What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Future Hooker

denis preston

First Grade
Gee Denis I forgot about all those other things.😲 Bloody hell, that was a terrible time. Four TV channels and Chuck Faulkner reading the news and in black and white, getting paid only $64 a fortnight, getting loans to pay for Uni fees, smoking on public transport (which I did for many years unfortunately), polio, diphtheria, the list goes on. Meat, veg, fish and chips I didn't mind.

I lived life the best I could in the years from early 60's but in some ways like many of us could have tried harder in getting the most out of everything and taking more risks. I like to think that those little pleasures that I had were around for me to experience balanced the harder stuff in life.
Chuck Faulkner ! didn't like his salary at channel 10 so he robbed the place ! Found innocent so I guess so in appreciation became a cop on Division 4 !

jak

Bench
Is dat wot's wrong wiff me? Haha!

Good guys were born in the 40's that's for sure and you are no exception Jak. That latter era of the 40's when all the war was over and everyone getting on with their lives and being happy with whatever they had. The 50's and 60's the best not only for the Dragons but with all the music coming out from Elvis, Sinatra, The Mersey Sound, the Beach Boys, our own in the Bee Gees (born in the UK I know but started their careers here), it goes on and on. Life then was the best and even work was so easy to get and the biggest thing to me was there was much less stress for us all.

All the best Jak for good years ahead.
all the best to you to dave, your absolutely right we were born into the best of times.

I lived life the best I could in the years from early 60's but in some ways like many of us could have tried harder in getting the most out of everything and taking more risks.
While you guys were doing your 60s thing you were at least doing it in freedom. I was locked away in a Mason -run draconian boarding school for between 9/10 months a year for nine years. At least one cold shower a day..even in winter and it can be bitter in far western Sydney then, abysmal food such as warm bread and milk, porridge you could stand you spoon in, soup we called dishwater, with accompanying weevils. An egg once a week with soggy toast. A roast dinner once a year. A bag of lollies and a book once a year. A movie once a month if you had avoided demerit points. Playing footy or cricket on a paddock we shared with crapping cows and dive bombing maggies. Missing a family visit if you had been given detention, mostly for petty offenses. That hurt far more than any other deprivation. So if you think life was tuff for you, think again about spending your childhood in a boarding school.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
While you guys were doing your 60s thing you were at least doing it in freedom. I was locked away in a draconian boarding school for between 9/10 months a year for nine years. At least one cold shower a day..even in winter and it can be bitter in far western Sydney then, abysmal food such as warm bread and milk, porridge you could stand you spoon in, soup we called dishwater, with accompanying weevils. An egg once a week with soggy toast. A roast dinner once a year. A bag of lollies and a book once a year. A movie once a month if you had avoided demerit points. Playing footy or cricket on a paddock we shared with crapping cows and dive bombing maggies. Missing a family visit if you had been given detention, mostly for petty offenses. That hurt far more than any other deprivation. So dont tell me you had it tuff back then.
Yes, I can see that there are these situations you talk of baggygreen man that you lived through particularly at a "vulnerable" age. Boarding school kids copped it in lots of ways. Discipline and punishment pretty bad I would imagine and what they gave you to eat, how was that any good nutrition for guys growing up?

I must admit that I did have a lot of freedom to do things but I do regret that I didn't put my head down and studied harder. Nevertheless I managed to get into a job that offered plenty of security, friendships and long term employment up until I was able to get a redundancy and then buy my own house again after 2 divorces and have a proper roof over my head with my 3rd wife and two boys.

I hope that your life now is as good as you would like it to be baggygreen man.

the garage

Juniors
Watching the finals reinforces how strategic the dummy half position is.

1st pair of hands must be attacking (not only distribution) in modern game, when a team is moving forward from 1st touch their attacking structure is at advantage, more importantly opposition's defensive structure under pressure.

Also noticed how the kicking game is so much an attacking fundamental of the better teams, not just a ground position thing, have noticed most hookers of the good sides have a pretty good 'grubber' kick.

If you are in the opposition's quarter attacking on 5th or 6th tackle and you don't have 2 or 3 players in the team that can use the kick (grubber or cross field) as a genuine attacking option in play you are not going to win that many games in 2023.

Harry Grant a weapon, have we anyone remotely like him?

Ben Hunt? Maybe but you need a good No7 going in to replace him.

possm

Coach
How long did it take for McCullough to score a try as our hooker. Sullivan has scored for us but certainly didn't take long to score yesterday. Sullivan and Amone will be a formidable combination one day for us, you mark my words. Same with Sloan and the Feagai brothers. All these guys have been mates for yonks and know each others plays like the backs of their hands.

Bird is starting to rediscover some of his centre form from years ago. He was certainly a toiler and being jonty on the spot yesterday scoring, setting up, taking high balls and nullifying several raids.

With both McCullough and Mbye out for the rest of the season (injury and suspension respectively), Sullivan is the man for the hooker role and interchanging with Hunt in the halves.

It will be hard to match it with the likes of the Storm, Panthers and Roosters etc but one day, it will happen. Just need the right things to happen (not wanting to say what they are as they have already been said over a thousand times).
The problem is that we can't always keep them once they are ready to fire. We need to change our thinking by having 17 of the very best we can buy in our squad and then back that 17 up with our promising juniors.

possm

Coach
Watching the finals reinforces how strategic the dummy half position is.

1st pair of hands must be attacking (not only distribution) in modern game, when a team is moving forward from 1st touch their attacking structure is at advantage, more importantly opposition's defensive structure under pressure.

Also noticed how the kicking game is so much an attacking fundamental of the better teams, not just a ground position thing, have noticed most hookers of the good sides have a pretty good 'grubber' kick.

If you are in the opposition's quarter attacking on 5th or 6th tackle and you don't have 2 or 3 players in the team that can use the kick (grubber or cross field) as a genuine attacking option in play you are not going to win that many games in 2023.

Harry Grant a weapon, have we anyone remotely like him?

Ben Hunt? Maybe but you need a good No7 going in to replace him.
With a spine of:
1. Ramsey / Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt
There would be an enormous amount of flair in attack, and plenty of opportunities when it comes to kicks in general play. Of course in the off-season Sloan, Amone and Sullivan would have to work very hard on the defensive skills.

"vulnerable" age.
Had I not been born well adjusted I expect, first losing my father at 7 then being subjected to the worst the Masons could throw at me, I may have become disturbed for life by my experiences. I did not mention the corporal punishment. Minor infringements meant three whacks with cane across the palms while more serious was three across the bare bum.

Dragon David

First Grade
Had I not been born well adjusted I expect, first losing my father at 7 then being subjected to the worst the Masons could throw at me, I may have become disturbed for life by my experiences. I did not mention the corporal punishment. Minor infringements meant three whacks with cane across the palms while more serious was three across the bare bum.
I'm glad that you were well adjusted and able to overcome the treatment you experienced baggygreen. Corporal punishment was the worst. I remember getting the cane for failing a stupid test and me and my other classmates in woodwork all getting the cane by the deputy headmaster for looking out of the classroom window wondering when the teacher was going to turn up. This wasn't a boarding school though.

Anyway, our suffering now is as supporters of the Dragons. I hope that the club will make the right "adjustments" and sign a worthwhile hooker.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
With a spine of:
1. Ramsey / Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt
There would be an enormous amount of flair in attack, and plenty of opportunities when it comes to kicks in general play. Of course in the off-season Sloan, Amone and Sullivan would have to work very hard on the defensive skills.

this, and beef up our forward pack.

Latest posts