What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs St Helens

Dragon David

First Grade
In context I think we went pretty well against a full-strength Saints outfit. A couple of their try's were, mmm, let's say piggy-backed from some questionable calls, but hey, it goes both ways right!

More important for me was those who (a) didn't play this weekend, due to injury, rep football or personal issues, most of these players would be in our starting 17.

So, out were: (and leaving out Amone and Ramsey)
Injured list: Hunt, Bird, Sullivan, Woods (ahem), JDB and Sua
Unavailable: Francis and Michael Molo
Rep duty: Sloan, Kerr, Fuimaono and Musgrove

Taking a look at the rep players performance yesterday:

1: Musgrove: 9 runs 84m, 49 pcm, 3 tackle breaks, 19 tackles 0 missed, 0 errors
2: Sloan: 5 runs 54m, 6 pcm, 1 line break, 0 tackle breaks, 5 tackles 0 missed, 0 ineffective, 0 errors
3: Kerr: 15 runs 135m, 51 pcm, 1 tackle break, 18 tackles 2 missed, 3 ineffective, 2 errors

Going to highlight Fuimaono as his stats a not a good read:
4: Fuimaono: 9 runs 80m, 38 pcm, 1 tackle break, 19 tackles 11 missed, 2 ineffective, 2 errors.

I would think Fui plays a lot of KOE Cup this year. Kerr seems to shine in these All-Stars games, but hopefully now can transfer to club level.

Importantly, this game did highlight our, imo, the correct call to focus on signings at the junior level. There were heaps to be impressed with and remember some of those playing yesterday are still eligible for SG Ball. A couple were also pulled into the squad in the last minute when the Molo brothers dropped out.

Our best indicator of how we have or haven't progressed will come in the CS game.
All good what you say Dragonslayer.

In my opinion, out of all the clubs that have played so far in these trials, we have played the toughest team and with a number of "unknown abilities" in our team we did pretty good considering that we matched them for a good time.

randomdragon

Juniors
Saints fan point of view

We lacked intensity, that was the plan with Penrith next week. Players not wanting to get injured. We used all 26 players throughout the game so lack of fluency as well. Our last 30 minutes was our reserve side.

Good run out for Lewis Dodd who has missed 9 months with a ACL injury.

We was missing our best player in Morgan Knowles who adds so much to the team. When he plays he lifts the whole team.

Good run out. Like i said i think we had a great chance of beating Penrith in the UK at our stadium. Playing in Australia in that heat next week against one of the greatest NRL sides of recent years. I just want a decent performance. We spent 3x less on players with our salary cap so lets be realistic.
ok bro... without pointing out the obvious you do know we had 2/3rds of our salary cap on the sidelines?

Iron Mike

Juniors
Agreed, The couchmans were excellent and
Dan Russell should be the back up back rower over billy burns, he is more than capable with some excellent performances for PNG
Lui-Toso looked like a handful
Agreed HH
Toby Couchman tackled everything that moved and showed good line speed . I would pick him at lock next week considering both Bird and DeBelin are out.
I also think Dan Russell looked better than Burns.
Just hope Hook starts looking to the future with of these young guys. No more Toga, Woods, Fuimono

Iron Mike

Juniors
That young blonde kid in the forwards was a stand out late in the game what was his name.
Mickey
Dylan Egan is probably the one you are referring to , more of a strawberry Blond / redhead - love his energy.
Both the Couchman boys have light brown / blond hair and both played very well especially in defence.
Egan is about 18 months younger the the Couchman boys and has still not finished growing. All three would have faster line speed and greater energy than our current Ist grade back row .

jak

Bench
Mickey
Dylan Egan is probably the one you are referring to , more of a strawberry Blond / redhead - love his energy.
Both the Couchman boys have light brown / blond hair and both played very well especially in defence.
Egan is about 18 months younger the the Couchman boys and has still not finished growing. All three would have faster line speed and greater energy than our current Ist grade back row .
both the Couchman boys have graeme wynn's haircut

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Given lawrie was taken of in the first half for HIA and Ciric hurt himself early I thought Russell did well for his 10 to 15mins at prop before shifting wider

Looked Napa from a distance when Napa was playing well at the Roosters.....lots of sting in defence

Maybe a very important bench player in the future?

Plays wing second row and at a pinch middle for small mins if required

Victoire

Juniors
Yep Couchman reminded me of his Thirroul Butchers alumni, Matt Prior

Also want to mention Zac Herring, in particular the power of his boot. Was so noticeable after watching Moses Mbye's popgun kicks in the first half.. and then seeing the ball explode into the air like a missile from Herring's boot.

st.phil

Bench
Yep Couchman reminded me of his Thirroul Butchers alumni, Matt Prior

Also want to mention Zac Herring, in particular the power of his boot. Was so noticeable after watching Moses Mbye's popgun kicks in the first half.. and then seeing the ball explode into the air like a missile from Herring's boot.
Early days but his boot and frame reminded me of Burton

Victoire

Juniors
Early days but his boot and frame reminded me of Burton
haha yeah my 7 year old son called him Matt Burton too. He's a smart kid so I tend to agree.

I also watched Josh Cook closely, purely because he was the only Dragon doing the sideline warm-ups who made an effort to high five the kids at the fence. He only got 8 minutes of game time and seemed to be playing in the halves on the edge. Barely touched the ball.

This Year?

Immortal
Saints fan point of view

We lacked intensity, that was the plan with Penrith next week. Players not wanting to get injured. We used all 26 players throughout the game so lack of fluency as well. Our last 30 minutes was our reserve side.

Good run out for Lewis Dodd who has missed 9 months with a ACL injury.

We was missing our best player in Morgan Knowles who adds so much to the team. When he plays he lifts the whole team.

Good run out. Like i said i think we had a great chance of beating Penrith in the UK at our stadium. Playing in Australia in that heat next week against one of the greatest NRL sides of recent years. I just want a decent performance. We spent 3x less on players with our salary cap so lets be realistic.
Nice to read the take from a Saints fan. On TV looked like quite a few Saints fans on the hill and hopefully the locals showed some Aussie hospitality. It's a rare treat for us to host a fixture against an English team of St Helen's calibre even if it's a only a trial. I hope it happens again next year.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Enjoyed the event well enough. Didn’t see a whole lot of improvement in the team. Some good individual moments (and some shockers), disappointed that we seem to be under ‘safety first, don’t pass the ball in your own 50’ instructions again.

Happy that we have about half a dozen to come back in.

Old Timer

Coach
Last year we saw some really innovative play in the Charity Shield which sadly dried up very quickly once the season proper started.

It is to be hoped that innovative play is the hallmark of what we do on the paddock as from the very next game until season end.

Lot's of young blokes with obvious ability that needs to be tapped into and their creative instincts need to be encouraged but of course fine tuned to ensure > 60% success rate to avoid being forced into minimal risk safety 1st plays.

If Kerr is to be in 1st grade then it is to be hoped that his offloads are encouraged and with the amount of time we have invested in him he has learnt when and where and let's hope that Lomax takes that into account with his flick pass as it is most useful but only at the correct time.

I feel if we start playing some creative footy then those that have been in the system for some time will be less likely to force plays and create blunders.

Hook & Co please take notice that there is a great opportunity and we should grasp it with enthusiasm rather than think that few mistakes is going to be the norm so therefore adopt a conservative is best approach.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A bit worried about Rava....looks like he is struggling. Not sure if not fully fit, or if his best is past him now. Still strong, but not playing as good as he was a year or 2 ago. The younger leaner wingers are surpassing him these days. But, if he does get injured or dropped....please, not Moga
Moga- the winger you end up with when you buy cheaply at the Reject Shop.

kit66

Bench
A bit worried about Rava....looks like he is struggling. Not sure if not fully fit, or if his best is past him now. Still strong, but not playing as good as he was a year or 2 ago. The younger leaner wingers are surpassing him these days. But, if he does get injured or dropped....please, not Moga

There's a couple waiting in the wings in Tamale and Finau and even Treigh Stewart is an option but I'd rather he plays another year in the lower grades. We need some speed.