What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to fly north?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very bizzare that a Sydney team feels it can draw a bigger home crowd in Q'land? Doesn't say alot for the Dragons fans or maybe facilties!

Southernsaint

Staff member
Perth Red said:
Very bizzare that a Sydney team feels it can draw a bigger home crowd in Q'land? Doesn't say alot for the Dragons fans or maybe facilties!

The club’s CEO is on record that he wants Jubilee & WIN to be “boutique” stadiums, whatever the f**k that means…

Saints fill Jubilee on a very regular basis so you can’t blame the fans…

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Shark park was going to be a 'boutique' stadium a few years ago. They even released a picture of that they envisioned and it looked like something from a Harry Potter movie.

Parra Guru

Coach
Southernsaint said:
Sure was. It was the coldest I have ever been at a footy game - trips to Melbourne, Penrith & Canberra included...

The actual match was sold out, it was the attendance that was "down".

That's correct, such a shame too, the match at kogarah in 05 was a cracker too.

I think it's a great idea. Parra also has a large supporter base up there, I'd much prefer them to take a home game up there than to NZ. We would achieve more in QLD imo.

hitamn

Juniors
dont tell me thet fill kogarah southernsaint, against the inform storm they only pulled 14000 last season,and against the broncos in at win they didnt even break the 13000 barrier, so much for the army. i was at those games along with the semi against the storm which had 42000 and i just wonder where those fans are during the year,wat theyll only turn out for the semis.
i think it great business sense by the dragons to take this game to brisbane, wish they had moved the parra game in 05 to the sfs that would have made even more sense

miccle

Bench
The way you look at it, Saints DO have a big supporter base in Sydney from what I know and have seen. But how many people can really only afford or can only make all the games at WIN and not Kogarah. Or only half the games at one of the venues due to work/money/family/other commitments. It stands to reason that there would be plenty, and that all of them would make a huge commitment to travel out for the semi-finals matches.

I go to every Broncos game in Brisbane along with one or two away games each year, but I also realise that isn't possible for many people for many different reasons and I don't begrudge anyone for doing their best to support their team as best they can.

Dutchy

Immortal
why do teams trade their home games away...who cares about money...play for pride...play for your fans...home games are special...treat em that way...give your fans every oppurtunity to support ya

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Perth Red said:
Interesting theory - but you haven't thought it through. Have you ever been to Lang Park when Broncos play Saints? Its a big drawcard.

Dragons fans travel well and have supporters all over the place. It has already been discussed in this thread that there is good support for Saints in Queensland... has been for decades.

hitamn said:
dont tell me thet fill kogarah southernsaint, against the inform storm they only pulled 14000 last season
Selective 'fact' finding at its best. LOL.
Dragons v Storm in 2006 was above average for a Storm away match - they don't have a big fan base and for them, Kogarah was good turnout.
It was also a relatively good Sydney crowd for that round. There were a number of games under 10,000. Kogarah performed above the round average while other Sydney crowd figures fell into a crater.
Two weeks earlier, Kogarah got an 'oki record' crowd, ie larger than anything achieved there since Kogarah re-opened.

When Kogarah packs them out, people whinge that the game should have been played elsewhere. And now if there's a crowd which falls below 15K, people whinge that the game should be moved elsewhere.
Must be the pies.

_Johnsy

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
Shark park was going to be a 'boutique' stadium a few years ago. They even released a picture of that they envisioned and it looked like something from a Harry Potter movie.

Quidditch anyone ?