What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons' Dan Hunt may be on way out

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
O'Brien will get a go next year he's in the Dragons sytem for another two years.

Wakeman isn't even signed to the Dragons and people are saying move him on lol maybe people don't understand the system the Dragons and Cutters have in place.

If the Cutters where to become a fully fledged second grade team things would be simplier but thats not going to happen.

Players not aiming to play first grade wtf is with that statement every player is aiming to play in the NRL but alot don't make it doesn't mean they don't have the desire to.

Wow, seems like there are no real clear pathways from Holden cup to NRL at the Dragons.:sarcasm:

Holden cup to the NRL is a big jump having a proper second grade team would be more benefical for player development at a senior level do you comprehend or is that above you.

watatank

Coach
I don't see the point of complaining about O'Brien and Wakeman (who isn't even signed), they aren't going to block the path of juniors that are good enough.

Fonua-Blake is signed for three years, he hasn't turned 19 yet, he has plenty of time and has clearly been identified as a player of the future so no real issue there. Not sure what other U20s forwards *need* to be fast tracked through the Cutters, if they are good enough they will advance on their own accord, if they are stuck behind other players it's because they aren't good enough or need more time.

Anyway, I don't see the point of rushing development when it comes to the next group of young forwards. I don't think we have exactly got value out of the likes of De Belin, Stockwell and Frizell, no matter how much we rate and like them.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Holden cup to the NRL is a big jump having a proper second grade team would be more benefical for player development at a senior level do you comprehend or is that above you.

What significant difference will a 'proper' second grade team have? Aren't the cutters already playing against other 'proper' second grade teams? Every nrl team is restricted to a 25 man squad anyway.
Also those Souths juniors seemed to have handled the transition from 20's to first just fine. Ditto those For penrith. Can you comprehend that?

Penrith had no choice the injury toll they had forced players to be brought up probably a bit quicker then expected and Souths the guys they brought up had already been playing in the NSW Cup.

The Dragons had one of the younger teams in the Holden cup this year they didn't need to promote anyone because none of them where ready its as simple as that.

Having a fully functioning second grade team allows for a more professional development plan. The Cutters only train 3 days a week and have no idea what Dragons players they will even have for the weekend game.

They did well this year with such limited preparation at times even some one like yourself would see the benefits of a more organised operation.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
It'd be fantastic to have a fully professional second grade team, but I doubt that our funds would allow for it. I also doubt many other nrl teams in the comp have fully fledged professional second grade teams running around.

Still, nothing stopping the nrl side training alongside the cutters side, even if it's only once per week on a week night. I imagine the cutters wouldn't be training during the day, as most would have full time jobs.

TheRev

Coach
Penrith had no choice the injury toll they had forced players to be brought up probably a bit quicker then expected and Souths the guys they brought up had already been playing in the NSW Cup.

The Dragons had one of the younger teams in the Holden cup this year they didn't need to promote anyone because none of them where ready its as simple as that.

Having a fully functioning second grade team allows for a more professional development plan. The Cutters only train 3 days a week and have no idea what Dragons players they will even have for the weekend game.

They did well this year with such limited preparation at times even some one like yourself would see the benefits of a more organised operation.
There were a couple of opportunities missed in previous seasons, playing blokes out of position as a defensive stop-gap... But agree, this year was ok, they took too long to utilise Mata'utai but that was the only issue, I was pleased that Quinlan got game-time. We actually had an almost injury free year (relatively), which is actually why its such a shame we didnt make the finals to utilise it!

Also I would have had Bird play a couple of games @ right centre at some stage for Cutters/1sts in the last 12mths as an acceleration into 1st grade, but that idea was poo-poo'd when I suggested it on the forums early on.. and now hes been stolen from us as a 1st grade ctr at the Sharks.. hot.

saints4me

Juniors

This! A very accurate assessment!

Latest posts