What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Best Young Prospects.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I believe there should be an international rule whereby it becomes mandatory for a player to play for the country of his birth.. regardless of ancestry.

Dragonsman4life
why?, the whole point is to grow the game, international game would die pretty quick, Australia would be playing A grade side's and scoring over 100 points, look at Tonga all of a sudden there is a high quality side added into the international arena and has created huge advertising for the game..

Frank Facer

First Grade
That is precisely what I am talking about. The eligibility laws must be changed. In essence the Kiwis are being invited to steal some of our best young talent.
International League is pretty much dead, I don't even bother watching it. If NZ were not able to poach Australian born players, such as Nightingale, then they would have an even weaker side.

I do agree with you that players should be playing for their country of birth, whether it be League, Soccer, Union or at the Olympics.

Crush

Coach
International League is pretty much dead, I don't even bother watching it. If NZ were not able to poach Australian born players, such as Nightingale, then they would have an even weaker side.

I do agree with you that players should be playing for their country of birth, whether it be League, Soccer, Union or at the Olympics.
"International" league is another exhibition game same as Origin. Nobody cares too much. I bet if you ask most dragons supporters in here which they'd prefer, a dragons premiership next year or a 10 year period of their birth nations dominance all would say dragons premiership. I couldn't care less if Australia beat England in a test or world cup. Best thing about International footy is watching the second tier nations play (aka exhibition)

Mr Red

First Grade
Lomax has earned first crack at centre next season.
Lawrie and Robson must be in the 17.

Latimore to make way for them....

CronullaSaint

Juniors
"International" league is another exhibition game same as Origin. Nobody cares too much. I bet if you ask most dragons supporters in here which they'd prefer, a dragons premiership next year or a 10 year period of their birth nations dominance all would say dragons premiership. I couldn't care less if Australia beat England in a test or world cup. Best thing about International footy is watching the second tier nations play (aka exhibition)
Are 100%

why?, the whole point is to grow the game, international game would die pretty quick, Australia would be playing A grade side's and scoring over 100 points, look at Tonga all of a sudden there is a high quality side added into the international arena and has created huge advertising for the game..
Yes we all want our game to grow. Is the World Body growing our sport? Where are those nations we see represented every World Cup? They should be playing international league instead of second tier. Do you see the Australian Rugby League Commission growing our game..when it continues to reduce our great game to one played only on Australia's Eastern Seaboard.

We need people with some vision running our sport. Bring in a team from WA (it is ready) There is interest even in AFL- mad SA as we see them field a team every year in the CASC tournament. C'mon ARLC get your heads out of the sand and make our sport truly national.

I am all for the eligibility rule to be wavered for Pacific Island people. There should not only be a Tongan side.. but Fiji, Samoan and Cook Island teams too. Perhaps a three team combo for the NRL along with Tonga. and even a PNG Kumuls side. Add WA and SA and suddenly you have a national competition with a strong international flavor.

Dragonsman4Life

Last edited:
Do you honestly reckon you will get much support from that statement. Personally I love the Kangaroo jumper and all it stands for. Pride whells within me when our blokes run out onto the paddock. Nothing should give us greater satisfaction than when our 'Roos smack the Poms and Kiwis backsides.

Dragonsman4Life

Last edited:

Splinters

Juniors
I believe that eligibility should be based on race as proven through DNA testing. So all players are picked according to their racial background, like the annual Indigenous games.

possm

Coach
That is precisely what I am talking about. The eligibility laws must be changed. In essence the Kiwis are being invited to steal some of our best young talent.
You are absolutely right! The Warriors are the only rugby league team in NZ and NZ have some of the biggest and best rugby players in the world. A rule making the focus on their own territory would only be a good move for the whole game of rugby league. I may result in:
  1. A team being created on the South Island maybe facilitation a Island of Origin series over there.
  2. Recruitment of talented rugby union players from the south island further bolstering the player stocks of New Zealand rugby league and possibly the NRL.

possm

Coach
I believe that eligibility should be based on race as proven through DNA testing. So all players are picked according to their racial background, like the annual Indigenous games.

I'm more in favour of being available for selection at a national and state level by what is stated on your birth certificate.

possm

Coach

It seems to me that:
  1. NZRL is lazy when it comes to recruiting within their own country and has done very little to address this. Maybe the ARL should assit them to develop expansion / recruitment programs.
  2. Super League has been a disaster for the game in Europe. Rugby League should be expanded to include many more teams in a variety of countries over there.
  3. I think the expansion of the game throughout the south pacific is going well.
  4. We need to have a second team in Victoria, maybe Geelong and a junior competition in Melbourne and Geelong.
  5. We need to encourage some Sydney teams to re-locate to SA and WA. My suggestion would be for Souths to go to WA and Balmain to break away from its joint venture with Western Suburbs and move to SA as the Adelaid Tigers. Western Suburbs could assume their former name Western Suburbs Magpies.

You are absolutely right! The Warriors are the only rugby league team in NZ and NZ have some of the biggest and best rugby players in the world. A rule making the focus on their own territory would only be a good move for the whole game of rugby league. I may result in:
  1. A team being created on the South Island maybe facilitation a Island of Origin series over there.
  2. Recruitment of talented rugby union players from the south island further bolstering the player stocks of New Zealand rugby league and possibly the NRL.
When all is said and done it was Australia that has made NZ a powerhouse in rugby league and poaching our players is how she rewards us. Time for NZ RL to stand on its own feet by doing what you suggest.

Dragonsman4Life

Last edited:
We need to encourage some Sydney teams to re-locate to SA and WA. My suggestion would be for Souths to go to WA and Balmain to break away from its joint venture with Western Suburbs and move to SA as the Adelaid Tigers. Western Suburbs could assume their former name Western Suburbs Magpies.
You ask WA RL and they will tell you that they are ready now for the NRL.. have been for several years. Your idea of relocating a Sydney team to SA makes sense as I doubt whether a home grown Croweater league would be anywhere near competitive enuff for the NRL. This worked back in the Super League days when Murdoch was involved in our great game.

Dragonsman4Life

Last edited:
Super League has been a disaster for the game in Europe. Rugby League should be expanded to include many more teams in a variety of countries over there.
That is the job of the European RL if there is such an entity. If not then the British RL. Like I alluded to earlier we see emerging league nations strutting their stuff in the WC every four years. Then nothing is heard from them until the next WC. There needs to be more done to nurture some of the stronger second tier nations during the intervening four years. Do this and we could see a European league competition sooner rather than later. Remember back in the 60/70s a French team would tour here and they were competitive against our Roos.

Dragonsman4Life

possm

Coach
You ask WA RL and they will tell you that they are ready now for the NRL.. have been for several years. Your idea of relocating a Sydney team to SA makes sense as I doubt whether a home grown Croweater league would be anywhere near competitive enuff for the NRL. This worked back in the Super League days when Murdoch was involved in our great game.
If your view proves to be correct, then bring them in to an ISP like competition within SA and go from there.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

WA already have the name and brand and play in SG Ball (i think) under the West Coast Pirates which will be their name if given NRL aporoval. The issue fod any WA team is logistics, attracting sponsors and maintaining crowd numbers (which are always great at the beginning of a franchise, but die off once the team continues to lose) especially with the now reigning AFL premiers and a 2nd team as well in the Dockers. There is also the 3hr time difference which means basically no Thurs or Fri games eg: 8pm = 5pm in the East where people still at work or travelling home. How many games did the Warriors play on Thurs or Fri night?

SA would be a futile exercise as they also have 2 AFL teams and RL is seen as an exhibition rather than a serious comp.

Expansion should be aimed at a team either a 2nd Brisbane team or a 2nd NZ team.

watatank

Coach
Both Herbert and Marsters have been poached by the Kiwis. Any idea if they are Aussie born?

Dragonsman4life

Not sure how you can assume a player is poached if you don't even know where they came from?

Their player profile says that they are both NZ born. Herbert comes from the same area as Benji Marshall.

I believe Dufty, Host, Leilua, Sele, Herbert are all St George juniors.

Herbert is from NZ and played SG Ball for the Steelers.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Not sure how you can assume a player is poached if you don't even know where they came from?

Their player profile says that they are both NZ born. Herbert comes from the same area as Benji Marshall.

Herbert is from NZ and played SG Ball for the Steelers.

Correct Watatank.

Both Herbert and Masters were born in NZ which makes them eligible for NZ.

It also has something to do with parentage or lineage as well, hence Sims can play for Fiji and Aitken for Scotland etc.

It is different to the SOO eligibility which is (supposed to be) where a player plays his first game.

Drag Queen

Bench
Not trying to show bias.. but are you serious? There would be limited NRL without them bra.

Frank Facer

First Grade
It seems to me that:
  1. NZRL is lazy when it comes to recruiting within their own country and has done very little to address this. Maybe the ARL should assit them to develop expansion / recruitment programs.
  2. Super League has been a disaster for the game in Europe. Rugby League should be expanded to include many more teams in a variety of countries over there.
  3. I think the expansion of the game throughout the south pacific is going well.
  4. We need to have a second team in Victoria, maybe Geelong and a junior competition in Melbourne and Geelong.
  5. We need to encourage some Sydney teams to re-locate to SA and WA. My suggestion would be for Souths to go to WA and Balmain to break away from its joint venture with Western Suburbs and move to SA as the Adelaid Tigers. Western Suburbs could assume their former name Western Suburbs Magpies.
I would move Cronulla to Adelaide and Canterbury to the Christchurch. We would get our juniors back from Cronulla and Canterbury's juniors could be divided up between us and West Tigers.