What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRAGONS: Was it a sporting fluke?

Numerous posts about me in different threads, seems like I've hit a real raw nerve eh Taxi Driver

*yawn* Unlike Stains most of our fans have employment and a condition of this is I must turn up and work. Might come home later and put on a tape of a legitimate non-asterisk grand final or something.

Have fun talking to yourselves

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Waiders, when are coming back to the Swamp in Dragons LU?

You seemed a little unsettled with your last post there.

Numerous posts about me in different threads, seems like I've hit a real raw nerve eh Taxi Driver

*yawn* Unlike Stains most of our fans have employment and a condition of this is I must turn up and work. Might come home later and put on a tape of a legitimate non-asterisk grand final or something.

Have fun talking to yourselves

Garbage Truck Drivers still don't have access to computers yet?

j0nesy

Bench
Watched the game again last night. Overall The Roosters had the better of the calls in the first half. This thread is a bit of joke really. 32-8 - "the ref robbed us", no surprise to see Canberra fans involved in the ref bashing.

Doomednow

Bench
At the risk of being shouted down and misinterpreted... (please read whole post before replying)

I'd just like to say I sort of see the point of this thread. When the points that the OP has presented it does seem like the Dragons had a bit of luck at least in those instances.

HOWEVER... Were they likely to win it anyway? I'd say yes. They had been playing that well that any advantage they may have been privy to was insignificant. It was their own skill, determination, and discipline that got them to the premiership, and they deserve their accolades.

Only thing I really wish had gone differently (apart from Panthers winning it of course)... Bulldogs beat Manly in the last round. Then we get an almost guaranteed win (Manly were unlucky with injuries and such) and a 3rd week appearance (hooray), then the Dragons get to spank the Raiders when it counts (and I believe they would have) and we may have heard less from a certain fan of theirs. Maybe.

to_ddeath

Coach
You know your jibes don't annoy Dragons fans.

They're laughing at you. They have the Premiership. Your comments wont remove it.

But you are making yourself look like a bitter prat. Congratulations..... if that was your intention.

Good call, & you and your supporters have been extremely gracious and sportsmanlike on here over the past week which we greatly appreciate.
Though TBH i've been laughing at RP since just before the semis, only now he's becoming extremely repetitive & unfunny.
Looks like it's Waiders against the world right now. So sad but true.

T.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In 2003 Roosters were considered by some to be Gallop's favourite.

I thought was rubbish then.
At the risk of being shouted down and misinterpreted... (please read whole post before replying)

I'd just like to say I sort of see the point of this thread. When the points that the OP has presented it does seem like the Dragons had a bit of luck at least in those instances.

HOWEVER... Were they likely to win it anyway? I'd say yes. They had been playing that well that any advantage they may have been privy to was insignificant. It was their own skill, determination, and discipline that got them to the premiership, and they deserve their accolades.

Only thing I really wish had gone differently (apart from Panthers winning it of course)... Bulldogs beat Manly in the last round. Then we get an almost guaranteed win (Manly were unlucky with injuries and such) and a 3rd week appearance (hooray), then the Dragons get to spank the Raiders when it counts (and I believe they would have) and we may have heard less from a certain fan of theirs. Maybe.
I have no doubt that we would have beaten any team in the grand final. The way the team played in the second half was tremendous. They saved their best for the final 40 minutes of the season.

The Dragons played hard on the field and were scandal free off the field. The discipline of the side was top class. The fitness levels were the best in the League. But even then a team needs to lift in the big matches and at the right times.

The Tigers were falling away in the latter stages of the Preliminary Final. Quite frankly I thought we had it won 20 minutes out. It would have been a travesty if WT jagged a win, but if they did I would have accepted it and congrats would have been in order. As it turned out, the better team won on the day.

In the Grand Final, the Roosters played their best football in the first half. Even so, they couldn't convert it to into anything better than a two point lead.

At half time (and imo this was crucial), the locker rooms were quite different scenes. Bennett was giving advice and talking to an attentive group of Dragons players. Meanwhile Brian Smith, the school teacher, was scribbling tactics on a white board, drawing lines and arrows to a tired looking group of Roosters players. I didn't see it at the game of course, but watching the replay spoke volumes imo.

As for the ridiculous conspiracy theories, people can build up any scenario if they're determined and paranoid enough to do so. But the facts are there, Saints won through on their own merits, winning the minor premiership, qualifying for the grand final, and winning the decider, smashing the last opponent standing by 26-0 in the second half.

The season stats also support this. On the ladder, Saints were four points clear of second place, were the best defensive team, and had already beaten the runners-up twice in the season.

That should be enough to tell you that Saints were the best team of 2010.

But there's always those in denial. If we failed, there'd be a line of them out the door calling us chokers. But if we win, the sooks cry foul. IMO, it is a coward who takes such an each way bet.

Last edited:

OldMan Dragin'

Juniors
I think this sums up the Dragons in 2010 quite well
Some of the differences between winning and losing are:

WINNING Hanging on, persevering
LOSING Letting go, giving up easily

WINNING Accepting responsibility for your actions
LOSING Always having an excuse for your actions

WINNING Taking the initiative
LOSING Waiting to be told what to do

WINNING Knowing what you want and setting goals to achieve it
LOSING Wishing for things, but taking no action

WINNING Seeing the big picture, and setting your goals accordingly
LOSING Seeing only where you are today

On the WINNING side we have the Dragons(16) and the LOSING side, Bubby and all the other sore losers(?) get a life, get over it, move on!

Cheers
OldMan Dragin'

Ulysseus

Bench
Wow, you are really, really sad

And you may be as stupid as I am "sad".
Contrary to popular belief, it takes very little effort to copy and paste someones stupid comments into a document as they appear for later reference.
When the comments are made by a grade A sh*t head like yourself, the job becomes easier as the amount of posted stupidity becomes a non stop moronathon from which there is no escape, your posts are pretty much like a black hole of faggotry - determined to try and appear like some kind of mix between a quasi intellectual and a brain dead Nostradamus impersonator.
Realistically, I could replace all the comments in my other post, that were authored BY YOU, with other comments you have made and the resultant level of stupidity, inaccuracy, blundered predicitions and the general impression you have no f**king idea about the game itself - would not lessen one f**king iota.

Does it really burn you that much that Saints won the title?, were you simply not content to ruin multiple game day threads throughout the year that you have to continually chime in with sh*t in the wake of their victory?
If so, you are one sad little man.

Honestly, most Roosters supporters (99.9999%) have taken this loss better than some of the brain dead f**kwits on here that support other teams THAT WEREN'T EVEN IN THE f**kING GAME!

clifford

Juniors
Congratualtions to all St George Illawarra supporters on your first premiership.

Pity some St George supporters are trying to hijack it as their own and get offended when anybody suggests otherwise.
As Bob Millward said, "They had the money and no players and we had the players and no money". So does money win you a premiership or players?

Anyway, now that all the hype is more or less over, let's put this year into perspective.

After winning in 2005 the Tigers have had to endure a period of many supporters calling their win a fluke. Why I am not sure.

So was 2010 a fluke?

The Tigers did not receive the massive gifts from the NRL in 2005.

1/ Did the NRL remove the best team in the 2005 competition?
No, they had to beat all other 15 teams.

2/ Did they get gifted an international player midway through the competition?
No. What irony that the NRL kick out a team for salary cap breaches yet allow an extra international on top of the other 12 representatives that St George Illawarra already had for the remaining $50K in their salary cap. How many rep players do the Storm have? No doubt it is all above board.

3/ Did they put in place a referees boss who was an ex-player?
No. Some of the decisions in the last couple of years have been as dicey as the Tandy tackle. That Eastwood "holding back" of Soward. The Gasnier try against Manly. The knees in Lote's back which broke his ribs with Jeremy Smith being found guilty. If the Tigers score that goal, how different would this year have been? Yet all Finch can say is "Sorry we got it wrong. That video ref is taking a week off to get it right".

4/ Did they have an Archer refereeing their games?
No. Interesting that Archer has come out defending his 15-1 stats saying they have been the best team the last two years. Amazing how none of the other referees have similar stats vs St George Illawarra. If they revert back to the one referee system, goodness help the team playing St George Illawarra if Archer is the referee.

So was this year a fluke? St George Illawarra have been a blimp on the radar when it comes to Grand Finals this century with what has been one of the best player rosters going around. Nothing. Zilch. Zero. Not even a runners up cheque. All of a sudden they win a Grand Final in a year where they get all the favours (see points 1 to 4).

So it begs the question that if they don't win the Grand Final in 2011 with the best player roster in the competition with 12 representative players and arguably access to the best juniors in the country coming out of the Illawarra plus the best coach in the world plus with ex-Dragon Finch moving on plus an independant commission to hopefully properly police the salary cap and referees, will people say that the asterisk on the 2010 NRL premiership actually means a sporting fluke? I think most will.

View attachment 2751

aghh what a knob.

dragons premiers 2010 mate. dont forget it.
what excuses have u used every other yr that your team hasnt won the comp. just a sore loser is all you are. oh as well as a c#ckhead

Buddy

Juniors
Congratualtions to all St George Illawarra supporters on your first premiership.

Pity some St George supporters are trying to hijack it as their own and get offended when anybody suggests otherwise.
As Bob Millward said, "They had the money and no players and we had the players and no money". So does money win you a premiership or players?

Anyway, now that all the hype is more or less over, let's put this year into perspective.

After winning in 2005 the Tigers have had to endure a period of many supporters calling their win a fluke. Why I am not sure.

So was 2010 a fluke?

The Tigers did not receive the massive gifts from the NRL in 2005.

1/ Did the NRL remove the best team in the 2005 competition?
No, they had to beat all other 15 teams.

2/ Did they get gifted an international player midway through the competition?
No. What irony that the NRL kick out a team for salary cap breaches yet allow an extra international on top of the other 12 representatives that St George Illawarra already had for the remaining $50K in their salary cap. How many rep players do the Storm have? No doubt it is all above board.

3/ Did they put in place a referees boss who was an ex-player?
No. Some of the decisions in the last couple of years have been as dicey as the Tandy tackle. That Eastwood "holding back" of Soward. The Gasnier try against Manly. The knees in Lote's back which broke his ribs with Jeremy Smith being found guilty. If the Tigers score that goal, how different would this year have been? Yet all Finch can say is "Sorry we got it wrong. That video ref is taking a week off to get it right".

4/ Did they have an Archer refereeing their games?
No. Interesting that Archer has come out defending his 15-1 stats saying they have been the best team the last two years. Amazing how none of the other referees have similar stats vs St George Illawarra. If they revert back to the one referee system, goodness help the team playing St George Illawarra if Archer is the referee.

So was this year a fluke? St George Illawarra have been a blimp on the radar when it comes to Grand Finals this century with what has been one of the best player rosters going around. Nothing. Zilch. Zero. Not even a runners up cheque. All of a sudden they win a Grand Final in a year where they get all the favours (see points 1 to 4).

So it begs the question that if they don't win the Grand Final in 2011 with the best player roster in the competition with 12 representative players and arguably access to the best juniors in the country coming out of the Illawarra plus the best coach in the world plus with ex-Dragon Finch moving on plus an independant commission to hopefully properly police the salary cap and referees, will people say that the asterisk on the 2010 NRL premiership actually means a sporting fluke? I think most will.

View attachment 2751

I had to bump this.

Wow 3 years on and my quotes are pretty much true.

It was definitely a sporting fluke. 2010 the Bradbury Permiership.

Gaz leaves after a couple of years and the NRL couldn't do anything to fix the rort they allowed.

Finch finds a cushy job in the Dragons back office the year after.

Archer has now moved on.

Bennett saw it coming and jumped ship leaving the rubbish to poor Pricey.

The Dragons find themselves 2nd last on the table three years later and looks like they will be one position lower next year. The new cellar dwellers.

Last edited:

Amozzie

Juniors
Wow.

The only 2 posts in your forum career.

Both in the same thread nearly 3 years apart. The second post, simply to highlight the first.

The hours must fly by!

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
Full credit for creating this thread and never posting again, until today. That takes alot of effort.

Canard

Immortal
You can picture the calendar hanging in the empty brick wall flat, with every day for the last 3 years being ticked off in red.

Latest posts