What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRagons - Let's Stick Together

Butters

Bench
Gee, from that whole essay I wrote, you focused on that....:lol::lol:

I even admitted it was a choke. My words were in relation to Tom Aces stupid comments about St George, the steelers and the rubbish about choking. We've choked twice..........you'll find nearly every team has choked at least twice in te last 10 years........stay on topic..

I suppose I'm expecting too much from a AFL lover........

what's the matter? did the truth about Harrigan assisting your win by not penalising Tawera Nikau for 3 blatant head shots + the forward pass for Tony Martin's try from Geyer upset diddums........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrAbXMsCDk

Cry some more princess.

gallagher

Juniors
In 1996 we lost to unbackable favourites Manly with a team that had to be rebuilt after Super League decimated it. Even the coach left (Rod Reddy) and was replaced by David Waite who did the impossible and got us to within a mickey hair of a premiership.

Didnt superleague start in 97?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Didnt superleague start in 97?
Super League's intentions were well known by 1995.

1996 was the first round of fighting in the courts. The first round was actually highlighted by a number of forfeits from Super League clubs in the opening round.

The player shuffle was going on - Saints were particularly hard hit with head coach and assistant coach leaving, and players being signed up elsewhere en-masse.

We found a new coach in David Waite and the players came back, but we struggled early on and were written off for the year. It was an extraordinary effort to come from that and actually make the grand final.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Super League's intentions were well known by 1995.

1996 was the first round of fighting in the courts. The first round was actually highlighted by a number of forfeits from Super League clubs in the opening round.

The player shuffle was going on - Saints were particularly hard hit with head coach and assistant coach leaving, and players being signed up elsewhere en-masse.

We found a new coach in David Waite and the players came back, but we struggled early on and were written off for the year. It was an extraordinary effort to come from that and actually make the grand final.

April Fool's Day.

What a joke...

Tom Ace

Bench
Are you serious????

St George won 15 premierships prior to the merge. Considering they were only in the comp from 1921 and the merger began in 1998 (a total of 77 years), they won a Grand Final every 5.1 years. No Club (except for the Broncos) has such a good strike rate. Even the 3 Grand Finbals we lost in the 90's were not chokes. In 1992 and 1993 we lost to raging hot favourites Brisbane. In 1996 we lost to unbackable favourites Manly with a team that had to be rebuilt after Super League decimated it. Even the coach left (Rod Reddy) and was replaced by David Waite who did the impossible and got us to within a mickey hair of a premiership.

There have only been two real chokes by the Dragons........1999 Grand Final (where a lot of decisions went against us in the second half) and the 2005 prelim final. In all other games we bowed out to better teams...

2008 - Manly, eventual premiers
2007 - Didn't make the semis
2006 - Lost to raging hot favourites, Melbourne.
2005 - choked against the Tigers
2004 - lost by a point to Penrith. We had a horrendous injury toll and half the team only just returned from injury in that game. The returning players included Barrett, Ryles, Bailey, Gasnier, thompson and Timmins. we lost Cooper for the game and Kite was moved to the centres. The dogs lost to the Cowboys and we went out backwards - like Manly in 2009
2003 - Didn't make finals after losing all of the super 6 in the second half of the season.
2002 - Beaten by a strong Cronulla team at Toyota
2001 - Beaten by defending premiers Broncos.
2000 - Didn't make the semis after half our 1999 team retired - Coyne, McGregor, Wishart, Brad Mackay, Patten went to dogs, Fitzgibbon went to Roosters.

Tom Ace, stop talking out of your arse and do some research before shooting your mouth off. The steelers were broke and would about to close their doors.

Such a sensitive soul aren't you?

What I'm reading is a lot of excuses.

It really tells you something when someone feels the need to write a novel on a message board on the internet to try and win an argument.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Tom Ace

Bench
hang on...

exactly who the f**k are you? and who are you to tell someone how they should support their club?

you're a pissant noboody that's who.

if myself and all the other thousands and thousands of saints fans are proud of our clubs history and believe in remembering it and embracing it then we will.

this is not a topic open for discussion so you can run along now

Wrong. This topic is clearly open for discussion and that's the very thing that's happening sport.

I'm not telling you how you should support your club, i'm telling you who you can support.

I permit you to support the entirely new entity, St George Illawarra Dragons, in the NRL. If you are supporting St. George Dragons you are supporting a dead team as far as the top tier of Rugby League in Australia is concerned.

It's really quite simple.

Beretov Ukraine

Juniors
home ground is the same
admin is the same
jersey is the same
history is the same

its just a name addition and all of a sudden that is all wiped?

Eastern Suburbs - Sydney City - Sydney

Canterbury-Bankstown - Berries - Bulldogs - Canterbury-Bankstown

Manly Warringah - Northern Eagles - Manly

they have all changed!

the hate they get is unbelievable
roosters choked 2 grand finals - OH NO WAIT it isnt the dragons? 'roosters were just beaten by the better team'
:crazy:

jimmythehand

Juniors
thing with the dragons is that with a team of so called superstars throughout the naughties, they never got close to the grand final a lot of the time, despite starting the year close to favouritism. they don't need to make grand finals to choke. a lot of the time they barely made the semis or if they did bowed out with a whimper - despite what many perceived to be a superior playing roster to most teams.

Tom Ace

Bench
home ground is the same
admin is the same
jersey is the same
history is the same

its just a name addition and all of a sudden that is all wiped?

Eastern Suburbs - Sydney City - Sydney

Canterbury-Bankstown - Berries - Bulldogs - Canterbury-Bankstown

Manly Warringah - Northern Eagles - Manly

they have all changed!

the hate they get is unbelievable
roosters choked 2 grand finals - OH NO WAIT it isnt the dragons? 'roosters were just beaten by the better team'
:crazy:

No, it's not.

It's a merging with another team to create a new team.

I cant work out why that's so hard to understand.

2 old clubs became 1 new club.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
The NRL is a merger that didn't exist before 1998. Yet they claim all NSWRL records back to 1908 as their own. Going by your logic, all the pre-1998 records should be disregarded.

Tool.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
We're always going to cop it people. Stop trying to defend it. Facts are we have gone OK in finals up until the third and fourth week & that is a massive weight on the clubs shoulders.

Disregard all the downplayed talk in the paper. The Dragons by virtue of their history are always under more pressure than anyone else. The pressure comes from us fans more than anywhere else & the facts are that the team hasn't handled it well since the merger. Personally, I consider the 90's a very good decade for St George with considerably less talent & resources at their disposal. 92 we came from nowhere, 93 we 1/2 the act in the woerst grand final ever played & the run of 1996 still swells my chest with pride. I don't consider any of those as chokes personally, but great achievements.

1999 onwards has held promise every single year & for me personally, thats a great feeling, knowing that you're more likely than not to be playing in September. We have a better record than 14 other clubs in terms of finals series appearances in the NRL era & have gone deep into the finals on half a dozen occasions. All this is well and good & the bullsh*t that gets sprouted I feel sometimnes takes away from other teams performances against us, but thats just the way it is.

Saints will always cop it rightly or wrongly. Who gives a toss what anyone else thinks? Are we all that soft in 2009?

Fact will remain that we are labelled as chokers until the players produce a premiership & guess what....they win three in a row & they will do it this year. I'm not overly confident given our stubles in September, but I eternally live in hope.

Chokers we shall remain until the job is done. I fear that the players don't have the mental strength to win finals matches.

The only ones who can change that perception are the players themselves & I hope to f**king Christ that they finally man up when it matters.

funny-dog-pictures-stick-together.jpg

Lol at the Dragons fans biting. Lol at the dickheads trying to bait. Who cares, two teams became one. It has supporters, it has haters.

Last edited:

Latest posts