopefully the NRL will wake up to it too.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
They were living in St George area ?
Were eligible for Dragons ?
No idea what the rules were or when they changed, but in the late 60's I was living in Bestic St Rockdale, very much part of the St George district. At the same time John Sattler lived about 6 houses up the street and was captaining South Sydney.

A bit later on they brought in the 13 import rule, where a club could import no more than 13 players from elsewhere. i remember going to a St George vs Manly game. Dragons had 4 or 5 imports playing that day in first grade. Manly had 12 imports out of their 13. Don't remember the year but Manly won on the day. Typical Manly, always trying to buy their way to victory.

justadragon

Bench

It all boils down to pathways Slip, they have the best pathway system in the comp, as we should aspire to have.

justadragon

Bench
I dont begrudge any team having the success they deserve unless you have cheated of course. Penrith got the right people in to turn their club right round. As far as I'm concerned they just show how inept the way the Dragons have been run over the last 10-13 years. With a brand name like we have a juniors nursery like we have and especially a fan base like we have, the Dragons should have been a constant top 4 club, instead we have been vying for the wooden spoon, and didnt even have one team represent this club in finals, that being a case in point on its own. I dont want to hear anymore bullshit excuses, I want results, I'm sick of watching other clubs smashing us in every grade, it shouldnt happen. If Flanno doesn't fix this and fix it quickly we will be well and truly screwed. Juniors are our future no use banging on about marquee players, A. Marquee players dont want to come to the Dragons, unless its for money and nothing else B. We already have a Marquee player, do we really want another one of the same ilk !!!

John moz

Juniors
The illawarra will be removed from st george dragons in the next 2 years . The illawarra split has not held its promise on paying back 16 million to the st george side .It is holding the brand back with illawarra having no history or benefits.
The football club needs to be 1 again with the st george dragons

Latest posts