What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons will play WCC

Minh

First Grade
"The famous Red V", I like that, and I like the way the Dragons are calling the shots lol.

I'm suprised we didn't just try and give the arse to one of the other games for the Charity Shield, probably the Canterbury game since there is a contract in place for the Melbourne game in Perth.

Edit: seeing Timmah's post below, I guess there wasn't any contract to play in Perth next year.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Official release

St George Illawarra today confirmed that the Club will play three pre-season matches in the lead-up to the 2011 season.

The Dragons will play the traditional Charity Shield against the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Sunday, February 13, the Bulldogs on Friday, February 18 and the World Club Challenge against the Wigan Warriors on Sunday, February 27.

“The 2010 Premiership success and the subsequent option to play in the World Club Challenge necessitated changes to our original plans for the 2011 pre-season,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust. After lengthy discussions and negotiations, I am very pleased to be able to confirm our 2011 pre-season arrangements. “It has been important to take the necessary time to ensure that all arrangements with respect to the Charity Shield and the World Club Challenge were appropriate for our Club, in particular commitments with respect to travel, training and the commencement of the season proper,” added Doust.

“It was especially important given the 2011 Telstra Premiership scheduled away trips to the Gold Coast, New Zealand and Newcastle over the opening four rounds.

Dragons Coach Wayne Bennett was pleased to have the arrangements finalised and is looking forward to the 2011 season.

“It will be a challenging start to the year for us but I'm more than satisfied with the preparation we'll have leading into both the World Club Challenge and the opening round of the 2011 season proper,” Bennett said.

“With my commitment to the NRL All-Stars I won't be there for the lead-up to the Charity Shield but we will be going into that match with the best possible team available,” he added.

The team will depart for the United Kingdom on Saturday, February 19 and train in London and Manchester prior to the World Club Challenge.

Dragons pre-season matches:
Sunday, February 13: Charity Shield v Rabbitohs; ANZ Stadium
Friday, February 18: Dragons v Bulldogs; venue tbc
Sunday, February 27: World Club Challenge v Wigan, DW Stadium, Wigan

Tickets for the Charity Shield will go on sale through Ticketek in early January. With today's confirmation of the

World Club Challenge the Dragons are waiting to receive ticketing information from Super League Europe and will communicate these details with Red V Members, Partners and fans as soon as possible.

The Dragons will officially return to training on Monday, November 29 in Wollongong.

http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20199

I can't see the Bulldogs game being played in Perth. I'd assume a local South Coast ground, perhaps Shellharbour or Albion Park as it is the Mercury Challenge.

RedVDave

First Grade
I am really happy that we are playing two trials before the WCC so we won'y be rusty against Wigan because I believe the ESL start their season 2-3 weeks before the NRL does.

The Major

Bench
Its the cold they have got to get used to playing there. Im sure theyll get a few touch up sessions during the week to get the lungs used to sucking in the icey cold air. Nothing compared to match fitness in the same elements but gotta make do with whats available i suppose.

T_B

Juniors
Its the cold they have got to get used to playing there. Im sure theyll get a few touch up sessions during the week to get the lungs used to sucking in the icey cold air

To be honest one warmup game in england wont make much difference, the worst weather for a rugby game is freezing rain = cold hands = dropped ball. Dry and cold like today in england shouldnt be a problem for any player.

This game should really be played after the end of the SL/NRL GF, played in England then Australia in alternate years. Last time this match was in Australia it drew 54k at the Suncorp Stadium, what sort of attendance would it draw in 2010?

JJB Stadium is a great place to watch footy. People crap on about Suncorp vs SFS, but for pure atmosphere the big RL stadiums in England are fantastic. I went there in 2003 for Aust vs Great Britain (the game where Adrian Morley got sent off 10 seconds into the game), and the atmosphere was wonderful (and the beer was cheaper than at the pub in town!).

For those going over, both Liverpool and Manchester are close by so you wont be short of anything to do either.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I'll be taking in the Sheffield United V. Derby game from Bramall Lane, I don't have much time for overpaid, diving tossers ;-) I like my English football tough and 'ard like it should be played, no mincing or long, greasy haircuts in the Championship :p

Big Norm

The Major

Bench
Good morning all,
Just a quick note to advise that the Dragons are almost ready to go to market with their Official Supporters World Club Challenge Tour - they are just crossing some T's and dotting some I's as we speak, and have advised they will release Tour Package information via their web-site and mail-out some time this afternoon - of course, I will release this information to all of you personally.
I am ready to accept bookings as soon as the announcement is made......
I can confirm, that the Tour will be hosted by Wendell Sailor and Graeme Wynn - as previously mentioned, the Tour will depart for London (Qantas flights) on Saturday 19th February and the duration will be 8 x nights, departing Manchester on 28th February.
There will be an Exclusive 'Official Tour' Cocktail Party in London with the players and*coaching staff, at their Hotel to be hosted by Wendell Sailor, Graeme Wynn and Wayne Bennett - there will be photo and autograph opportunity at this function.
We will attend a training session with the players in London and also in Wigan.
Each Tour member will also be given a Dragons World Club Challenge 2011 Polo Shirt.
Seating at the World Club Challenge will be in the Northern Stand - the traditional area allocated for away supporters. For those not wishing to sit in this area, there will be a limited number of seats in either the West or East Stands (sidelines) - at a surcharge of $35.00 / ticket. There will also be Corporate Hospitality and seating available for those interested for an additional charge - to be advised.
Once again, many thanks for your patience, and stay tuned.
Ross Harrison
Ross Harrison Travel

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
im already going to be in london at that time so im not going on the official supporters tour. Just wondering where about in the stadium everyone else heading over will be sitting??

Latest posts