What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons table three-year deal to Moses Suli

possm

Coach
Explosive Manly centre Moses Suli has been tabled a three-year offer to switch to St George Illawarra for next season.

Foxsports.com.au understands that the 21-year-old wrecking ball has garnered significant interest from the Dragons, who want to have the wrecking ball wearing the Red V in 2021.

Rated as one of the most devastating strike centre talents in the game, the lack of three-quarter options coming off contract on November 1 means Suli is in a commanding position for clubs looking for powerful running option in the backs.

Suli endured a difficult start to life as a NRL player but has since turned it around and gone to another level at the Sea Eagles.

Both the Tigers and the Bulldogs gave him the boot when he was still a prodigious talent, but after heading over the Spit bridge the centre has thrived under Des Hasler.

Suli was let go from the Tigers after he was signed on a mega deal as a teenager after he reportedly showed a poor attitude towards training.

His troubles continued at Canterbury, where he was released just fourth weeks into a $1.3 million contract.

The Dragons have Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken coming off contract later this year, and signing Suli, who at 21 has his best years ahead of him, would be a shrewd acquisition.

The other factor to consider, however, is that it was Manly who signed the Tongan powerhouse when his NRL career looked to be all but over.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...i/news-story/94edc6f6d676b14d17a830faac15be1b

In my opinion this player could end up being a very good signing for the Dragons.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Explosive Manly centre Moses Suli has been tabled a three-year offer to switch to St George Illawarra for next season.

Foxsports.com.au understands that the 21-year-old wrecking ball has garnered significant interest from the Dragons, who want to have the wrecking ball wearing the Red V in 2021.

Rated as one of the most devastating strike centre talents in the game, the lack of three-quarter options coming off contract on November 1 means Suli is in a commanding position for clubs looking for powerful running option in the backs.

Suli endured a difficult start to life as a NRL player but has since turned it around and gone to another level at the Sea Eagles.

Both the Tigers and the Bulldogs gave him the boot when he was still a prodigious talent, but after heading over the Spit bridge the centre has thrived under Des Hasler.

Suli was let go from the Tigers after he was signed on a mega deal as a teenager after he reportedly showed a poor attitude towards training.

His troubles continued at Canterbury, where he was released just fourth weeks into a $1.3 million contract.

The Dragons have Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken coming off contract later this year, and signing Suli, who at 21 has his best years ahead of him, would be a shrewd acquisition.

The other factor to consider, however, is that it was Manly who signed the Tongan powerhouse when his NRL career looked to be all but over.

In my opinion this player could end up being a very good signing for the Dragons.

Agree Possm- pity he's not available now- hopefully Des has knocked the rough edges off him- also, I think he's a right side centre?- if so - goodbye, farewell and amen to Euan.

Belta

Juniors
Be great if it ever happened. He is a beast and was huge at the back end of last year, I can see him becoming one of the most damaging attacking players. Not confident of him coming our way though especially based on our more recent recruitment policy, being plodders, retirees and Neville nobody’s.

possm

Coach
Be great if it ever happened. He is a beast and was huge at the back end of last year, I can see him becoming one of the most damaging attacking players. Not confident of him coming our way though especially based on our more recent recruitment policy, being plodders, retirees and Neville nobody’s.
It is not often that a tabled SGI offer to a player goes public. We seem to keep these things secret until the offer is accepted and signed. So I believe this one will happen; if only it would be for 2020 and beyond.

Agree Possm- pity he's not available now- hopefully Des has knocked the rough edges off him- also, I think he's a right side centre?- if so - goodbye, farewell and amen to Euan.
It looks like they are aligning this signing with the departure of Lafai and Aitkin and the inevitable exit of McGregor.
This kid developed into a damaging and consistent first grader under the watchful eye of Des.
There was no point in signing him this year because of the McGregor factor.
Under an experienced mentor, Suli will add a lot of potency to our backline.
What I will never understand is the length of the contracts afforded to the incumbents and the negligent extensions afforded to McGregor.

Belta

Juniors
It is not often that a tabled SGI offer to a player goes public. We seem to keep these things secret until the offer is accepted and signed. So I believe this one will happen; if only it would be for 2020 and beyond.

It would be nice if that is the case. Enduring loyalty to some rather ineffective players coupled with a long list of bog average signings has really seen us with our backs up against the wall. A few astute signings would make a world of difference, especially in conjunction with the talent we’ve got coming through.

getsmarty

Immortal
suli-m-190629-_-jo_1580.jpg

SEA EAGLES

Suli to trade Fairfield for Eagles nest if he can seal new deal
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 9 Mar 2020, 06:01 PM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Moses Suli will invest far more than just his football ability if he extends his time with the Sea Eagles this year.

The 22-year-old centre is off contract in 2020 and after being originally lured there by Trent Barrett, he has thrived under new coach Des Hasler.

It's been worth the more than 100km round trip he makes every day from his home in Fairfield in Sydney's south-west.

So if he can strike a new deal with the club, Suli will move to Sydney's northern peninsula.

"I'd love to stay. And if they give me the opportunity I'm willing to move out here too," Suli said.

"My manager has got it all under control so I don't know too much. I haven't really thought about it or spoken about it.

"I just want to play footy and hopefully get the best outcome for whatever comes up.

"It feels like home now. It's my third year here and I've loved every second of it. "

Suli is certain to attract attention with the Dragons a possible suitor since they have two centres in Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken off contract as well this year.

After a stop-start career with the Wests Tigers first and then a brief off-season stint with the Bulldogs, Barrett was able to draw something out of Suli in 2018.

Last year under Hasler he played 22 games and scored six tries. He had nearly double that in try assists for his rookie wingman Reuben Garrick, who racked up 16.

"They've given me the opportunity that I really needed, when I was down," Suli said of Manly.

"I appreciate everything that they've done for me. And I'm trying to repay them by playing the best footy that I can."

He is creating a dynamite right edge for the Sea Eagles: halfback Daly Cherry-Evans feeding the ball to Curtis Sironen, Suli and then onto Garrick.

"Hopefully we continue our combination to grow this year and hopefully that helps him stay," Cherry-Evans said.

"I'd love for him to stay. He played right centre outside of me for most of last year and I enjoy playing alongside him.

"It looks like he's turned things around. He's certainly training really well, which is a step in the right direction for his footy."

Suli and fellow centre Brad Parker will be mainstays once again in the Manly back five although their opponents in round one – the Storm – have two notable absences in 2020 in the centres - Will Chambers (rugby union) and Curtis Scott (Raiders).

Marion Seve and Justin Olam are the predicted replacements for the Storm's trip to Lottoland this Sunday.

"I was up against Justin Olam last year – heaps strong and a good player. I'm looking forward to the challenge again," Suli said.

It's a new ball game for Parker.

"I actually haven't gone up against the centres I'll be playing against so it's a bit different for me," Parker said.

"That could be a good thing having no expectations – just go and play my natural game."

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Daly Cherry-Evans picks his NRL Fantasy team

Daly Cherry-Evans picks his NRL Fantasy team

And Parker hopes to keep improving game after a breakthrough end-of-season representative call-up. He played in the Prime Minister's XIII and Junior Kangaroos sides.

"It brought home to myself that I am a NRL player and what my standing is in this team. It's given me a lot of confidence and it's made me determined to build on that," he said.

"I just can't have one good season and this year slack off. I've got more pressure on me than ever to have a another good season and try to do well."

His wingman, Jorge Taufua, might have some expectation as well after he flattened Storm star Cameron Munster in a tackle at Lottoland in round 24 last year.

"He [Munster] is probably still having nightmares – hopefully Jorgie gets into him again," Parker said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/09/suli-to-trade-fairfield-for-eagles-nest-if-he-can-seal-new-deal/

Gareth67

First Grade
He would indeed be a good acquisition IF and I mean IF young Dessie has knocked off his rough edges . Young , powerful with unlimited potential BUT as Dennis Papaioannou has said - under McGregor will he be able to fulfill that potential ?

The other aspect that does concern me is that he was a troubled individual , that being the case do we hope that it is all in the past or do we merely cross our fingers and hope for the best - bearing in mind he already has two strikes against his name , only one remaining . Just food for thought .

Well the previous post has only just been submitted , therefore it seems pointless in discussing the matter any further.

There was a Suli article posted on NRL.com today which seemed to indicate that he wants to re-sign with Manly. Hard to be confident we'll secure him but glad we are looking in the right direction.
In truth, why would the kid want to sign for us?
Would be fantastic if he did but the likely hood of him leaving Manly is remote.
The only chance we have is for a top line coach to be inserted well before the 2021 season.

mickeylane

Bench
Geez I can’t see him leaving Manly if they show interest in re signing him. Only thinking here is that Manly is looking at someone else for their right centre - would be a good signing which means goodbye Aitken and goodbye Dufty and possibly Sailor as Lomax stays at No.1 w Ramsay the understudy..

BLM01

First Grade
No
No Millward is not capable of getting the deal done would not agree.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If the report is factual, the main point is that we have tabled a deal, which means negotiations have been progressing past the initial stage. It wouldn't be just a random offer, his manager would have set some parameters around what he wants for his client.
Manly are in a bit of a cap squeeze with a lot of it spent on DCE and the Trbojevic brothers as well as a few more.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I look at this in a similar vein to how knights fan(s) must be viewing the frizzel offer.

Is it nice to look at talent to fill our void? Yes.

Is it exciting to think of new opportunities with this player? Yes.

Are we actually likely to sign him? No.

possm

Coach
There was a Suli article posted on NRL.com today which seemed to indicate that he wants to re-sign with Manly. Hard to be confident we'll secure him but glad we are looking in the right direction.
Manly are struggling cap wise and so I doubt that they can hold on to him. Let's hope that Millward can close the deal; or is that someone elses job?