What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to fly north?

nqboy

First Grade
Dragons eye Suncorp bonanza
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20758173-10389,00.html
Steve Ricketts
November 14, 2006 11:00pm

ST George Illawarra is set to follow the lead of Gold Coast Titans by playing a "home match" against the Broncos at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium next year.

The Titans, who play St George Illawarra at Suncorp in round 1, will also take their round 5 match against the premiers from the 19,000-capacity Carrara Stadium to Suncorp Stadium, which holds 53,000. The two southeast Queensland rivals will meet again at Suncorp in round 17. It will be the Broncos' home gate.

The financial bonanza of a full house at Suncorp has not escaped the notice of St George Illawarra officials, whose home grounds at Kogarah and Wollongong hold about 18,000 each. The Dragons have a huge supporter base in southeast Queensland and a crowd of at least 40,000 could be expected for the round 12 clash with the Broncos.

The NRL yesterday released its 2007 draw with the Titans the big winners, although the Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys also fared well.

"The draw is fantastic for us," Titans managing director Michael Searle said. "We've got two blockbusters at Suncorp in the first five weeks and we've got our wish to play the Sharks at Carrara in round 2 in what we will bill as the battle of the beaches. We also get to play the Cowboys at Cararra on the May Day weekend in what we hope will become a tradition to allow North Queensland fans to travel."

Brisbane opens the season against the Cowboys on Friday night, March 16, at Suncorp Stadium and the Broncos play grand final opponent Melbourne at home in round 7, with the match likely to be on Anzac Day.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club had been granted its wish to have a bye before Origin II on June 13 and he had no major gripes with the draw. But Cullen described it as "a bit strange" that the Titans' first home match against Brisbane would be at the home of the Broncos.

"It wouldn't have been hard to make it the other way round," he said.

Cullen also questioned the wisdom of Brisbane fans being left without a match for a month from rounds 12 to 15 with the Broncos having a bye and playing away twice in that period.

mattyg

Bench
Smart way to boost crowd numbers IMO.

We can't have QLD'ers complaining now that Sydney is getting all the League, when both the Bulldogs and Dragons are planning to play home games in Brisbane, and another team in the comp based in SE Queensland.

Godz Illa

Coach
East Coast Tiger said:
Is there a club that treats its home fans worse than the Dragons? Or at least has a worse attitude towards its fans?
To be fair, there is a sizeable contingent of Saints fans in SE Qld. In any case, I don't see any quotes or pretend quotes from anyone remotely involved with the Dragons in that article.

nqboy

First Grade
If they can only get 13000-odd to a Top-of-the-Table clash with Parra at Kogarah, maybe they need to look elsewhere.

ucantseeme

Juniors
i guess its the same as the Tigers playing one game in Christchurch every year, but why are there so many Dragons fans in SE QLD?

Logical move.

Dragons Broncos matches at Suncorp tend to be blockbusters and get a huge gate, while the Dragons have unrivalled success at Suncorp over the last few seasons.

But yes, its the fans (excluding the qld supporter base) that pay the price. With home games split between two venues, they now have even less games to choose from.

Our home crowds declined in 06 as compared with 05, and maybe this is from somewhat of a backlash against the club. Hopefully the trend wont continue.

It's bloody great news for Dragons fans in SE Qld and for Broncos and league fans in general in SE Qld. It will clearly boost the crowd averages too.
But I'd be pissed if I was a Dragons fan in Sydney or W'gong (which I certainly am not). First they move games to the SFS despite the fans not wanting to go there. Plus they already have to split their games between Sydney and W'gong. Then they threaten to not play any games in W'gong because they reckon they make less cash, only to be saved by WIN TV buying a share in the club. And now they're taking home games to another state. Doesn't worry me coz I don't like the Dragons, but their fans in Sydney and W'gong must wonder. Which venue will lose a game, Kogarah or WIN?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ucantseeme said:
i guess its the same as the Tigers playing one game in Christchurch every year, but why are there so many Dragons fans in SE QLD?
An active local supporters group, based in Brisbane, is part of the reason.
Plus being a one horse media town, some people just see supporting another team as an absolute must - Saints just happen to have a long history of association with Qld.
That, and the fact that lots of NSWelshfolk are invading nqboy's rather sizeable backyard.

jc155776

Coach
ucantseeme said:

Because people are deserting the smog filled sprawling suburbia that is Sydney for the much nicer SE QLD.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
East Coast Tiger said:
Doesn't worry me coz I don't like the Dragons
Actually, you seem to have a fair amount of concern about it
East Coast Tiger said:
but their fans in Sydney and W'gong must wonder. Which venue will lose a game, Kogarah or WIN?
Well there's the detail we still haven't got... assuming the story has even got legs. Its the old let's wait for the reaction trick.

If history is anything to go on, Wollongong gets precedent... and there's now a deal in place to ensure just that. If Kogarah is again denied a 50/50 split, there'll be a large protest. But I don't need to tell you this... it doesn't worry you, right?

juanfarkall

Coach
nqboy said:
If they can only get 13000-odd to a Top-of-the-Table clash with Parra at Kogarah, maybe they need to look elsewhere.

Wasn't that a Friday night TV game played in poor weather ?

ByRd

First Grade
Well the bulldogs are most liley going to play the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium the wkend after Origin 1 is being palyed up there, i think they are hoping that people may go for both games. Will be interesting to see and as this game has been on the GC the last few yrs, i dnt really mind if there is 1 game taken away a year, bulldogs have done it alot by taking games to Wellington, Central Coast, GC and now Brisbane, the dogs also have a massive supporter base up there.

miccle

Bench
The Dragons, Bulldogs and Parra all have a similar-sized large supporter base in south-east Qld. The reason is pretty simple - all three teams were successful in the decades leading up to the Broncos being admitted. Many residents had their NSW teams as well as BRL teams to support and continued that even after the Broncos were admitted.

The Preacher

First Grade
Every year, every f**king year it's the same. I just hope this is a beat-up otherwise there's going to be BIG TROUBLE in LITTLE KOGARAH. :evil:

Southernsaint

Staff member
juanfarkall said:
Wasn't that a Friday night TV game played in poor weather ?

Sure was. It was the coldest I have ever been at a footy game - trips to Melbourne, Penrith & Canberra included...

The actual match was sold out, it was the attendance that was "down".