What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons table three-year deal to Moses Suli

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, sensible comment by OT on coaches. I have noted quite a few times on the forum that coaches of course, do have a definite effect on the success of teams. No doubt. However, a strong roster supported by 3rd party $$$ so so so important.

Wayne Bennett won big and often with the big $$$ Broncos. Inherited a great roster sweet spot with us ( wow our 2010 backline was exceptional). From memory dropped to 43% win ratio with knights and headed back to the Broncs for another stint with a big $$$ club. I think Craig Bellamy has the greatest win ratio ( better than immortal Jack Gibson) than any coach. He has stuck with the biggest 3rd party $$$ club for long term in Melbourne. Yes both wayne n Craig top coaches but rosters linked to $$$ stacked in favour.

Nathan Cleary had a record a little worse ? than that of Paul McGregor after nearly 300 nrl games of coaching: then got the Panthers and bingo a premiership with all the young’s guns. Michael Mc Guire has a phenomenal record with Wigan 76% win ratio , won a comp with South’s 56% win ratio overall and tanked over 3 seasons with tigers 38% win ratio. Wigan had an amazing roster, Souths had the Burgess boys and Tigers well an ordinary roster. Even sometimes maligned Paul McGregor had a strong 2018 ( we would have won comp in my view except for late season ending injuries to Gareth Widdop n worse
T Simms in magnificent form). Then in 2019 we lost power prop Leeson Au Mau, metre returning speedster Nene Mc, JDB and his cap $$$ and a fading James Graham.
Have I got this perspective based on the records wrong?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Hi All, sensible comment by OT on coaches. I have noted quite a few times on the forum that coaches of course, do have a definite effect on the success of teams. No doubt. However, a strong roster supported by 3rd party $$$ so so so important.

Wayne Bennett won big and often with the big $$$ Broncos. Inherited a great roster sweet spot with us ( wow our 2010 backline was exceptional). From memory dropped to 43% win ratio with knights and headed back to the Broncs for another stint with a big $$$ club. I think Craig Bellamy has the greatest win ratio ( better than immortal Jack Gibson) than any coach. He has stuck with the biggest 3rd party $$$ club for long term in Melbourne. Yes both wayne n Craig top coaches but rosters linked to $$$ stacked in favour.

Nathan Cleary had a record a little worse ? than that of Paul McGregor after nearly 300 nrl games of coaching: then got the Panthers and bingo a premiership with all the young’s guns. Michael Mc Guire has a phenomenal record with Wigan 76% win ratio , won a comp with South’s 56% win ratio overall and tanked over 3 seasons with tigers 38% win ratio. Wigan had an amazing roster, Souths had the Burgess boys and Tigers well an ordinary roster. Even sometimes maligned Paul McGregor had a strong 2018 ( we would have won comp in my view except for late season ending injuries to Gareth Widdop n worse
T Simms in magnificent form). Then in 2019 we lost power prop Leeson Au Mau, metre returning speedster Nene Mc, JDB and his cap $$$ and a fading James Graham.
Have I got this perspective based on the records wrong?
Well it’s your perspective and entitled to it rasaint, so can’t be wrong…. I just have a slightly different one on some points been made.
Firstly, I don’t believe Bennett inherited such a great roster from us. He ‘delivered’ where those with a much stronger roster before him couldn’t! Also, believe any coach would have struggled after the payment fiasco that happened at the Knights (he did get them to the final the year before that happened..) I also realistically never thought we were going to win the comp in 2018 despite a good semi final result against Brisbane. Stats only tell half a story and we fell away terribly the second half of that year.
IMO, I still believe Harry Bath’s efforts is as good a coaching g performance I’ve seen due to how he developed and changed individual players he’d been given and their overall effectiveness and impact on the game…

Gareth67

First Grade
5F646FE2-F742-409D-95EA-75777C62D841.jpeg
Merry merry Mary would had won the Dragons a premiership , if only given enough time merry merry time.

Old Timer

Coach
Well it’s your perspective and entitled to it rasaint, so can’t be wrong…. I just have a slightly different one on some points been made.
Firstly, I don’t believe Bennett inherited such a great roster from us. He ‘delivered’ where those with a much stronger roster before him couldn’t! Also, believe any coach would have struggled after the payment fiasco that happened at the Knights (he did get them to the final the year before that happened..) I also realistically never thought we were going to win the comp in 2018 despite a good semi final result against Brisbane. Stats only tell half a story and we fell away terribly the second half of that year.
IMO, I still believe Harry Bath’s efforts is as good a coaching g performance I’ve seen due to how he developed and changed individual players he’d been given and their overall effectiveness and impact on the game…
Changs’s record as a coach is also top notch
He inherited a very mediocre roster and a club somewhat in decline and still delivered a 59% win rate.
His international win record was 74% in a time you had to combat the heavy bias of pommy refs
All of course achieved as captain coach with no hangers on or assistants.

Gareth67

First Grade
Changs’s record as a coach is also top notch
He inherited a very mediocre roster and a club somewhat in decline and still delivered a 59% win rate.
His international win record was 74% in a time you had to combat the heavy bias of pommy refs
All of course achieved as captain coach with no hangers on or assistants.
In regards to the bias of the refs , they never changed. The one sided penalty counts over those years - or should I say decades remained constant .

The final test match - in the 70’s where big John O’Neil had his leg kicked so hard that the cut went right to the bone . I remember when the Kangaroos were presented with the trophy even the Chairman of the English league never shook hands with our captain or did the bloke smile

I am quite sure our boys were more than glad when the plane finally touched down at Mascot airport .

SnowDragon

Juniors
Nice to dream but he’s no where near a regular first grader at this point. Perhaps the Dragons will be the team where he finally fires, time will tell.
I know I shouldn’t read too much into the tone of an article, as you don’t know how much is the player expressing it, and how much is the interviewer pushing an agenda, but this sounds really positive.

I personally am not sure about Skúli, especially with the Fegain bros. In the mix who I have huge raps on. However, I readily admit this guy has huge talent and if he fires, and fits in with the team he is the real deal.

Dragon David

First Grade
I know I shouldn’t read too much into the tone of an article, as you don’t know how much is the player expressing it, and how much is the interviewer pushing an agenda, but this sounds really positive.

I personally am not sure about Skúli, especially with the Fegain bros. In the mix who I have huge raps on. However, I readily admit this guy has huge talent and if he fires, and fits in with the team he is the real deal.
We were after Suli before he resigned with Manly. We eventually signed him, so the Dragons recruitment/coach must have been very keen on getting him and must have seen how he could fit into our first grade squad so I'm thinking he will be something special for us.

denis preston

First Grade
He’s made Lomax look silly a few times at training. The guy can play, consistency the key. Unfortunately not his strong point.
That is also not a strong point for 70% of our players the past 8 seasons unfortunately and that's why the cleanout has been long overdue & continuing i hope .

shiloh dc

Juniors
I hope Moses Suli is watching Talakai vs Manly tonight. The are the same size except Talakai has footwork to get on the outside of his opponent, then can draw and pass. GEEEE he can even kick a ball. Genius.
Breaking news - Manly are looking to offload Morgan Harper - frantic calls being made to the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
I hope Moses Suli is watching Talakai vs Manly tonight. The are the same size except Talakai has footwork to get on the outside of his opponent, then can draw and pass. GEEEE he can even kick a ball. Genius.
Breaking news - Manly are looking to offload Morgan Harper - frantic calls being made to the Dragons.
No, no, no to Harper. I'm glad we were able to get Suli. Manly should have kept him and got rid of turnstile Harper.

Latest posts