What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeah but there we go, everyone here has a opinion, "we need a fullback, we need a winger, we need a centre, we need a prop, we need more depth in the second row, we need an upgraded hooker".
You can't buy everyone, you can't buy a premiership.
We are not the Roosters.
No one can accuse us of trying to buy a premiership. We shop at Go Lo and the Reject Shop. The only major signing that we have recently made was Hunt and it didn't look like Brisbane were that concerned about him leaving. The problem is that we don't seem to ever get any players who are in demand. It is like if there are other clubs in the running for a players signature, then we are instantly out of the race. We weren't even mentioned about being in the race for Tedesco, even though we had Dugan off contract and on 800K plus, Tedesco was reported to have signed with East for 700 or 750K, but we all know that he signed for a lot more, including TPA's. We haven't even been mentioned as a possible suitor for Pangai Junior. It is quite depressing.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yep reports they are offering Haas 3 mill for 4 years means they have to let some go I imagine.
Now Haas is the kind of player that I would have liked us to have signed. I said that I would go 750K a season for 4 years for Haas and some people tried to ridicule me for it. lol

No one can accuse us of trying to buy a premiership. We shop at Go Lo and the Reject Shop. The only major signing that we have recently made was Hunt and it didn't look like Brisbane were that concerned about him leaving. The problem is that we don't seem to ever get any players who are in demand. It is like if there are other clubs in the running for a players signature, then we are instantly out of the race. We weren't even mentioned about being in the race for Tedesco, even though we had Dugan off contract and on 800K plus, Tedesco was reported to have signed with East for 700 or 750K, but we all know that he signed for a lot more, including TPA's. We haven't even been mentioned as a possible suitor for Pangai Junior. It is quite depressing.
We don't have the Roosters, Broncos, Storm buckets of corporate cash.
Teddy may be on $750, but he get well over a million when the TPAs come into it.
It's seriously something the NRL needs to look at.

The Damo

Juniors
I think Musgrove is still on the agenda. Again we will be signing another offcut. I don't mind the idea of Musgrove, but I would have preferred to have signed only one of Sims and Musgrove and then signed a top line prop as well. I don't think we are going to win a comp with off cuts. It is quite depressing that we only seem to sign off cuts and always shopping at Go Lo or the Reject Shop. It makes me feel like we are one of those clubs in the EPL who will never win the comp, but just make up the numbers. Our lack of funds/TPA's is an indictment on our management.
Thing is we have two top line props starting for us Vaughan and Graham. There’s a limit to what you can spend on props. There’s very few props worth 750k under the salary cap - Haas may well turn out to be one of them.
If we have Korbin as first choice bench then one of musgrave/Latimore/Lawrie/ other signing like Terepo (who I’d still love to get - he and Sims would be a bloody awesome prop bench, get 30-35 minutes of high impact there) then we’d be sitting very well.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Thing is we have two top line props starting for us Vaughan and Graham. There’s a limit to what you can spend on props. There’s very few props worth 750k under the salary cap - Haas may well turn out to be one of them.
If we have Korbin as first choice bench then one of musgrave/Latimore/Lawrie/ other signing like Terepo (who I’d still love to get - he and Sims would be a bloody awesome prop bench, get 30-35 minutes of high impact there) then we’d be sitting very well.
I think Graham has only got one more year left in him.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I was just thinking that when we merged with Illawarra, we took on Illawarra's financial situation. Illawarra didn't make big name signing either. I didn't want us to merge with Easts and be the Sydney Dragons, with the Red V jersey, but in hindsight, if we would have merged with Easts at least we would have been in a financial situation to be premiership contenders most years. I didn't want us to merge with Illawarra either. Yeah, I know, it isn't a merger, it is a joint venture.

We would be much better chance of winning comps with Easts funds than with Illawarra's juniors. I am now starting to wonder if we will ever win another comp.

ouryears

Bench
No one decent wants to play for Mary nor alongside our numbers 2,3,4,5, and 6.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

FF, don’t get down mate.
We need to remind ourselves that we don’t have an endless cap like the Rorters and we don’t have an Uncle Nick!

We have Bonehead and an unused playing bench. Apart from that, life is good........ as long as we beat the Cowgirls this week.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I was just thinking that when we merged with Illawarra, we took on Illawarra's financial situation. Illawarra didn't make big name signing either. I didn't want us to merge with Easts and be the Sydney Dragons, with the Red V jersey, but in hindsight, if we would have merged with Easts at least we would have been in a financial situation to be premiership contenders most years. I didn't want us to merge with Illawarra either. Yeah, I know, it isn't a merger, it is a joint venture.

We would be much better chance of winning comps with Easts funds than with Illawarra's juniors. I am now starting to wonder if we will ever win another comp.

We will win another comp, possibly just not until we see a transition of overall club management and coaching staff.

As we are all aware, we are currently in the mist of doing a ‘Three-peat’ of previous seasons, so it may not happen anytime soon.

However, we can only hope.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just read that Brisbane are apparently going to sign Haas to a 6 year deal for 500K a season. That is a bargain if I have ever seen one. Unless there is a massive 3rd party deal that hasn't been mentioned, Haas should sack his manager.

blaza88z

Coach
if the Dragons fade away this season and play an elimination final in the first round, do you guys reckon Mary gets the flick?

From where you were early on in the year and with the roster you have and also luck with injuries, if you guys aren't in the top 4, he has to go