What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drug cheats?

My recollection is that McDougal was busted for roids, then the excuse came out that it was some medication thing, which was bought by the powers that be and McDougal has been using performance inhancing drugs ever since.

He should be used as an example to show that performance enhancing drugs don't work

:p

caylo

Bench
McDougal used a steriod to prevent asthma. It is quite common and hardly what you would call drug cheating

Big difference between cortio steriods and Growth Supplements, they would have never pulled him up for having Cortio Steriods in his system.

Also he would have to have a sever asthma attack to be on Cortio Steriods, they arn't that commonly used beause they suppress the Immune System. I doubt he would have been playing firstgrade after a sever bout of asthma.

caylo

Bench
yes yes i know but what exact drugs constitute performance enhancing?

depends what sport to be honest, beta blocker slow down the heart rate and are peformance enhancing in sports like shooting and archery, but would be suiside in Rugby League.

Caffine (in very large amounts), as mentioned Anabolic steriods and Growth Hormones. Diretics are used often to mask the use of drugs, so they arn't performance enhancing but are not allowed to be taken.

There are studies to find out if Cocain and Hash have any sort of performance enhancing abilities.

if your really intrested look it up at WHO

Hanscholo

Bench
O'Davis used a supliment that was previously legal in 97 and was put onto the banned list in 98. I dont really care what you say about the other guys but O'Davis is not a cheat. There were thousands of athletes all over the world using it at the time legally.

Richards was the only one with the balls to stand up and say he injected steroids. MacDougall apparently had a medical clearance to take what he was on, however, the subsequent ban stood and honestly i dont believe the guy was telling the truth for one second. He went from being an also ran reserve grader at the roosters to an absolute blockbusting winger at the knights. Some of his performances were unbelieveable.

There was also the unfortunate case of the young Trent Estetheo given drugs by his father. Given the kid was still a minor and it subsequently destroyed his career its hard to throw blame on him too.

no name

Referee
Short memories around here? Is this better?
:roll::roll:

Willie Mason
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/23/1085250871136.html?from=storylhs

Willie Mason's club doctor says the troubled player is suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, which accounts for his off-field behavioural problems. Brad Walter reports.

Bulldogs officials yesterday revealed that troubled NSW Origin forward Willie Mason was suffering from a mental condition and confirmed for the first time he had tested positive to a banned substance.
Club doctor Hugh Hazard said Mason, who has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), was unable to take the medication he required because it was on the NRL's list of prohibited drugs, but moves to enable him to legally do so were already well progressed.

MSKnight

Juniors
Trent Estetheo.

Sad but true. Anyone watch that interview about his dad injecting animal steriods at such a young age to make him grow?

Pretty sure Maddog was done for testosterone.Had something to do with his body not producing enough of its own.He was allowed to keep taking it if he kept it to NORMAL levels.I always thought he was not quite as devastating after testing possitive.
Rodney Howe was the blatant one.

Last edited:

Latest posts