What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Drugs, sex, domestic violence: football's dark cover up

Generalzod

Immortal
Former England rugby star Sam Burgess denies sensational claims in Australia that he had to be injected with liquid tranquiliser after a drug-fuelled binge, failed drugs tests for MDMA and ketamine and assaulted his pregnant wife in front of her father
  • A report in the Australian has made serious allegations against Sam Burgess
  • The three incidents involving Burgess all allegedly took place in November 2018
  • His club were allegedly aware of his alleged drug use before making him captain
  • But his lawyer Mark O'Brien has strongly denied all the accusations in Australia
By KISHAN VAGHELA FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 04:43 AEST, 2 October 2020 | UPDATED: 05:20 AEST, 2 October 2020

Sam Burgess' lawyer has denied sensational allegations in Australia of drug use, domestic violence and harassment against the former England rugby union and league star.

A report in The Australian claimed three separate incidents involving Burgess were covered up by Australian rugby league side South Sydney Rabbitohs, who are also accused of using fake identities to hide positive tests for illegal substances.

Burgess' lawyer Mark O'Brien, however, has strongly denied all the allegations against the 31-year-old, who is now a coach at the club.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...g-use-domestic-violence-claims-Australia.html
I’m not saying that Sam used these drugs but statistics show that that the use of mdma leads to violent acts.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...aggressive-inquest-hears-20190708-p525ar.html

The party drug MDMA can cause "mild mannered and peaceful people" to become aggressive, an inquest has heard.[/QUOTE]

Frederick

Staff member
EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE: Slammin' Sam Burgess getting ready to open a can of whoopass on his heavily pregnant wife

Hk1.gif

Pommy

Coach
I’m not saying that Sam used these drugs but statistics show that that the use of mdma leads to violent acts.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...aggressive-inquest-hears-20190708-p525ar.html

The party drug MDMA can cause "mild mannered and peaceful people" to become aggressive, an inquest has heard.
[/QUOTE]

MDMA normally just made me want to dance like a f**king nob and then get really intensely focussed on how good everything felt. I remember sitting at a party rubbing a make up brush across my face for about 2 hours once.

Some very heavy allegations there. For that sort of public whipping to have made it past the Aussie's legal team you'd think there'd have to be some serious evidence available (I believe the article makes reference to NSW Police statements.)

yobbo84

First Grade
My only comments are:
If true, I hope those responsible at the club are dealt with as harshly as possible.
If false l, I hope those responsible at News Ltd are dealt with as harshly as possible.

Vic Mackey

Referee

MDMA normally just made me want to dance like a f**king nob and then get really intensely focussed on how good everything felt. I remember sitting at a party rubbing a make up brush across my face for about 2 hours once.[/QUOTE]

:joy: those were the days

mave

Coach
Skip to:Main ContentSite NavigationSite footerSite Map

HomeNationalWorldLifestyleTravelEntertainmentTechnologyFinanceSportWeatherIn the Know QuizNewslettersAbout usFollow UsPrivacy policyRelevant ads opt-outTerms and conditionsOur TeamAccessibilitySite mapHelp

news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

SportSports LifeNRL responds to bombshell Sam Burgess allegations

OCTOBER 2, 20209:19am

NEWS.COM.AU1:10

Sam Burgess: From NRL star to AVO controversy

Sam Burgess was once one of Rugby League’s brightest stars. However, in recent times his life has taken a spectacular downward spiral.

news.com.au

The NRL and South Sydney have been rocked by serious allegations levelled at former Rabbitohs star Sam Burgess on the eve of the finals series.

After a four-month investigation into various off-field matters, The Australian newspaper published an exclusive report on Thursday night.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on Kayo. Every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

It includes claims that South Sydney officials went to great lengths to prevent the public exposure of the raucous post-season celebrations of the English-born star late in his career.

Burgess’ lawyer Mark O’Brien last night issued a stern rebuttal of claims in the newspaper directed at his client.

“The allegations are false and constitute an indefensible defamation against my client,” Mr O’Brien told the newspaper.

“It is apparent sources of the false allegations are those currently in dispute with my client over various issues.”

Speaking on 2GB this morning, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said the NRL would launch an investigation into the allegations.

“We’ll investigate them, no doubt about that,’’ he said.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“But I stress, all parties including the South Sydney club, Sam Burgess deserve due process and natural justice.

“Once we have all the information we’ll make the appropriate decisions.

“It would be totally inappropriate for me to comment on this particular case, I don’t have sufficient facts.

“And like anyone else in the community you have to provide due process and natural justice and Sam should be afforded that.

“But in this instance I think the appropriate action would be to investigate it, get all the facts and make a judgment after that.’’

Channel 10 reports NSW Police is investigating and the rugby league community is demanding answers.

“Souths and Sam Burgess have serious questions to answer today,” veteran rugby league reporter Danny Weidler said. “These details demand that Burgess and other officials be stood down whilst investigated.”

Burgess was one of the NRL’s best players.Source:News Corp Australia

Sam Burgess and Phoebe as a new couple in September 2016. Picture: Ryan Pierse/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

English rugby league star Burgess joined South Sydney in 2010 and quickly became one of the game’s premier forwards and was instrumental in the Rabbitohs’ 2014 premiership success, winning the Clive Churchill Medal as the best player in the grand final.

He left the sport for rugby union in 2015 and was part of England’s disastrous World Cup campaign before returning to rugby league in 2016.

Named one of the best players of the 2010-2019 decade, Burgess battled shoulder injuries late in his career before he was medically retired at the end of the 2019 season.

It saw increased scrutiny of his private life including a messy break up with now estranged wife Phoebe. The pair separated in 2018 but reconciled in early 2019 before finally splitting in October 2019.

After the split, Burgess was hit with an apprehended violence order after an alleged dispute in Bowral with Phoebe’s father Mitchell Hooke.

Burgess has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.

His lawyer Bryan Wrench told court in November 2019 they were “false allegations” but the AVO was upheld with the case set to be heard in this November.

As little as two weeks ago, Burgess, who has taken on a role as development coach with the Rabbitohs under the tutelage of Souths coach Wayne Bennett, was being linked a potential return to the NRL.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have been contacted for comment.

Burgess has been being mentored as a coach by Wayne Bennett at South Sydney.Source:Getty Images

Phoebe and Sam Burgess in November 2018. Picture: Instagram.Source:Instagram

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...s/news-story/06e9d924dae35a5ac030393fa343da35

I just love how PVL wants to follow due process and natural justice before doing anything.

A pity JDB didn't get any due process or natural justice before being thrown to the wolves by the NRL.