What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons coach looking forward to big guns returning

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach looking forward to big guns returning for New Zealand clash

By MITCH JENNINGS
Feb. 14, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor says he will have to look to Saturday’s trial against the Warriors in New Zealand to finalise his 17 for round one after a disappointing Charity Shield performance.
The Dragons were without Gareth Widdop, Josh Dugan and first choice back-row of Tyson Frizell and Joel Thompson.

The Rabbitohs were also heavily depleted missing Sam, George and Tom Burgess, Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston and Adam Reynolds while Luke Keary was a late withdrawal with a hip complaint.
It left both sides reaching into their second tier but McGregor said the Rabbitohs young-guns showed a lot more desire in the 18-14 win.
“It was a trial. They enjoyed the occasion and we didn’t rise enough,’’ McGregor said post-match.
“You can look at it as a trial or an opportunity. They looked at it as an opportunity, we looked at it as a trial.
“All across the park they won the ground all day. They controlled the play-the-ball speed, got off their line well and certainly had a lot of intent in what they were about and we lacked it.”
While he didn’t mince words in describing his side’s effort McGregor said he wasn’t overly concerned by the performance but is expecting a better showing against the Warriors on Saturday.

‘‘I don’t think it’s concerning. It’s a trial, we played 24 players there and a lot of those guys hadn’t played together," McGregor said.

‘‘If it keeps happening it’s concerning but it’s a trial. I’m confident in our playing group there’s no doubt about that but come next week we’ve got some work to do.
‘‘I’d like to look at it as our final hit-out before we determine our 17 to start the year.
‘‘I’d like to treat it with a lot more importance than we did on Saturday.’’
McGregor is also expecting some big guns to return this week.

‘We had both back-rowers out, Thompson and Frizell, obviously Gareth and Duges [Josh Dugan],” he aid.

“They’ll all be available this week.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3726526/on-notice/?cs=302

GC Dragon

Juniors
I mean the home Warriors games are on fox live into Australia . The Warriors Titans game on Saturday was on . So i am assuming the Dragons game will be as well .

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I mean the home Warriors games are on fox live into Australia . The Warriors Titans game on Saturday was on . So i am assuming the Dragons game will be as well .

Couldn't see it on the programme/guide mate ?
I hope you're right.

SBD82

Coach
That implied that frizzel is back next week. Is that a slip up? Or has he got back early? Anyone know?

Mr Red

First Grade
That implied that frizzel is back next week. Is that a slip up? Or has he got back early? Anyone know?

was about to ask the same question..surely a slip up from Mary?
Friz isnt due back until about round 2 or 3... i doubt they would risk him coming back early for a trial..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
was about to ask the same question..surely a slip up from Mary?
Friz isnt due back until about round 2 or 3... i doubt they would risk him coming back early for a trial..

Well we hope not Red then again we have been known to do strange things......hope actually he doesn't show, what started as a very promising season is already tarnished with Masoe gone...there are bound to be injuries somewhere this year that's a given, so don't see the need to risk players returning from surgery early for a trial especially against a kiwi outfit that are always physical

bottle

Coach
They interviewed Friz before the CS. Said he'd just started running and had some soreness in the back. Was hoping for a return Rd 1 but looked dubious.
I'd be stunned to see him run out before the season starts, let alone this week. Could be a smokescreen, but doubt they'll risk him following back surgery, particularly given there are no points in the line.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
They interviewed Friz before the CS. Said he'd just started running and had some soreness in the back. Was hoping for a return Rd 1 but looked dubious.
I'd be stunned to see him run out before the season starts, let alone this week. Could be a smokescreen, but doubt they'll risk him following back surgery, particularly given there are no points in the line.

I agree mate would be a pretty pathetic smoke screen to use in a trial