What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs storms (make it or break it)

True_Believer

Juniors
Funny how someone tells people to "lighten up" when it suits. Maybe I should use more emoticons.

Well with respect, I suggest you try to comprehend what's written in front of you. And I'm sorry if it was too long, but this is a discussion forum and sometimes the issues deserve more than ambigious one-liners.

Come to think of it, this post may very well do your head in. If so, then I ask again to please accept my apologies in advance.

And this not about Jubileeboy, and it certainly isn't about me. But let's face it, Jubileeboy weighed into the debate by essentially telling people to shut up. IMO, it's not healthy for discussion.

I only ask that you address my points, if you can. Argue against those points if you wish. But please, let's not whinge when a frank exchange of views is at hand.
I'll take up the option of correcting you. But firstly let me say it is ironic that you are attempting to provide my answers for me. I can see you're after something that is either black or white. I believe the issue is far too complex for that. In my opinion, the club politics alone has made it hard for rational decision-making. But I'll do my best to answer from another angle, and in one line...

I wouldn't say "sack McGregor" right now. Mainly because I know we are stuck with him for the forseeable future. My view is that it will need to get a lot worse - even worse than Price - before the board turns on him. Plus he isn't the only one of course.
Of course, but also who knows? I'm of the view that we should be looking outside.
Indeed, but don't be so hard on yourself.

Thanks for the reply Willow. Maybe I am blind, but I can't see where you have offered up any alternatives to Mary in the current market.

Maybe the question isn't framed correctly. Let me put it this way - hypothetically, if Mary got the sack tomorrow, and you had an opportunity to choose his replacement, which currently available coaches or potential coaches would you choose to review for the position?

Edit: I am genuinely interested to know who you do consider as suitable replacements.

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
If Mary was sacked tomorrow.....Basil would take over. Thank God Mary isn't going to be sacked anytime soon.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
Thanks for the reply Willow. Maybe I am blind, but I can't see where you have offered up any alternatives to Mary in the current market.

Maybe the question isn't framed correctly. Let me put it this way - hypothetically, if Mary got the sack tomorrow, and you had an opportunity to choose his replacement, which currently available coaches or potential coaches would you choose to review for the position?

Edit: I am genuinely interested to know who you do consider as suitable replacements.

Good question.

I was against Mary s appointment at the time and had massive doubts.

But I respect what his done with basically the same squad as price.

There are better replacements, but are there better available replacements?

Our main issue lies in our board. The decisions made in the past have put us in this position.

With the cattle he has had to work with, add also where they were when he took over, I think IMHO Mary deserves some credit and another year to continue the climb.

giboz71

First Grade
Good question.

I was against Mary s appointment at the time and had massive doubts.

But I respect what his done with basically the same squad as price.

There are better replacements, but are there better available replacements?

Our main issue lies in our board. The decisions made in the past have put us in this position.

With the cattle he has had to work with, add also where they were when he took over, I think IMHO Mary deserves some credit and another year to continue the climb.

I have seen enough from Mary to suggest he can take the club forward. But he needs to surround himself with assistants who are tactically astute, especially in attack. All the top sides have them, Broncos have Kearney/Walters, Cowboys have Cartwright, Roosters have Holbrook/Fitzgibbon, Rabbits have Kurt Wrigley, Storm have Brownie and so on.....

It's clear our assistants, particularly the attacking coaches are doing nothing to help the team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Questioning the coach's abilities and the board's ability to appoint the coach are things that should be open for discussion.
Thanks for the reply Willow.
No worries, thanks to you as well.
True_Believer said:
Maybe I am blind, but I can't see where you have offered up any alternatives to Mary in the current market.
That's because I didn't.

To summarise: I said the time isn't right. I also said it was an illogical argument to have. Plus, I do believe I agreed with your summation of my view on this, ie not my decision and who knows?

True_Believer said:

Let me say it a different way: I don't pretend to know. I went as far to say that it would be arrogant to pretend to know. A coach who doesn't succeed at one club may very well succeed at the next club, and vice versa. It could be someone on the fringes, a rookie in the wings or even a complete unknown. But again, who knows?

I only suggest that when the time is right, we should look outside. There has been some real success when we have done this in recent times. I suspect the infrastructure at Saints is pretty good, but needs a competent outsider in order to get the right fit.

dragonreddy

Juniors
The stats are open to interpretation and whilst I acknowledge that a loss is a loss - I think it's obvious to anyone who's watched the Dragons the past 4 seasons that there is a big difference in the way our 2015 side loses in comparison to the sides of 2012, 2013 and 2014.

In a hypothetical match, Mary's Dragons easily account for Price's Dragons (despite almost being identical on paper).

To compare Mary to Price is rubbish and suggests a very short memory.

Straight Shooter.

Not having a shot at you Nick, but the fact that an obviously passionate supporter of the club is having to rationalize our situation down to losing in a better way is a fair indication of the way the club is run.

hazzbeen

Bench
Not having a shot at you Nick, but the fact that an obviously passionate supporter of the club is having to rationalize our situation down to losing in a better way is a fair indication of the way the club is run.

DragonreddyI like you have said much the same as you on same thread...(.Niick what you say is right.....they are loosing , but putting in the effort.....mate this is the problem with the club at the moment and has been for a couple of years and I have had enough of close enough is good enough.....a loss is a loss.... Not Marys fault it comes back again to Doust and the board for making and running the club to the current stage....Whether Mary is any good or not blame the people who put him there..... Bottom line is we are still loosing, in a improved way.......)

Latest posts