What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons are already winners to Bennett

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
awww...

it's like the parent cuddling the crying fat kid after they lose a foot race..

'it's okay, you will always be a winner in my eyes'..

get off the cake, dragons, and win the race of your own accord.

okay.. joking there.. this year is far and away above what i expected.. i always thought next year would be 'our year'..

win or lose this weekend (or over the next two weekends) the performances that the boys have put in this year has made me proud..

i love watching the game each week, and don't think watching league has been this fun since at least 05-06 :)

TheRev

First Grade
I think Bennett is taking pressure off the team, changing the perspective... we have been talked up in the media week after week (much to our annoyance), but this time were overdue to come in as underdogs.

big pat

Coach
awww...

it's like the parent cuddling the crying fat kid after they lose a foot race..

'it's okay, you will always be a winner in my eyes'..

get off the cake, dragons, and win the race of your own accord.

okay.. joking there.. this year is far and away above what i expected.. i always thought next year would be 'our year'..

win or lose this weekend (or over the next two weekends) the performances that the boys have put in this year has made me proud..

i love watching the game each week, and don't think watching league has been this fun since at least 05-06 :)

always someone has to pick on the fat kid, i'm taking my ball and going home.

saints_fireup

Juniors
His words are working twofold. Firstly, he is placing things into perspective, and making an informed comment on the aspirations he held at the beginning of the season. Secondly, he is releasing the pressure valve for the players.

Of course the team has achieved above expectation. However, that won't hinder the desire for victory come Saturday night. No player in that team will be satisfied with a loss, and their hunger will be greater than ever.

Mr Red

First Grade
if the dragons lose on the weekend they will become the first team since the top 8 was introduced where the minor premier gets bundled out with 2 straight finals losses...

we dont want this record !!!

SilentAssassin

Juniors
My expectations are certainly not as high as they were a week ago.

Haven't given up on them. But I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst. I didn't sleep last Sunday night.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I, like most, have been impressed with the immediate changes Bennett has brought to the club. At the start of the season I'd have taken being alive in the 2nd week of the finals in a blink.

On the flip-side we have had a dream run with injuries and the judiciary - 2 foes of ours in previous campaigns. It would be a shame to throw that good fortune out in round 2 of the finals.

Look at Penrith and West Tigers - they grabbed their one chance in recent seasons when their stars aligned.

Go Saints

Big Norm

Cagey Mac

Bench
I swear that the intellect and attitude of some beggars belief
Superstitious bullsh*t and unrealistic expectations
To those who are happy with our lot; you get a tick…. Well done!
To the others..get real FFS
1. We are the minor premiers
2. We lost our “superstars” and developed some new cattle who were derided by many prior to the start of the season
3. We got a adequate representation in Origin and City V Country games
4. For 17 of 24 games you got to feel good about life when we won
5. Our club, in a year of controversy and bad publicity has been a bastion of virtue
6. We have a cohesive team built on working for each other and camaraderie
7. A new team with a new coach can’t choke
8. A team can’t choke, one or two playmakers maybe but the team choke mentality is media crap and defies any realistic rationale

I reckon that we’ll beat Brisbane by 12, Melbourne by 2 and the Eels by 8 in the GF and if we don’t who gives a sh*t. If you feel otherwise, see a psych and get some anti-depressants; You’ve got problems!

However it turn out, thanks boys and thanks Benny for a stellar effort

TEDGOODWINSTAND

Juniors
This "we are already winners under Bennett" stuff is a major concern. Listening to Bennett talking on Brisbane radio last night...he said they had achieved more than they set out to do this year and he was extremely happy no matter what occurs on Saturday. It doesn't augur well for our quest to keep the campaign going for three more weeks. Do they just say they've done what they set out to do and not even turn up, and turn their attention to 2010....NOW. However, he may be using the old Ron Barassi coaching ploy that worked a treat in the famous 1970 grand final when Carlton were trailing Collingwood by 44 points at halftime. (Sorry to use an AFL analogy on a league site). Coach Barassi told his troops no matter what happens, win or lose, he's proud of what Carlton had done this year. The players looked at him and replied, "coach, we're not going to lose!". They went out and won. I have two schools of thought on this. 1. The Dragons to surprise us all and win, which they've done at Suncorp so many times...or 2. They get smashed. I'm hoping it's the latter...praying even.

Dragon Dave

Bench
This "we are already winners under Bennett" stuff is a major concern. Listening to Bennett talking on Brisbane radio last night...he said they had achieved more than they set out to do this year and he was extremely happy no matter what occurs on Saturday. It doesn't augur well for our quest to keep the campaign going for three more weeks. Do they just say they've done what they set out to do and not even turn up, and turn their attention to 2010....NOW. However, he may be using the old Ron Barassi coaching ploy that worked a treat in the famous 1970 grand final when Carlton were trailing Collingwood by 44 points at halftime. (Sorry to use an AFL analogy on a league site). Coach Barassi told his troops no matter what happens, win or lose, he's proud of what Carlton had done this year. The players looked at him and replied, "coach, we're not going to lose!". They went out and won. I have two schools of thought on this. 1. The Dragons to surprise us all and win, which they've done at Suncorp so many times...or 2. They get smashed. I'm hoping it's the latter...praying even.

You hope we get smashed?

TEDGOODWINSTAND

Juniors
Not at all...as I said I have two schools of thought on this...they'll either win at Suncorp like they have so often before...against the odds...or they'll get smashed. I see one of those scenarios happening, but I wouldn't put my money on either.

TEDGOODWINSTAND

Juniors
Another thought. Having watched Bennett operate at close range up here in Queensland and knowing him personally, I know his personal pride soars above all emotions. He will bring all his skill and guile to Brisdbane on Saturday night. And the mighty saints couldn't be in better hands.

SilentAssassin

Juniors

So it was unrealistic to think we could win the premiership when we won the minor premiership? That makes sense...

I'm not saying our season is a failure if we lose. Far from it. Start of the year I had us anywhere from 4-8th.

Sterling

Juniors
sounds like you supporters and the coach are already conceiding defeat this week ... trying to make out like you overachieved to make yourselves feel better when you lose. ......
you guys finished first ....not an easy feat at all .... but unfortunately your boring style of football can win you games during the season but not semi finals .......

Southernsaint

Staff member
sounds like you supporters and the coach are already conceiding defeat this week ... trying to make out like you overachieved to make yourselves feel better when you lose. ......
you guys finished first ....not an easy feat at all .... but unfortunately your boring style of football can win you games during the season but not semi finals .......

Funny, most people say that home-and-away footy is flashy and finals footy is grinding.

Good luck tomorrow.

big pat

Coach

why don't you f**k off and dribble in your own forum.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
2. We lost our “superstars” and developed some new cattle who were derided by many prior to the start of the season
3. We got a adequate representation in Origin and City V Country games
4. For 17 of 24 games you got to feel good about life when we won
5. Our club, in a year of controversy and bad publicity has been a bastion of virtue
6. We have a cohesive team built on working for each other and camaraderie
7. A new team with a new coach can’t choke
8. A team can’t choke, one or two playmakers maybe but the team choke mentality is media crap and defies any realistic rationale

I reckon that we’ll beat Brisbane by 12, Melbourne by 2 and the Eels by 8 in the GF and if we don’t who gives a sh*t. If you feel otherwise, see a psych and get some anti-depressants; You’ve got problems!

However it turn out, thanks boys and thanks Benny for a stellar effort

Great post, well said. :clap: :clap: